The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2022 NHL Entry Draft

6 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Surprised he said this. That's not what I've seen but I know he spends more time doing this than me. Have to watch more I suppose.

If anyone is interested; 

I think Miroshnichenko stuggled a bit at the start of the season when transitioning to the VHL before his diagnosis. I believe the quote was from around then, but if he has IQ questions, Russian, and cancer risk might be better to pick up a C or Dman. Even Yurov could drop to us and has less risk. 

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

He has a bit more risk than your average player, its not like he missed time with a wrist injury, he had cancer. 

Also:

Jake Virtanen without the off ice issues would've been fine as a #15 pick though. He was coming around as a solid middle-6 winger before the off ice stuff finished his NHL career.

The problem was we drafted him at #6 which you'd want more than a middle 6 guy. On ice Jake was a regular NHLer and I'm fine with getting that at #15.

23 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Jake Virtanen without the off ice issues would've been fine as a #15 pick though. He was coming around as a solid middle-6 winger before the off ice stuff finished his NHL career.

The problem was we drafted him at #6 which you'd want more than a middle 6 guy. On ice Jake was a regular NHLer and I'm fine with getting that at #15.

This is a deep draft though, I think a lot of us are hoping for more than a 3rd line winger. Especially with a top 4 Dman still likely on the board.

51 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

I think Miroshnichenko stuggled a bit at the start of the season when transitioning to the VHL before his diagnosis. I believe the quote was from around then, but if he has IQ questions, Russian, and cancer risk might be better to pick up a C or Dman. Even Yurov could drop to us and has less risk. 

No other scouring report I've read has mentioned this. They all alluded too good playmaking/vision, being able to find holes, exc. I can post links later. 

The video I posted was a VHL game & I didn't see a Virtanen like lack of IQ at all. His stats in the VHL are better than Podz D+1 VHL stats & he's turned out fine.

Health is a risk for sure, but I don't agree on that assesment of his game, but then again I'll watch some more video. 

• Like 1

Alright. As more mock drafts come in and we get closer, this is how I see the draft playing out so far:

1. MTL - Wright

2. NJ - Slafkovsky

3. ARI - Cooley

4. SEA - Nemec

5. PHI - Jiricek

6. CLB - Kemell

7. OTT - Gauthier

8. DET - Kasper

9. BUF - Savoie

10. ANA - Korchinski

11. SJ - Mintyukov

12. CLB - Mateychuk

13. NYI - Geekie

14. WPG - Bischel

15. VAN - Lekkerimaki

16. BUF - Ohgren

17. NSH - Nazar

18. DAL - Lambert

19. LA - McGroaty

20. WSH - Yurov

Couple of surprises, but I think there will be a run of defensemen that will push some skill forwards in the range for the Canucks. Not sure about Mateychuk, but I think with 2 picks that Columbus will want to go for a defenseman with one of them with their forward depth being very deep. Bischel to WPG is really a gut feel.. but someone is going to love the package and potential with his size and skating. 

What do you all think?

Edited by DudePerfect
  • Cheers 3

11 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

This is a deep draft though, I think a lot of us are hoping for more than a 3rd line winger. Especially with a top 4 Dman still likely on the board.

Is it a deep draft? We always hear how deep the draft is every year when the promise is still high. Doesn't feel like a draft with that much high promise, just a bunch of decent quality players that should become NHLers. Miro was ranked top 5, even top 3, prior to his diagnosis and the war. At 15, he's probably one of the better chances at a top line forward. The Virtanen comparison is more of what his floor would be as someone who was clearly distracted off ice and wasn't focused on getting better, but the raw talent made him be a regular 3rd liner. I don't know how Miro is in that sense, but if he is driven, then his ceiling would be much higher.

Just now, DudePerfect said:

Alright. As more mock drafts come in and we get closer, this is how I see the draft playing out so far:

1. MTL - Wright

2. NJ - Slafkovsky

3. ARI - Cooley

4. SEA - Nemec

5. PHI - Jiricek

6. CLB - Kemell

7. OTT - Gauthier

8. DET - Kasper

9. BUF - Savoie

10. ANA - Korchinski

11. SJ - Mintyukov

12. CLB - Mateychuk

13. NYI - Geekie

14. WPG - Bischel

15. VAN - Lekkerimaki

16. BUF - Ohgren

17. NSH - Nazar

18. DAL - Lambert

19. LA - Bischel

20. WSH - Yurov

Couple of surprises, but I think there will be a run of defensemen that will push some skill forwards in the range for the Canucks. Not sure about Mateychuk, but I think with 2 picks that Columbus will want to go for a defenseman with one of them with their forward depth being very deep. Bischel to WPG is really a gut feel.. but someone is going to love the package and potential with his size and skating. 

What do you all think?

I know he's a big guy, but is he big enough to be shared by two teams?

