The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2022 NHL Entry Draft

26 minutes ago, Off_The_Schneid! said:

I would guess only 1 of those players would be available at 30 

Maybe, but I also think some teams could take chances on Miroschichenko , Luneau, Lamoureaux, Ostlund, etc.

(RD) Sam Rinzel might be another option.

20 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

I was watching Donnie & Dhali earlier and they had Shane Malloy on, talking about what the Canucks need, and he seems to agree they need D.  As far as D prospects, they really only have 1 - Jack Rathbone. That's not good enough.

Regarding which side, it doesn't matter.  It's about projecting what the player will be like in 3-5 years. OEL will be gone and who knows if Dermott will still be here. The Canucks will need to fill the LD spots just as much as the right.  It comes down to BPA (skating, IQ, etc), or which player has the most upside at #15. 

The Dman VAN selects at #15 has to be a #1-3 Dman in the future, otherwise he's not worth taking in the 1st Round.

Malloy said something similar to: the Dmen VAN could be considering at #15 are:

Korchinski

Pickering

Odelius

This doesn't really excite me. I am hoping there's some wheeling and dealing on Draft Day, maybe the Canucks get a 2nd or another 1st. 

I’d add Mintyukov and Mateychuk on this list of dmen. Really hoping we get one of Mintyukov, Korchinski or Mateychuk at 15th. If neither are there the next BPA could be a Center prospect like Lambert.

16 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

I’d add Mintyukov and Mateychuk on this list of dmen. Really hoping we get one of Mintyukov, Korchinski or Mateychuk at 15th. If neither are there the next BPA could be a Center prospect like Lambert.

That'd be cool,  I dunno. It doesn't seem that outside of the Top 10, there are many players that make me go "wow".  I have a feeling that Yurov and Lambert will drop, but I sure wouldn't mind if Connor Geekie fell to the Canucks, but doubt he will.  WPG picks right before VAN, so they might want to take him - seeing as he already plays for the WPG Ice (WHL). I don't think they let him slip by. 

Maybe Korchinski and Mateychuk become #1-3 Dmen someday? 

36 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Mintyukov could definitely be an interesting player for the Canucks and is projected to go somewhere around 15th. Missed all last year and is Russian, but commited to playing in NA and scored 17 goals from the blue line. His ceiling is higher than Mateychuk in my opinion.  

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I’d be really tempted. Sounds like the Hodgkin’s lymphoma diagnosis is going to push him down to late first or possibly even the second round, so it’s almost certain that he’ll be on the board for us. Had he not gotten sick, I’d imagine he’d have made his way through the top-10 and possibly into the top-5 of this draft.

He’s looking at around 90% survivability, but it’s anyone guess what the odds of he’s cured and returns to full athletic ability. Probably still quite high, but there are some potential lasting after effects, even if the treatment is successful.

But the upside, wow. I’ve seen him described as having one of the best shots in the draft and also being one of the best skaters. And all that comes with the size and playstyle of a power forward.

The few criticisms of his game (defensive positioning; shift-to-shift consistency; somewhat disappointing production, relative to ability, this season, etc) are all very likely to improve, assuming he recovers, and with maturity and coaching. And it’s quite possible any weaknesses/flaws he showed this past season were (at least in part) the result of the undiagnosed Hodgkin’s lymphoma, which tends to cause fatigue.

It’s definitely a big gamble at 15th overall, but the rewards could possibly justify it. Just a really tough call to make, especially when we don’t pick next until the third round. If we were holding multiple top-50 picks, I’d definitely earmark one of them for Miroshnichenko.

Still, if it’s his name called at #15, my reaction will mostly be positive (depending on who else is on the board) and certainly with a fair amount of excitement, albeit coupled with some trepidation (we’re not exactly known for being lucky when it comes to this kind of thing :(). If he gets through this medical issue unscathed, I see him being a very good top-6 NHL player one day, and one who could fit in quite nicely with the future core of this team.

EDIT: Here’s what two working NHL amateur scouts (speaking anonymously) had to say about Miroshnichenko (from an article yesterday in The Athletic):

Ivan Miroshnichenko, LW, Omskie Yastreby (MHL)

Scout 2: I love this player. I think he’s a lock (as a) top-10 talent.

