The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2022 NHL Entry Draft

1 minute ago, N4ZZY said:

Wow. If we could get another 1st or 2nd, I’d take him on. But there are obviously red flags for someone who was ranked #2 and then dropping to the second round. 

Yeah, wouldn't that be cool if the Canucks did find another late 1st and nabbed him at around #25.  Got to think, he was ranked #2 for a reason before.

Apparently, Miro is currently suffering from some 'serious health problems'. No idea what it could be.  

3 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Yeah, wouldn't that be cool if the Canucks did find another late 1st and nabbed him at around #25.  Got to think, he was ranked #2 for a reason before.

Apparently, Miro is currently suffering from some 'serious health problems'. No idea what it could be.  

Hodgkin’s Lymphoma and likely taking at least a year off hockey. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, DrJockitch said:

Hodgkin’s Lymphoma and likely taking at least a year off hockey. 

Thanks for the info. That's terrible for him, but hopefully it's just a year and he comes back strong and ready for the NHL. If VAN had that extra late 1st, I wonder if it would be worth taking a chance on him?

3 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Thanks for the info. That's terrible for him, but hopefully it's just a year and he comes back strong and ready for the NHL. If VAN had that extra late 1st, I wonder if it would be worth taking a chance on him?

I definitely would.  Would almost even consider taking the risk with our current 1st round pick.  The form of Hodgkins he has is apparently one of the more curable ones, so there's a good chance he'll be back playing high level hockey in a couple years.

5 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Well, if he slides well into the 2nd or even 3rd, I’d definitely take a flyer on him. That could be a major steal. 

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

I definitely would.  Would almost even consider taking the risk with our current 1st round pick.  The form of Hodgkins he has is apparently one of the more curable ones, so there's a good chance he'll be back playing high level hockey in a couple years.

You’d hope so right? I’m not sure if I’d take the risk with a late 1st, because he very well could not return to health, like at all. A mid to late 2nd, yes, absolutely worth the pick. And if he slides well into the 3rd round, you better damn take him. 

I’m sure there are other teams that are more willing to take the risk, compared to the Canucks, though. I’m just not sure if we can afford to take those first round risks, even if it’s in the 20 range.

I was the biggest Miro fan from very early early. Had him #2 right up until his sudden absence. But a lot of people thought he should be lower. Many had him 7-12 range. Tough to say how the risk/reward barrier breaks down here. Russia situation will already have Russians falling. Hodgkins isn't a great thing, but lets just take it for granted that he will beat the disease - still, how much long-term impact could there be? Even just missing another full year of development (he only had ~30 games last season, including international play), he's going to be far behind on his development. If he does have 50 goal, 100 point potential though, I'd probably take him late 20s. I have a group of about 25-27 players I consider a clear first-round tier. I'd take him anytime after all of those guys are gone. Kid has got raw talent out the wazzoo.

Miro and Trikozov on a PK here is ridiculous,

Edit: posted wrong clip first time.

Edited by HighOnHockey
  • Cheers 1

On 4/7/2022 at 8:16 PM, HighOnHockey said:

I was the biggest Miro fan from very early early. Had him #2 right up until his sudden absence. But a lot of people thought he should be lower. Many had him 7-12 range. Tough to say how the risk/reward barrier breaks down here. Russia situation will already have Russians falling. Hodgkins isn't a great thing, but lets just take it for granted that he will beat the disease - still, how much long-term impact could there be? Even just missing another full year of development (he only had ~30 games last season, including international play), he's going to be far behind on his development. If he does have 50 goal, 100 point potential though, I'd probably take him late 20s. I have a group of about 25-27 players I consider a clear first-round tier. I'd take him anytime after all of those guys are gone. Kid has got raw talent out the wazzoo.

Miro and Trikozov on a PK here is ridiculous,

Edit: posted wrong clip first time.

Yeah. I think with the Russian/Ukraine situation, it’s going to be a tough sell for teams to take a risk on him. Possibly a contending team who could roll the dice on him. Even if he doesn’t work out, that would be okay for said team. For us - we cannot afford to have any busts moving forward (especially first round selections), so if Miro falls into the second or even third round, I’d take a flyer for sure, as many other teams would as well. 

Maybe even for a second round selection. But there’s no guarantee he beats this disease, let alone rebound from being so behind in his development. Who knows if he even catches up development wise. 

2 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Yeah. I think with the Russian/Ukraine situation, it’s going to be a tough sell for teams to take a risk on him. Possibly a contending team who could roll the dice on him. Even if he doesn’t work out, that would be okay for said team. For us - we cannot afford to have any busts moving forward (especially first round selections), so if Miro falls into the second or even third round, I’d take a flyer for sure, as many other teams would as well. 

Maybe even for a second round selection. But there’s no guarantee he beats this disease, let alone rebound from being so behind in his development. Who knows if he even catches up development wise. 

I wonder if the Russian military drafts players currently playing in NA? 

