The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2022 NHL Entry Draft

10 hours ago, HighOnHockey said:

And a couple points on positions: not sure what Kemell is playing in Liiga this year, but when I saw him at international youth tournaments he was mostly on the wing. Slafkovsky is listed as LW on EP but he's mostly played C when I've watched him.

Thanks!!!

Ya I just jotted positions down how they were listed. I haven't done a deep dive on this draft class yet.  These are just the standout guys to me so far from what I have seen of this draft class from the past year or 2 and what made them standouts to me. I mostly just wanted to post it as a time capsule and see how different my final list is on draft day. 

I have put a bit more emphasis on size this year than I have in past drafts. 

Re Kemell from what I have seen he's been playing mostly LW from what I can tell but he's listed as a RW/C maybe next week Defense?

Edited by hammertime

On 11/17/2021 at 10:14 PM, hammertime said:

Slovakia is goin to be fun to watch this year with Nemec, Slafkovsky, Mesar. 

Add in the 2023-eligibles and they could be a legitimate threat to medal at WJCs in a couple years. Dalibor Dvorsky looks like the third best player for 2023 behind Michkov and Bedard, and looks like maybe the type of prospect who could go first overall in some weaker drafts. Alex Ciernik and Ondrej Molnar rounded out a top six that could go head to head with anybody at Hlinkas. And then Maxim Strbak is a player I've had my eye on for a while as a potential top D for 2023.

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, HighOnHockey said:

Add in the 2023-eligibles and they could be a legitimate threat to medal at WJCs in a couple years. Dalibor Dvorsky looks like the third best player for 2023 behind Michkov and Bedard, and looks like maybe the type of prospect who could go first overall in some weaker drafts. Alex Ciernik and Ondrej Molnar rounded out a top six that could go head to head with anybody at Hlinkas. And then Maxim Strbak is a player I've had my eye on for a while as a potential top D for 2023.

TANK NATION! LFG!!!!!!

6 hours ago, HighOnHockey said:

Also, what are your thoughts on blowing this entire team up for another rebuild. Only keep Pod, Hog, possibly demko. Meaning we trade Petey, Hughes, Boeser, Horvat, Miller. 

Edited by DontMessMe

People are getting antsy about this years draft already which is good.  But are sleeping on the fact that if we sell off Miller and Boeser/Pettersson don't pick their crap up we'll be looking hot next year too for a top 5 pick.

What a couple of drafts to be drafting highly

• Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

People are getting antsy about this years draft already which is good.  But are sleeping on the fact that if we sell off Miller and Boeser/Pettersson don't pick their crap up we'll be looking hot next year too for a top 5 pick.

What a couple of drafts to be drafting highly

If we continue to suck I'd very much like to see a Miller trade at the deadline. Or the draft. He's gotta be worth a 1st and a B prospect at least. I don't see him re-signing here. And if he does it won't be cheap.

12 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

If we continue to suck I'd very much like to see a Miller trade at the deadline. Or the draft. He's gotta be worth a 1st and a B prospect at least. I don't see him re-signing here. And if he does it won't be cheap.

I wouldn't want to trade much more than Miller. Possibly Boeser, but would have to be for a young top four defenseman, not just picks/prospects. No possible reason to trade Pettersson or Hughes. I'd rather hold on to Horvat too.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

35 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

I wouldn't want to trade much more than Miller. Possibly Boeser, but would have to be for a young top four defenseman, not just picks/prospects. No possible reason to trade Pettersson or Hughes. I'd rather hold on to Horvat too.

Exact same sentiment I have.

if we trade Miller makes sense. Probably not going to resign, timeline wise and cap wise if we can get a younger upside prospect and a pick or just a solid young player think we should.

boeser I would be open to trading as well.

Ideas and names floating around I liked were Boldy and Schneider and throw in a high pick this year it’s an interesting retool idea. But Boldy may be somewhat untouchable 

don’t really like the idea of dumba or fiala for. Minnesota though. 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

I don't see Boeser netting much. Definitely not a top 4 d-man. Flipping Miller for a 1st and a B prospect also nets us the possibility to swap our likely higher 1st round pick, assuming it's outside the top 5 but still top 10, for that top 4 d-man preferably right handed d-man.

