The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2022 NHL Entry Draft

2 hours ago, Stech said:

Taking a 2nd stab at my rankings as we move closer to the draft... let me know what you think @HighOnHockey. Rather than a mock draft, this list reflects more of who I think will be the best player down the road, similar the Craig Button's list.

1. Slafkovsky - I see too much Rantanen (and some Malkin) in his game to pass up. He's the complete package and has shown he can compete and even dominate against men on the big stage (Olympics).

2. Wright - like many have said, he'll be a solid player but there are concerns as to his offensive ceiling. I see him as an okay 1C or great 2C with leadership and defensive qualities, like how Tavares is now.

3. Nemec - Complete player, high hockey IQ, brings leadership, RD. I would be over to moon if the Canucks somehow ended up with a pick to land him.

4. Cooley - reminds me a bit of Marner, I don't think he'll top out as good as Marner but the skill, speed and IQ is there in spades.

5. Lekkerimaki - one of the best releases in the draft. Dominated his peers and played well in the SHL, plays a translatable game. Potential to put up big goal totals.

6. Kaspar - this guy is my sleeper pick this year. Looks close to NHL ready and could surprise the team that picks him in next year's training camp.

7. Savoie - I like his tenacity and board work for a smaller guy. See him more as a winger in the pros but he'll play. One of the best skaters in the draft.

8. Mintyukov - every time I watch this guy he climbs my list. Superb IQ and offensive ability. Tends to play too aggressively in the o-zone but that's teachable.

9. Gauthier - plays a playoff-style, physical game and has the tools to be a top 6 player. His potential I'd say is maybe Evander Kane without the personality issues.

10. Jiricek - simply hasn't played enough due to injury. Still looking like a safe pick in the top 10, doubtful he'll slide to 15.

11. Yurov

12. Korchinski

13. Miroshnichenko

14. Ohgren

15. Lambert

16. McGroarty

17. Nazar

18. Luneau

19. Bichsel

20. Trikozov

21. Mesar

22. Kemell

23. Pickering

24. Snuggerud

25. Mateychuk

26. Beck

27. Kulich

28. Howard

29. Casey

30. Ostlund

31. Lamoureux

32. Salomonsson

Notable omissions: Geekie, Del Bel Belluz, Chesley, Hughes.

I like it. Slafkovsky first is bold, but something you're starting to see more of. Perhaps more bold is Kasper at 6. Love the player but you must see some real offensive upside to have him that high? And really not high on Kemell? Interesting. Mintyukov and Bichsel are players I haven't seen much of, but seems like those who have are really high on them.

35 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

I like it. Slafkovsky first is bold, but something you're starting to see more of. Perhaps more bold is Kasper at 6. Love the player but you must see some real offensive upside to have him that high? And really not high on Kemell? Interesting. Mintyukov and Bichsel are players I haven't seen much of, but seems like those who have are really high on them.

Yeah, Slaf just checks every box for me, I think he'll be good for a very long time. I get Nolan Patrick vibes a little from Wright and while I don't think he'll bust or anything, I just don't see that exciting offensive upside with him. Kaspar plays a style I really like - defensively responsible, drives the net, can make a hit, and does it all in a mens league while more than holding his own. I was a huge fan of Svechkov last draft for this exact reason.

Kemell on the other hand is way too inconsistent for me, and I have questions about his skating. Definitely recommend watching more on Mintyukov and Bichsel especially the latter. I could see him being drafted way higher than his pre draft ranking a la Seider.

Edited by Stech

5 hours ago, S N Y P E R S 7 said:

If the Canucks trade Miller in a package to New Jersey for that #2 overall, who are you picking at that spot?

Nemec every day...................top 5 OA and is a RHD with hell of a 2 way game.....good size

6 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

I wonder if JR/PA avoid taking a Euro league player at #15, because they might want more control of his development. I think players like Yurov, Kemell, Lekkerimaki, Lambert, Kasper, Kulich, Bichsel - may play in Europe for the next 2-3 years. JR/PA may want to get the top prospects into Abbotsford asap. 