With the Canucks looking likely to pick somewhere in the teens barring a playoff miracle, what are some players we're thinking of targeting in that range? Here's a few noticeable players I found that would fit nicely into our prospect pool:

• Tristan Luneau - 36 pts in 56 games in the Q. 2-way, 6'2 RHD.
  • Denton Mateychuk - slightly undersized offensive LHD. PPG for Moose Jaw this year in the WHL
  • Danila Yurov - I think he drops because of the Russia - Ukraine war. If available at 15 or so you take him and run
  • Noah Ostlund - high motor high skill forward, I think in a redraft years down the line he'll rank way higher
  • Kevin Korchinski - another PPG d-man from the WHL. "Escapability" off the charts a la Hughes
  • Marco Kasper - strong skating 2-way center with offensive upside. Putting up decent points in the SHL this year. Has NHL size
  • Liam Ohgren - absolutely ripped apart the J20 league in Sweden this year. Plays with a lot of pace and tenacity. Projectable frame
  • Ivan Miroshnichenko - will definitely drop due to his condition, the question is how far?
  • Cutter Gauthier - toolsy player with an NHL shot. Committed to Boston U next year
  • Jonathan Lekkerimaki - just an absolute sniper. 7 goals in 26 SHL games as a 17 year old

If I had my choice of all these players I would absolutely go with Danila Yurov. Marco Kasper a close second, I think he'll be a player.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Stech said:

With the Canucks looking likely to pick somewhere in the teens barring a playoff miracle, what are some players we're thinking of targeting in that range? Here's a few noticeable players I found that would fit nicely into our prospect pool:

• Denton Mateychuk - slightly undersized offensive LHD. PPG for Moose Jaw this year in the WHL
  • Danila Yurov - I think he drops because of the Russia - Ukraine war. If available at 15 or so you take him and run
  • Noah Ostlund - high motor high skill forward, I think in a redraft years down the line he'll rank way higher
  • Kevin Korchinski - another PPG d-man from the WHL. "Escapability" off the charts a la Hughes
  • Marco Kasper - strong skating 2-way center with offensive upside. Putting up decent points in the SHL this year. Has NHL size
  • Liam Ohgren - absolutely ripped apart the J20 league in Sweden this year. Plays with a lot of pace and tenacity. Projectable frame
  • Ivan Miroshnichenko - will definitely drop due to his condition, the question is how far?
  • Cutter Gauthier - toolsy player with an NHL shot. Committed to Boston U next year
  • Jonathan Lekkerimaki - just an absolute sniper. 7 goals in 26 SHL games as a 17 year old

If I had my choice of all these players I would absolutely go with Danila Yurov. Marco Kasper a close second, I think he'll be a player.

We should pick the best player regardless of where they’re from.  

• Cheers 2

41 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

Stealing @hammertime's idea of doing rankings by position. Center was incredibly difficult. I did my best to list as many dual C/Ws as wingers as possible, but still had to leave out a lot of really good center prospects, so I'll give honorable mentions here to Filip Bystedt, Ilya Kvochko, Rieger Lorenz, Owen Beck, Jiri Kulich, Ryan Greene, Luca Belluz, Jack Hughes.

LW

1. Juraj Slafkovsky

2. Gleb Trikozov

3. Liam Ohgren

4. Cutter Gauthier

5. Brad Lambert

6. Isaac Howard

7. Alex Perevalov

8. Jani Nyman

9. Ludwig Persson

10. Reid Schaefer

C

1. Shane Wright

2. Logan Cooley

3. Conor Geekie

4. Matthew Savoie

5. Marco Kasper

6. Rutger McGroarty

7. Noah Ostlund

8. David Goyette

9. Adam Ingram

10. Matyas Sapovaliv

RW

1. Danila Yurov

2. Jonathan Lekkerimaki

3. Frank Nazar

4. Koakim Kemell

5. Jimmy Suggerud

6. Filip Mesar

7. Jagger Firkus

8. Jordan Dumais

9. Nicholas Moldenhauer

10. Jack Devine

LD

1. Kevin Korchinski

2. Denton Mateychuk

3. Pavel Mintyukov

4. Owen Pickering

5. Calle Odelius

6. Lian Bichsel

7. Artem Duda

8. Mats Lindgren

9. Isiah George

10. Simon Forsmark

RD

1. Simon Nemec

2. David Jiricek

3. Tristan Luneau

4. Seamus Casey

5. Ty Nelson

6. Maverick Lammoureux

7. Ryan Chesley

8. Elias Salomonsson

9. Sam Rinzel

10. Noah Warren

Where's Miro?  

wheres waldo 90s GIF

Thanks for sharing HOH!

Edited by hammertime

20 hours ago, Stech said:

Out of that list I would be selecting Jonathan Lekkerimaki if available. 

2 hours ago, hammertime said:

Where's Miro?  

wheres waldo 90s GIF

Thanks for sharing HOH!

Lol, Lots up in the air. I'll wait and see if there's any updates prior to the draft regarding how his treatment is going, as well as how is the situation in Ukraine looking. Worse case scenario he could be DND.

In a vacuum, if there was no extenuating circumstances with Russia or his illness, I'm still not sure. Would be tight between him and Slafkovsky. I had Miro ahead until late in the season, but since the Olympics Slafkovsky has really found his game at the pro level, and based on his recent play I'd have him ahead of what I saw from Miro this season, but Miro seemed to be also just hitting his stride late in the year before he was shut down, so it's tough to say.

1 hour ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Out of that list I would be selecting Jonathan Lekkerimaki if available. 

Lol, easy pickin's. I mean I have Yurov ahead in my rankings, but try to stick to pure hockey and upside for those. Given the Russia situation, brass tacks I would take Lekkerimaki. Absolutely no way he's available by 14 or 15 though, in my opinion.