Obviously, his health issue and long-term health are something teams are going to have to do their homework on. But he’s a hard-skill player, a really good shot, two-way game. He wears a letter with the national team, even at the U20 in November he wore a letter as the youngest player there. He’s got a heaviness to him, he can score, he can create, he’s hard to knock off the puck — his game translates very well to North America.

Scout 1: It’s unfortunate that he’s ill and you’re just glad to hear that he’s doing better. To me, he’s the best Russian-born skater.

Right now I have no idea where he’ll get drafted because of his illness. This guy though, I mean he was dynamite at the U17s last year. He’s got everything: power, scoring ability. I’d rate him as a top-5 talent in this draft class.

Yeah personally I had him 2nd overall and in the mix for 1st overall before his diagnosis. Forget top six forward, I think he has 50 goal, 100 point potential. But between the Russia situation and the illness, I would be very surprised if he went as high as 15.

1 hour ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Mintyukov could definitely be an interesting player for the Canucks and is projected to go somewhere around 15th. Missed all last year and is Russian, but commited to playing in NA and scored 17 goals from the blue line. His ceiling is higher than Mateychuk in my opinion.  

17 goals and led his OHL team in points as a dman. If he was on a better scoring team he could have another 10-15 points to his name. I think he’s a top 10 talent in this draft. I just hope our management doesn’t reach for a RHD because we seem to be too late on the high end guys but too early for the next couple of RHD’s expected to go in the 1rst round.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Canucks need D, doesn't matter if it's left or right. 

my list:

1. Nemec

2. Jiricek

3. Mintyukov

4. Korchinski

5. Pickering

6. Odelius 

Don't want Mateychuk or Casey = too small

Mateychuk isnt that much smaller than Odelius, its 5'11" 187lbs vs 6'0" 185 lbs. Im not personally sold on Odelius or Pickering, while I see the potential and tools they possess neither has fully put it together yet to the point that indicates they will be able to produce at the NHL level. Pickering is a very boom or bust prospect I feel like. If it comes down to Luneau, Chesley, or Odelius, I hope they go with a RD as all three have untapped potential.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Mateychuk isnt that much smaller than Odelius, its 5'11" 187lbs vs 6'0" 185 lbs. Im not personally sold on Odelius or Pickering, while I see the potential and tools they possess neither has fully put it together yet to the point that indicates they will be able to produce at the NHL level. Pickering is a very boom or bust prospect I feel like. If it comes down to Luneau, Chesley, or Odelius, I hope they go with a RD as all three have untapped potential.

Considering we are looking for possible future partners for Hughes and Rathbone, I think both are too small. Lol. 

I think after all the lottery and everything that's gone on, my shortlist of players at 15 would be: Mintyukov, Nazar, Lekkerimaki, Yurov, Korchinski. Judging by the articles and mocks from The Athletic and Sportsnet, and also Twitter.. it seems like Mintyukov may fall into the teens because on the team side, they don't rate him as highly as the rankings. Even though people say he doesn't play with structure, I love the dynamism he brings and reminds me of Sergachev a little. Nazar would honestly be a great injection of speed and skill, which is what the management group has been preaching since they've entered the building. Also, I find it hard to believe that Nazar would be available at 15 but if we are talking about a shortlist, then I would have him on there. Same goes for Lekkerimaki. I think he's a great shooter, but concerns about if he can playmake at a higher level. What I said about Nazar is the same for Lekkerimaki. He's been trending up for the last couple of months.. kind of like McTavish last year when he was talked about in the Canucks range (8-10) but was hyped up so much he went #3 to Anaheim. Yurov is an interesting case because the hands and skills remind me of a top 10 player, but the Russia factor looms large over him. Could the Canucks take a chance there where they just say f*** it and take him based purely on ability? Reminds me of Podkolzin's situation where they knew any player at #10 would take a while to develop and they picked him regardless of his contractual situation with SKA. Korchinski is such a wild card to me. Oozes potential with the skating ability but seems also is trending to be the 3rd defenseman taken after Nemec and Jiricek (according to The Athletic - team sources). 

