The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Danila Klimovich | C

3 hours ago, iceman64 said:

lmao! it wasn't written by Vancouver media at all.. YOU don't give up do you, go have a look at hockeydb and a ton of others are too professional to be written in Vancouver by the bush league media and I'd never quote ANYTHING written by them! but nice try though. So again, how long have you known him? Have you followed him a long time before he showed up in Van? Or do you refuse to answer that question still? 

Fork, I'm lost here man.

What the Marchand is going on here?

Is this guy for real?

Regardless, I love me some Klim!

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

These guys sure are mature for being so young.  High character people.  

Yeah I'm in my late 30s and learning how to cook 

Awkward Season 4 GIF by The Office

17 minutes ago, RomanP said:

Yes, Artur speaks Russian. The boys are renting together and also in close contact with Podz.

Awesome!  It's been way too long since we've had some good Russian speakers on the team.  

I often wondered what happened between Mogilny and Bure all the way up to now.  I know that we had Chubarov who ended up going back to KHL, but it felt like we just gave up on that whole with our drafts.  

Anyways thanks for the updates Roman!  

5 hours ago, Goal:thecup said:

womandatory

Persondatory

ive always thought it would be good to have kids do 24 months of post-secondary army or similar.

A bit fascist I suppose, but most of those years get wasted on Call of Duty etc anyway ... we’d be a better society if we all got real comfortable with early mornings and making beds and learning to ‘earn it’ to quote John Dutton (Yellowstone)

• Cheers 2
  • RoughGame 1

15 hours ago, Putgolzin said:

Persondatory

ive always thought it would be good to have kids do 24 months of post-secondary army or similar.

A bit fascist I suppose, but most of those years get wasted on Call of Duty etc anyway ... we’d be a better society if we all got real comfortable with early mornings and making beds and learning to ‘earn it’ to quote John Dutton (Yellowstone)

Wow, people may not live their lives as you’d like, so take away their freedom.Freedom exists not for the purpose of those who will not use it productively, but for those few who will; and because we cannot tell who those people will be till the game is played.

40 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Wow, people may not live their lives as you’d like, so take away their freedom.Freedom exists not for the purpose of those who will not use it productively, but for those few who will; and because we cannot tell who those people will be till the game is played.

You do know why (sacrifices made) we have the freedoms we do, right?  It’s a great idea to have all young persons get in a year or two of military service.  Exemptions for farmers.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Alflives said:

You do know why (sacrifices made) we have the freedoms we do, right?  It’s a great idea to have all young persons get in a year or two of military service.  Exemptions for farmers.  

Mandatory military service.

Sounds like an absolutely terrible idea. 

7 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Mandatory military service.

Sounds like an absolutely terrible idea. 

It’s good for young people to serve.  Don’t have to be fighters.  Can do lots of different things to serve their community and country.  Plus, learn lots of skills.  Great idea.  Sweden has it.  Denmark too.  Lots of peaceful countries do.  Exempt farmers.  The city young adults all serve at least one year.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

It’s good for young people to serve.  Don’t have to be fighters.  Can do lots of different things to serve their community and country.  Plus, learn lots of skills.  Great idea.  Sweden has it.  Denmark too.  Lots of peaceful countries do.  Exempt farmers.  The city young adults all serve at least one year.  

If you are going that route there cant be any exemptions. Wealthy and connected people will exploit it, suddenly all of their kids will be farmers.

• Vintage 1

18 hours ago, Putgolzin said:

Persondatory

Who are you to say what people should do with their time? Playing video games is a hobby, maybe you have hobbies that other people think are a waste of time.

2 minutes ago, Nucksfollower1983 said:

Who are you to say what people should do with their time? Playing video games is a hobby, maybe you have hobbies that other people think are a waste of time.

This is how thankful people in the Netherlands are for the sacrifices Canadian soldiers made to liberate Holland from Nazi occupation.  Look how the people (families and school kids care for graves) respect the fallen soldiers by caring for those graves.  It would be good for our young people to serve. 

image.thumb.jpeg.e42b79f624a0fef442ee0eb69640c177.jpeg

30 minutes ago, Alflives said:

This is how thankful people in the Netherlands are for the sacrifices Canadian soldiers made to liberate Holland from Nazi occupation.  Look how the people (families and school kids care for graves) respect the fallen soldiers by caring for those graves.  It would be good for our young people to serve. 

image.thumb.jpeg.e42b79f624a0fef442ee0eb69640c177.jpeg

Did you serve Alf?