Well, since I declared I have lost my mind..

"IF" we are trading players, and Boeser and Miller are on the block

Lets get some picks, and prospects

It would be Minus 11 or 12 million off of next years Cap, and as long as Benning is not allowed to touch it, we can pick up a few cap casualties 

But going into this draft with 3 -1st plus would be incredible

Canucks would be a top 5..........................Nemec or Juricek............both RHD and big, they both are sitting in the 5 to 7 range, so that is promising

then there are great prospects throughout the entire 1st and into the 2nd

Who are you watching  @HighOnHockey ?

Just for $hit and giggles............say we have 3 picks in the first.......and they are

2022-1st (5th OA)

2022-1st (16th OA)

2022-1st (22nd OA)

Who interests you with these picks?

Just now, J.I.A.H.N said:

Well, since I declared I have lost my mind..

"IF" we are trading players, and Boeser and Miller are on the block

Lets get some picks, and prospects

It would be Minus 11 or 12 million off of next years Cap, and as long as Benning is not allowed to touch it, we can pick up a few cap casualties 

But going into this draft with 3 -1st plus would be incredible

Canucks would be a top 5..........................Nemec or Juricek............both RHD and big, they both are sitting in the 5 to 7 range, so that is promising

then there are great prospects throughout the entire 1st and into the 2nd

Who are you watching  @HighOnHockey ?

Just for $hit and giggles............say we have 3 picks in the first.......and they are

2022-1st (5th OA)

2022-1st (16th OA)

2022-1st (22nd OA)

Who interests you with these picks?

With our 1st hopefully Nemec.

With the other 1sts any of Jiricek, Salomonsson, Chesley, Luneau, Casey

All of those players are RD. This is a real good draft for RD

• Cheers 1

Figured I'd try my hand at another list. Next good look at most of the prospects won't come until World Juniors. I haven't watched a ton so far this season, but most of these players I've had many viewings over the past couple years, so my emphasis for now will still be on the total body of work. As the season progresses I will put more focus on who is doing what this season as prospects reach and adapt to higher levels of competition.

1. Shane Wright - I read a comparison to a modern day Steve Yzerman somewhere and I liked that, with the way he maneuvers through the high slot. I recall Marco Rossi stood out in that regard a couple years ago too. Pretty much imagine a 6'1, 185 Marco Rossi, but a better skater with a better shot.

2. Ivan Miroshnichenko - Simply too much upside and so he remains number two for now, but there's a logjam of very talented players in the next 5 or 6 spots all nipping at his heels. If he doesn't find another gear pretty soon, he could fall a few spots. Worst case he could be something like a Bobby Ryan. Best case he could be a cross between Austin Mathews and Ilya Kovalchuk.

3. Juraj Slafkovsky - Not too often you see a guy this size with moves like this. Rick Nash comes to mind for me. Early in the season so I'm still more looking at past performance and raw talent, but like Miro, he'll need to start performing at the pro level or some guys are going to pass him.

4. Simon Nemec - Just a pro. Nothing too special, but there's almost no question he'll be a reliable two-way workhorse in the NHL for a long time.

5. Danila Yurov - This kid is the ultimate pro. I remember people joking that Markus Naslund used to celebrate scoring goals by looking like his dog just died. Yurov is the same way. After a goal he just skates back to the bench looking like he's ready to go back to work. Thick, sturdy kid who plays a meat and potatoes, north-south game first, but also has some pretty high level moves in his arsenal. Reminds me a lot of Tarasenko.

6. Joakim Kemell - I know, I know, he's so hot right now. But I had him outside my top 10 coming into the season. Not gonna throw away the last two years of scouting him at various levels just because he's off to a hot pro start. Tons of skill and upside, but far too cute far too often.