If I had to pick and rank them based off of preference and realism, it would be:

1) Mintyukov - realistically could be there for the Canucks and I think can develop into a top 4 all around defenseman (aka Rasmus Andersson lite but more dynamic)

2) Yurov - has a nice blend of size and skill, I can see the Canucks taking the faller out of the "top group"

3) Korchinski / Nazar / Lekkerimaki - these 3 are top 12 picks in my mind. Love the fit for the Canucks for the players but don't think they will make it because they are trending up

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, D.B Cooper said:

Considering we are looking for possible future partners for Hughes and Rathbone, I think both are too small. Lol. 

They are both lefties so they wouldnt be paired up with Hughes or Rathbone anyways, it would be more of a BPA situation. Personally I would lean towards Mintyukov or Korchinski if available as Canucks do need some size on the back end. 

• Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

They are both lefties so they wouldnt be paired up with Hughes or Rathbone anyways, it would be more of a BPA situation. Personally I would lean towards Mintyukov or Korchinski if available as Canucks do need some size on the back end. 

Whatever happened to playing on your off side?     Lol.  

6 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Is Pickering really 6'5 and only 180lbs  Is this a concern? Can he gain 30-40lbs? If he does gain it does he have the skeletal structure to handle the mass? How much will he slow down?

Maybe we need to be drafting guys who have the "hockey" build.  Thick bones and a big rear end.  Wrist measurements should determine what the boy should grow into.  

• Vintage 1

Still trying to gauge who might be there at 15. 

It seems like we keep being tied to Marco Kasper (as per mock drafts).

I might be in the minority but so far from what I have watched or read, I would not mind Rutger McGroarty at 15.

We have too many perimeter forwards and McGroarty would add another dynamic to either top 2 lines.

"Much like his teammate Cutter Gauthier, Rutger McGroarty is an offensive-minded power forward, who excels at just about everything in the attacking third of the ice. Not only is he capable of using his offensive prowess to generate high-danger chances in the offensive zone, but he makes trying to defend him an absolute nightmare for opponents." - smahtscouting.com

At the end of the day, Canucks need to be harder to play against without giving up much offense and McGroarty fits the bill, just seems like footspeed (similar to the knock on Horvat before being drafted) is a bit of an issue.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Is Pickering really 6'5 and only 180lbs  Is this a concern? Can he gain 30-40lbs? If he does gain it does he have the skeletal structure to handle the mass? How much will he slow down?

Wanted to post the image more than anything lol. But if he can get in the 200+ lbs range, he should be ok I would think. 20lbs is not uncommon to put on as a young guy as you finish maturing. Not every body type is filled out and thick. The tall guys that are are 225+ lbs, but guys like Carlo, Laine, Lowry etc. live in the 205-215 area and don't seem outsized. I would say the biggest factor in size is how do they use it? It's an advantage, but only if they know how to capitalize on it.

PZ1nSWtS-XF6C6j8cEnfZJLLA4q4oALLBR5Q7QebTQE.jpg

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Sp3nny said:

Wanted to post the image more than anything lol. But if he can get in the 200+ lbs range, he should be ok I would think. 20lbs is not uncommon to put on as a young guy as you finish maturing. Not every body type is filled out and thick. The tall guys that are are 225+ lbs, but guys like Carlo, Laine, Lowry etc. live in the 205-215 area and don't seem outsized. I would say the biggest factor in size is how do they use it? It's an advantage, but only if they know how to capitalize on it.

PZ1nSWtS-XF6C6j8cEnfZJLLA4q4oALLBR5Q7QebTQE.jpg

None of the players you mention were 6'5 178 lbs when drafted. 

Laine is currently listed 216 sooo 38lb spread he was 206 in his draft year.

Carlo is 220 so 40+ lbs he was 198 in his draft year

Lowry was 6'2 in his draft year though agreeably slender at 168lbs but he's 210 now maybe your best comparable

But my point stands Pickering is gonna have to put on 30-40 lbs can he? Will he? How will that affect him? Is it cause for concern? I like Pickering.