1. Mintyukov

2. Korchinski

3. Gauthier

While I understand what you are suggesting, I believe you have the opposite understanding. Prospects drafted out of Europe can jump straight to the AHL. NA prospects can't play in AHL until age 20 or four years of junior. Therefore, drafting out of Europe has the advantage of being able to play in Abbotsford sooner rather than later.

Also, I would take Slafkovsky at 2.

Edited by Sp3nny
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Stech said:

Yeah, Slaf just checks every box for me, I think he'll be good for a very long time. I get Nolan Patrick vibes a little from Wright and while I don't think he'll bust or anything, I just don't see that exciting offensive upside with him. Kaspar plays a style I really like - defensively responsible, drives the net, can make a hit, and does it all in a mens league while more than holding his own. I was a huge fan of Svechkov last draft for this exact reason.

Kemell on the other hand is way too inconsistent for me, and I have questions about his skating. Definitely recommend watching more on Mintyukov and Bichsel especially the latter. I could see him being drafted way higher than his pre draft ranking a la Seider.

We agree on a fair amount. Love Kasper, such a coach's dream. Not the biggest hitter, but he lays the body every chance he get, if it's at all relevant to the play. I was just about the biggest Svechkov fan around last year and had him 7th on my final list, but I saw a lot more offence to his game than most gave him credit for. I watched a $&!#-ton of Svechkov though, and I still haven't seen nearly as much of Kasper as I would like, but I'm just not sure I see the offensive upside there to put him inside my top ten. The one thing he has over a guy like Svechkov is Kasper is a rabid animal around the opponent's net, which bodes well for him to score goals at the NHL level.

19 hours ago, JimothyTimothy said:

And people compared Jake to Neely. Tryamkin to Chara, etc.....I appreciate the examples, but each player is their own player. Again, I haven't watched him but to say he's the next Chara (arguably better given his skating), well he would be ranked first over all then.

Nobody is saying he's the next Chara.  But then you have to remember where Chara was drafted and how nobody knew who he was either.

He has all the same "issues" as Chara did but is a better skater.

13 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Nobody is saying he's the next Chara.  But then you have to remember where Chara was drafted and how nobody knew who he was either.

He has all the same "issues" as Chara did but is a better skater.

Chara was/is an anomaly. 

How about we put the bar at the next Parayko?

14 minutes ago, JM_ said:

Chara was/is an anomaly. 

How about we put the bar at the next Parayko?

Sure you can do that if you'd like.  You can compare him to whomever you'd like.

I saw Chara play a lot in his season with the cougars.  His every issue on his draft report is almost identical to what is being said about Lamoureux.  Having seen some footage of Maveric now I can see what scouts are saying and why they're saying it.  He's a project kid, but so was Chara.  Both have the same strengths, except Lamoureux has the benefit of being a good/great skater for his size where as Chara was like a giraffe on skates in PG

Lamoureux:  Where his game falters is the inconsistencies in his strengths. For example, his ability to cover large amounts of the ice with his reach would be more impactful if he focused on improving his gap control. Lamoureux often tends to back up too far, leaving room for the opposition to start up their rush play and pass the puck off to an open area. The inconsistencies also factor into his physical game, as he sometimes backs away from battles or takes a more passive approach when digging for pucks.  His breakout could use some work too, as his long-range passes are often inaccurate and are prone to being picked off and turned over. His flaws don’t depict any major weakness in his overall game but instead multiple areas for improvement if he wants to take the next step forward. While his skating is good, his pivoting, edgework, and balance can all use upgrades, and it would make a difference in the way scouts view him. Consider him a long-term project that will take multiple years to grow and develop, but under the right guidance, he can make an impact in the NHL someday.