7. Matthew Savoie - Lots of similarities between Savoie and Kemell actually. Both smallish, elite skill, tend to do too much. But whereas Kemell is fancier, Savoie is more explosive. Best case scenario he may be something like a Tyler Seguin.

8. Frank Nazar - Sort of in the same category as the previous two. My top five was dominated by pro-style players with size and NHL-translatable qualities. Next comes a stretch of more boom-bust type prospects. As I've talked about frequently, I think Nazar is both in the top three or four most purely skilled and entertaining players in the draft, and he's also among the top few best defensive forwards in the draft. If it wasn't for him being barely 5'10, he'd probably be in my top five. I see little bits of Patrick Kane, Lucas Raymond, and Antonio Stranges.

9. Tristan Luneau - A cerebral assassin. Hockey sense and deceptiveness are top-end. Not the flashiest offensive defenseman but does everything well and has the frame to be a two-way workhorse in the NHL who could put up serious numbers just by virtue of playing 24 minutes a night and transitioning the puck efficiently.

10. Seamus Casey - In the mould of guys like Hughes, Makar, Drysdale, an elite skater with elite skill and exceptional defensive ability. Just the size is the major cause for concern.

11. Rutger McGroarty - Plenty of size and skill. He's at his best making plays and stickhandling down low and in traffic through the high-danger areas, but I would like to see a little more jump in his step when he is away from the puck.

12. Conor Geekie - Not a guy I've seen a lot of yet. Lots to like, but not sure about the high-end skill at this point.

13. Logan Cooley - Extraordinary hockey IQ. Uses his teammates well, pretty high skill level. Shows some flash and pizzazz in his playmaking; not so much attacking one-on-one.

14. David Jiricek - I know some people are big fans, but not a guy I've seen a lot of yet. I watched some highlights recently and I can see what the hype is about, but I'll need to see him more in real time to move him up my list much.

15. Brad Lambert - He really needs to settle himself down and figure this out, or he'll continue falling. Still lots of time and a big World Juniors would go a long way. But the top 15-20 of this draft is just too good. He needs to start performing or guys are going to just keep passing him.

Edited by HighOnHockey
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

Unrelated to This draft but wow 2019 draft was one I followed really close. Top 10 pick, plethora of high end kids, crazy crop of US dev players, lottery chance of whetting Quinn’s brother, or local d prospect Bryam and guys I was super high on: 

zegras

krebs

newhook

Seider

and honestly so many of these kids are making their mark in the league right now or on the verge of.

what a crazy draft it’s been.

im super happy with the Podkolzin pick. As stylistically and physically he’s a type of player we need. Also I feel Hes going to become a big time leader for us.

for this draft upcoming I know very little. But if this year continues and this road trip goes to $&!# I will start looking a lot closer as a top 5 pick will be in our future.

The top 5 players I’d like to see the Canucks land with this years first, and I’m leaving Wright (the obvious #1) off the list because we should all know that the Canucks luck will not allow us that pick. 
#1 Matt Savoie

#2 Juraj Slafkovsky

#3 Simon Nemec

#4 Conor Geekie

# Danila Yurov

Honourable mentions to Kemell, Cooley and Jiricek. 

22 minutes ago, Marv-the-wet-bandit said:

The top 5 players I’d like to see the Canucks land with this years first, and I’m leaving Wright (the obvious #1) off the list because we should all know that the Canucks luck will not allow us that pick. 
#1 Matt Savoie

#2 Juraj Slafkovsky

#3 Simon Nemec

#4 Conor Geekie

# Danila Yurov

Honourable mentions to Kemell, Cooley and Jiricek. 

Landing Simon Nemec would be a homerun for me. Where do you guys think that he will land? Are we thinking 5th to 10th overall? 

44 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Landing Simon Nemec would be a homerun for me. Where do you guys think that he will land? Are we thinking 5th to 10th overall? 

I think he’ll go 3-7 range. There’s still so much hockey and evaluating left but I see him going around 5 and not being there at 10. Some very exciting and intriguing guys in this class