• Haha 2

Morreale from NHL.com has the dmen going:

10. Anaheim Ducks

Morreale -- Denton Mateychuk, D, Moose Jaw (WHL): Mateychuk (5-11, 188) was third on Moose Jaw with 64 points (13 goals, 51 assists) in 65 games and had 10 points (one goal, nine assists) in 10 WHL playoff games. He's considered a strong skater who can lead or join the rush for scoring opportunities, and create chances with his ability to anticipate plays.

11. San Jose Sharks

Morreale -- Mintyukov: Mintyukov can play physical and is strong on his skates, capable of creating a seamless transition and pushing the pace into the opposing end. He was the only OHL defenseman to lead his team in scoring during the regular season.

15. Vancouver Canucks

Morreale -- Korchinski: Korchinski is a high-end offensive-minded defenseman who can generate scoring chances in all situations. He was second among WHL defensemen with 61 assists and was the first WHL defenseman since Darryl Sydor in 1989-90 (Kamloops, 66 assists) to have 60 or more assists in his first year of NHL draft eligibility.

16. Buffalo Sabres (from Vegas Golden Knights)

Morreale -- Lian Bichsel, D, Leksand (SWE): The Switzerland-born defenseman moves well for his size (6-5, 216), makes a good first pass out of his zone, and is aggressive in battles around the net. He had three points (one goal, two assists) in 29 games in his first season in the Swedish Hockey League, was fifth on Leksand with 28 hits and averaged 11:48 of ice time.

I would be happy with any of these four or a top 10 ranked forward that falls in our lap. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Surprised he said this. That's not what I've seen but I know he spends more time doing this than me. Have to watch more I suppose.

If anyone is interested; 

I don’t see the JV comparison at all either 

• Vintage 1

50 minutes ago, DudePerfect said:

1. MTL - Wright

2. NJ - Slafkovsky

3. ARI - Cooley

4. SEA - Nemec

5. PHI - Jiricek

6. CLB - Kemell

7. OTT - Gauthier

8. DET - Kasper

9. BUF - Savoie

10. ANA - Korchinski

11. SJ - Mintyukov

12. CLB - Mateychuk

13. NYI - Geekie

14. WPG - Bischel

15. VAN - Lekkerimaki

16. BUF - Ohgren

17. NSH - Nazar

18. DAL - Lambert

19. LA - Bischel

20. WSH - Yurov

What do you all think?

I think you nailed picks 1-8. I also think Mintyukov is a good fit in SJ. I'm expecting that we'll take a Swede or Russian at our pick (Lekkerimaki, Ohgren, Yurov, etc.). Nice mock.

2 hours ago, HighOnHockey said:

Have you seen the highlights on Ostlund? I think it's Recrutes has a really fun one called the elusiveness of Noah Ostlund or something like that. Kid is shifty.

But the big question I think we're getting at here is playmaking with the puck vs. playmaking without the puck. Ostlund is generally always the one with the puck leading play into the offensive zone. Very few players in this draft better at making plays through the neutral zone. Lambert is the only one I can think of that I would take over Ostlund in that regard. But then once in the offensive zone, how much can be credited to Ostlund making high level plays with the puck and how much should be credited to Lekkerimaki and Ohgren making high level plays off the puck that allow Ostlund to make good plays to them. I tend to think that making good plays off the puck is more of a pro-level skill, whereas so many top junior players can make elite plays with the puck. Ostlund is almost certainly not going to be able to drive play and always carry the puck at the NHL level to the extent he does in junior.

The other question I'm always trying to ask myself with highly skilled, high event players like this in junior is what percentage of those high events is he clicking on. Guys that make a lot of high-end plays while almost never make a bad play (Wright, Cooley) are obvious top picks. But guys like Ostlund, Kemell, Lambert, Savoie, who make a lot of high-end plays, but also make a fair amount of mistakes while attempting those high-end plays, gives some cause for reservation. Because you're not going to get so many opportunities to dictate play in the NHL if you're making a lot of mistakes trying to do so.

Ya I’ve watched as many as I can find.

I really like his skating and how he carries the and distributes the puck. 

Ofc play without puck you can’t find too much tape without watching full games so I’m resorting to scouting reports myself. But he’s been said to be really good positionally without the puck.

Smaht is really high on him has him ranked 10. Which is an outlier public ranking right now.

What do you think about his take: https://smahtscouting.com/2022/05/02/scouting-report-noah-ostlund/amp/

And those mistakes you mention I feel like as he grows in Sweden he will become more and more responsible with the puck and make less and less mistakes. More mistakes would be expected with any tier of forward below the top 2 forwards in the draft.

I think the kid would be 3-4 year development years away from AHL/NHL but he looks to have a really high ceiling to me. 

44 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Morreale from NHL.com has the dmen going:

10. Anaheim Ducks

Morreale -- Denton Mateychuk, D, Moose Jaw (WHL): Mateychuk (5-11, 188) was third on Moose Jaw with 64 points (13 goals, 51 assists) in 65 games and had 10 points (one goal, nine assists) in 10 WHL playoff games. He's considered a strong skater who can lead or join the rush for scoring opportunities, and create chances with his ability to anticipate plays.