Quotables

“Lamoureux is a pretty smart, enthusiastic playmaker who can distribute the puck with adept reads and, from time-to-time, find neat setups to the slot. Although he’s not the most deceptive passer, his active eyes allow him to scan for and locate open teammates skillfully, and generate scoring chances at a respectable rate. He also enjoys sending low shot-passes to the crease to create chaos in front.”- Andy Lehoux, FC Hockey

“Lamoureux is a nasty, tough to play against type of defenseman that plays solid defensively and can also jumps on the offense. Considering his imposing 6-foot-7 frame, his skating is pretty surprising. He has great top speed and decent mobility. His agility is not the best, but it is well enough to give him an edge on many plays.”- Zacharie Labrie, FC Hockey

“Will go in the first round based on size alone (6-foot-7). There’s plenty of development to take place as he continues to grow into his body and realize that he can dominate a game without producing points.”- Sam Cosentino, Sportsnet

Strengths

• Large frame (6-foot-7)
  • Good top speed
  • Active stick and reach
  • Puck-moving mobility

Under Construction- Improvements to Make

• Gap control
  • Balance
  • Edge-work/pivoting

Chara: After being passed over in the 1995 draft, Chára was drafted in the third round, 56th overall, by the New York Islanders at the 1996 NHL Entry Draft.[3] He would spend his first season in North America with the Western Hockey League (WHL)'s Prince George Cougars, who subsequently selected Chára in that year's CHL Import Draft. Chára spent four seasons with the Islanders organization, becoming a reliable, stay-at-home defender in a primarily defensive role. He earned a reputation as a tough player to play against – intimidating, physically strong and a punishing hitter who could, on occasion, fight. His physical strength also gave him a very hard slap shot, which seemed to improve each and every season, although Chára was never deployed in an offensive role as an Islander.

Edited by Warhippy
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Sure you can do that if you'd like.  You can compare him to whomever you'd like.

I saw Chara play a lot in his season with the cougars.  His every issue on his draft report is almost identical to what is being said about Lamoureux.  Having seen some footage of Maveric now I can see what scouts are saying and why they're saying it.  He's a project kid, but so was Chara.  Both have the same strengths, except Lamoureux has the benefit of being a good/great skater for his size where as Chara was like a giraffe on skates in PG

Lamoureux:  Where his game falters is the inconsistencies in his strengths. For example, his ability to cover large amounts of the ice with his reach would be more impactful if he focused on improving his gap control. Lamoureux often tends to back up too far, leaving room for the opposition to start up their rush play and pass the puck off to an open area. The inconsistencies also factor into his physical game, as he sometimes backs away from battles or takes a more passive approach when digging for pucks.  His breakout could use some work too, as his long-range passes are often inaccurate and are prone to being picked off and turned over. His flaws don’t depict any major weakness in his overall game but instead multiple areas for improvement if he wants to take the next step forward. While his skating is good, his pivoting, edgework, and balance can all use upgrades, and it would make a difference in the way scouts view him. Consider him a long-term project that will take multiple years to grow and develop, but under the right guidance, he can make an impact in the NHL someday.

Quotables

“Lamoureux is a pretty smart, enthusiastic playmaker who can distribute the puck with adept reads and, from time-to-time, find neat setups to the slot. Although he’s not the most deceptive passer, his active eyes allow him to scan for and locate open teammates skillfully, and generate scoring chances at a respectable rate. He also enjoys sending low shot-passes to the crease to create chaos in front.”- Andy Lehoux, FC Hockey

“Lamoureux is a nasty, tough to play against type of defenseman that plays solid defensively and can also jumps on the offense. Considering his imposing 6-foot-7 frame, his skating is pretty surprising. He has great top speed and decent mobility. His agility is not the best, but it is well enough to give him an edge on many plays.”- Zacharie Labrie, FC Hockey

“Will go in the first round based on size alone (6-foot-7). There’s plenty of development to take place as he continues to grow into his body and realize that he can dominate a game without producing points.”- Sam Cosentino, Sportsnet

Strengths

• Large frame (6-foot-7)
  • Good top speed
  • Active stick and reach
  • Puck-moving mobility