1 hour ago, Nucksfollower1983 said:

I've played tons of video games and think that it's very easy to get addicted.  Now that I've given my PS4 away, I am much more productive.  If I'm watching something on TV, I can cook or clean at the same time.  Video games require your attention and your inputs.  

Met lots of nice people through gaming though (online, just a few in real life).  

In any case if you keep your gaming to a reasonable amount then good on you.  I have over 5,000 hours in two games that I've played over the last 6 years, could've been halfway to mastering an instrument or doing something better with that time.  

Having said that, back to Danila. 

3 hours ago, Nucksfollower1983 said:

If you are going that route there cant be any exemptions. Wealthy and connected people will exploit it, suddenly all of their kids will be farmers.

I lived in 2 different countries with mandatory military service. First, it was Soviet Union, where I served a year and a half. The experience helped me in my life. However, vast majority of people didn’t want to serve and almost every family was looking for a way to have their son to serve closer to home and in some non-fighting units. It was during the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan, so that contributed to the attempts to get an easier service. Also, very few people were able to completely skip the service, even from the families of the communist bosses. One of the biggest downsides of the Soviet Army (beyond the constant communist propaganda) was hazing in the first 6 months of service. Some situations led to young soldiers either committing suicide or taking their AKs and “solving” their issues that way against the hazers. After that I lived in Israel (also served there, but a short term). The situation in Israel is quite different. Vast majority of kids actually want to go into the Army, especially fighting units. There are two reasons - first being a very high sense of patriotism and knowing that they have to protect their own families and second being life long relationships forged during service. In Israel, the people that you serve with in your unit, stay together for years during annual reserve call ups. There’s a great book called “Start-Up Nation”, which attributes a lot of success with high tech startups in Israel to the relationships built during the military service.

Edited by RomanP
  • Cheers 2

6 hours ago, Alflives said:

You would be best to remember exactly what freedom is. Depending on the country, fighting for your freedom may not be a sacrifice, your freedom is worth the risk to your life. But being enslaved by the state and sent off to fight in a war you may or not agree with, in order to supposedly fight for your freedom while at the same time your freedom is taken away and your life put at risk is not to fight for freedom, but for slavery! In addition, not all states are worth fighting for, most are not - fighting for Hitler, Stalin, or Mao is hardly to fight for your freedom, and fighting in Vietnam Nam hardly served anyone”s interest except the military/industrial complex and the politicians. 

It is a terrible idea to send kids to fight in a war like that, and looking at the world since the Korean War, that is most often the kind of war kids are sent off to die in, serving no interest at all except to benefit the makers of arms and corrupt politicians.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, RomanP said:

I lived in 2 different countries with mandatory military service. First, it was Soviet Union, where I served a year and a half. The experience helped me in my life. However, vast majority of people didn’t want to serve and almost every family was looking for a way to have their son to serve closer to home and in some non-fighting units. It was during the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan, so that contributed to the attempts to get an easier service. Also, very few people were able to completely skip the service, even from the families of the communist bosses. One of the biggest downsides of the Soviet Army (beyond the constant communist propaganda) was hazing in the first 6 months of service. Some situations led to young soldiers either committing suicide or taking their AKs and “solving” their issues that way against the hazers. After that I lived in Israel (also served there, but a short term). The situation in Israel is quite different. Vast majority of kids actually want to go into the Army, especially fighting units. There are two reasons - first being a very high sense of patriotism and knowing that they have to protect their own families and second being life long relationships forged during service. In Israel, the people that you serve with in your unit, stay together for years during annual reserve call ups. There’s a great book called “Start-Up Nation”, which attributes a lot of success with high tech startups in Israel to the relationships built during the military service.

Based on your experience it would seem that things are very different depending on the country you live in. I never said I was against the idea of mandatory military service, just the idea of exemptions for some because those with the means to do so will exploit those exemptions.