11. San Jose Sharks

Morreale -- Mintyukov: Mintyukov can play physical and is strong on his skates, capable of creating a seamless transition and pushing the pace into the opposing end. He was the only OHL defenseman to lead his team in scoring during the regular season.

15. Vancouver Canucks

Morreale -- Korchinski: Korchinski is a high-end offensive-minded defenseman who can generate scoring chances in all situations. He was second among WHL defensemen with 61 assists and was the first WHL defenseman since Darryl Sydor in 1989-90 (Kamloops, 66 assists) to have 60 or more assists in his first year of NHL draft eligibility.

16. Buffalo Sabres (from Vegas Golden Knights)

Morreale -- Lian Bichsel, D, Leksand (SWE): The Switzerland-born defenseman moves well for his size (6-5, 216), makes a good first pass out of his zone, and is aggressive in battles around the net. He had three points (one goal, two assists) in 29 games in his first season in the Swedish Hockey League, was fifth on Leksand with 28 hits and averaged 11:48 of ice time.

I would be happy with any of these four or a top 10 ranked forward that falls in our lap. 

I mean I’m not crazy high on Kevin like others but if he’s there at 15 I assume we run to the podium to select him. I really doubt he’s there at 15. NHL.com mocks Aren’t usually close to accurate are they? We should cross check morreales last years mock see how close he was 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DudePerfect said:

1. MTL - Wright

2. NJ - Slafkovsky

3. ARI - Cooley

4. SEA - Nemec

5. PHI - Jiricek

6. CLB - Kemell

7. OTT - Gauthier

8. DET - Kasper

9. BUF - Savoie

10. ANA - Korchinski

11. SJ - Mintyukov

12. CLB - Mateychuk

13. NYI - Geekie

14. WPG - Bischel

15. VAN - Lekkerimaki

16. BUF - Ohgren

17. NSH - Nazar

18. DAL - Lambert

19. LA - McGroaty

20. WSH - Yurov

What do you all think?

I honestly can’t imagine us drafting a winger at 15 unless it’s someone management feels incredibly high on. 

I think we will see GMs still value size.

cutter
korchinski

pickering 

geekie

Bischel 

I’m thinking they will probably all go near the highest end of their rankings.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, R3aL said:

I mean I’m not crazy high on Kevin like others but if he’s there at 15 I assume we run to the podium to select him. I really doubt he’s there at 15. NHL.com mocks Aren’t usually close to accurate are they? We should cross check morreales last years mock see how close he was 

Yeah in a draft like this I dont think many will be right, I just liked his rankings and he had nice write ups. Really hoping we end up taking a defenseman this draft though, I think they will age well when looking back. 

1 minute ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Yeah in a draft like this I dont think many will be right, I just liked his rankings and he had nice write ups. Really hoping we end up taking a defenseman this draft though, I think they will age well when looking back. 

I’m really hoping we take a dman too mate

2 hours ago, theo5789 said:

Is it a deep draft? We always hear how deep the draft is every year when the promise is still high. Doesn't feel like a draft with that much high promise, just a bunch of decent quality players that should become NHLers. Miro was ranked top 5, even top 3, prior to his diagnosis and the war. At 15, he's probably one of the better chances at a top line forward. The Virtanen comparison is more of what his floor would be as someone who was clearly distracted off ice and wasn't focused on getting better, but the raw talent made him be a regular 3rd liner. I don't know how Miro is in that sense, but if he is driven, then his ceiling would be much higher.

Deeper in that there seems to be alot of players who may make the NHL, but it does lack high end talent....

On Miro, yes I recall him being seen as high as 3. Its the first time I've seen anyone question his hockey IQ and if he was ranked 3 early I can't see that being an issue. No player would be considered that high if it was an issue.

Edited by NucknAsia

Another ranking! Rankings Rankings! lol....not sure how good this group is but another one to disucss.

I'm looking for a post on Hockey Forums I saw where a guy took a dozen plus rankings and basically assigned points to each draft position, then aggregated to get a "consensus" view...interesting analysis and I will post it if I find it. If anyone else has seen it please post as its probably the best list to consider as it has the views of many many many lists all in one.

2022 NHL Draft Rankings - HockeyProspect.com

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NucknAsia said:

Another ranking! Rankings Rankings! lol....not sure how good this group is but another one to disucss.

I'm looking for a post on Hockey Forums I saw where a guy took a dozen plus rankings and basically assigned points to each draft position, then aggregated to get a "consensus" view...interesting analysis and I will post it if I find it. If anyone else has seen it please post as its probably the best list to consider as it has the views of many many many lists all in one.

If we get Cutter Gauthier at 15 we win.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, NucknAsia said:

I like that list.  Gauthier at #15!

• Like 1