• Gap control
  • Balance
  • Edge-work/pivoting

Chara: After being passed over in the 1995 draft, Chára was drafted in the third round, 56th overall, by the New York Islanders at the 1996 NHL Entry Draft.[3] He would spend his first season in North America with the Western Hockey League (WHL)'s Prince George Cougars, who subsequently selected Chára in that year's CHL Import Draft. Chára spent four seasons with the Islanders organization, becoming a reliable, stay-at-home defender in a primarily defensive role. He earned a reputation as a tough player to play against – intimidating, physically strong and a punishing hitter who could, on occasion, fight. His physical strength also gave him a very hard slap shot, which seemed to improve each and every season, although Chára was never deployed in an offensive role as an Islander.

hey I'm totally fine with "reaching" to get a big d man like this. Worked out well for Stevie Y and Seider. 

I've been looking at all of the draft rankings, and the bottom 1/2 of the 1st is all over the place, there really isn't a consensus pick at 15.

Edited by JM_
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Strengths

• Large frame (6-foot-7)
  • Good top speed
  • Active stick and reach
  • Puck-moving mobility

• Gap control
  • Balance
  • Edge-work/pivoting

Sounds like Myers

Button has Gauthier at #7 and Snuggerud at #8. The other scouting lists have Snuggerud going in the late teens to late 20s.  What is Button seeing the others aren't?

I've watched a bit of video on Snuggerud and he definitely has a great shot, like a laser.  Also has size (already 6'2") and skates well. Seems good in all 3 zones? 

1 hour ago, JimothyTimothy said:

Seider doesn't have edge deficiencies. Yes Chara did but he also played most of his career in a very different league. Personally, I would rather see a dman who can pivot, has great edges than good straight away speed. In today's game that's much more important given the nature of how skaters work down low etc. 

I'm not saying he's not a potential pick but I don't like looking at projects until the 3rd round or beyond. Top 2 rounds have to be for players you truly think are NHL capable in a couple of years. 3 and beyond you start looking at maybes imho.

I'd trust this particular scouting group to make a reach more than the previous regime, at least we'd have a more complete assessment. 

@Warhippy I really want to like Lamoureux I'd take him with a later 1st or a early 2nd because of the boxes he ticks more so than his actual play. But in the end when I watch him I feel like I'm just trying to find reasons that support my narrative. I really want to draft a BIG RD but in reality I'm grasping with him. Gives me flashbacks of watching Logan Stanley at that age.  

He's not really aggressive not just physically but in how he defends. I don't see him applying nearly enough pressure on the opposition. He absolutely has the ability and there are flashes but I wouldn't really even call it inconsistency it's more just flashes. Who know's how this kid matures though. I don't like how easily he surrenders ice at times for a guy who's calling card will be defensive defenseman. 

Edited by hammertime
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, JM_ said:

I'd trust this particular scouting group to make a reach more than the previous regime, at least we'd have a more complete assessment. 

And we no longer have an arrogant GM who believes his two hours viewing of a prospect makes his opinion worth more than the 1000’s of hours (over several years) the scouts put in.  

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, hammertime said:

@Warhippy I really want to like Lamoureux I'd take him with a later 1st or a early 2nd because of the boxes he ticks more so than his actual play. But in the end when I watch him I feel like I'm just trying to find reasons that support my narrative. I really want to draft a BIG RD but in reality I'm grasping with him. Gives me flashbacks of watching Logan Stanley at that age.  

He's not really aggressive not just physically but in how he defends. I don't see him applying nearly enough pressure on the opposition. He absolutely has the ability and there are flashes but I wouldn't really even call it inconsistency it's more just flashes. Who know's how this kid matures though. I don't like how easily he surrenders ice at times for a guy who's calling card will be defensive defenseman. 

To be clear I'm absolutely not advocating taking him with our first, I'd take Bichsel hands down.

But if we had a very late 1st or early 2nd added he'd be on my list

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

To be clear I'm absolutely not advocating taking him with our first, I'd take Bichsel hands down.

But if we had a very late 1st or early 2nd added he'd be on my list

Hundo P! 6'7 rhd who can skate don't grow on trees.