The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

8th Annual CDCFL Entry Draft (2021 Edition)

Nail

Thank you.

This next pick and our final pick of the draft barring any unforeseen events came to Canada with the Finnish Elite Team at the age of 12, scoring a goal and an assist. He has grown substantially since this photo was taken.

Dsc 5176 medium

He returned to Canada to join the Kitchener Rangers in 2019-20, putting up 15 points in 53 games as he broke into North America for his first season over here aside from those handfull of preteen games. 

image.jpeg.1e7c7963cc342dcb6644a6b442dab2ba.jpeg

He made a painful choice to return to Scandanavia with the advent of Covid and its various league shutdowns and hockey interuptions. This proved pivotal to his growth and development. Growth is an understatement as he now stands at 6'4" and although overlooked in the draft last season, he was eligible then. He is eligible now as well. 

The difference is that in the year span of time the big defender managed to put up 15 points in 15 games with JYP of the U20 SM Liiga, 7 goals and 8 assists, and then 3 points in the Finnish Mens Professional Liiga and a goal and an assist in his only two games in their version of the AHL: the Mestis Liiga. 

He is contracted to JYP of the Liiga until the end of the 23/24 season but he has a North American out clause, thankfully. 

And so with no further ado: the Vancouver Canucks are SUPER THRILLED to draft Ville Ottavainen, with hopes that he will return to Kitchener following this draft class. a PPG player against his own age group from the opponents blueline and a steady defender, he has no problem on the breakout, or holding the defensive blueline as the case may be. At just 18, turning 19 later this year, a return to the OHL this fall could see him rocketing up depth charts seemingly from nowhere, or so my scouting team tells me. (Thank you Eetu, hehe. )

Before you watch him score this hat trick earlier in the 2021, january i beleive, you should know that the first game his parents came over to Ontario to watch him in the OHL, he scored FOUR POINTS in one match. ; ) And now this hat trick, where he stands head and shoulders above the opponents and team mates alike: his skating isn't so bad though, the second clip is two years old now. haha. 

@theminister I think you are on the clock sir.