The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Danila Klimovich | C

22 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Leaving his homeland at 18yrs and coming to a country where he doesn't speak the language

shows character, as well as determination.  Not many 18yr olds play in the AHL either.

I have no doubt the Abby coaching staff will have Klim working on his overall game this season,

which will make him a more complete player.  I don't see him challenging Podz (power forward),

but he could become a 3RW in a couple of years.  He's only 20yrs, so he's got some time on his

side.

Danila 6'2 205

Pod 6'1 190

Danila also needs to "Let it hang" 

• Cheers 1

47 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Danila 6'2 205

Pod 6'1 190

Danila also needs to "Let it hang" 

Hmm...sounds familiar.:lol:

I guess the difference is that Podz has always shown the potential to become a power forward,

whereas we haven't seen that yet in Klim (although Podz has 2yrs on him).

In his first NHL season, Podz was an exciting player; often being labelled 'Moose' or 'Bull'

by his teammates and coaches.  His second year was filled with team dysfunction and time

spent in Abby.  It seems he has lost his confidence and has fallen to the rookie default of

'always playing it safe', hence the 'let it hang' comment.  Thankfully, in his interviews, Podz

sounds like he got Tocc's message and is working hard to follow through on it. 

I would love to see Podz end up as Miller's righty, but Tocc has suggested that he might

potentially end up on Pete's line. https://www.reddit.com/r/canucks/comments/112s2cd/batchelor_i_asked_rick_tocchet_about_moving/?rdt=61797

28 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Hmm...sounds familiar.:lol:

I guess the difference is that Podz has always shown the potential to become a power forward,

whereas we haven't seen that yet in Klim (although Podz has 2yrs on him).

In his first NHL season, Podz was an exciting player; often being labelled 'Moose' or 'Bull'

by his teammates and coaches.  His second year was filled with team dysfunction and time

spent in Abby.  It seems he has lost his confidence and has fallen to the rookie default of

'always playing it safe', hence the 'let it hang' comment.  Thankfully, in his interviews, Podz

sounds like he got Tocc's message and is working hard to follow through on it. 

I would love to see Podz end up as Miller's righty, but Tocc has suggested that he might

potentially end up on Pete's line. https://www.reddit.com/r/canucks/comments/112s2cd/batchelor_i_asked_rick_tocchet_about_moving/?rdt=61797

Like I said Klim ain't gonna make it on skill alone hopefully he doesn't go the way of Kravtsov. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

49 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Like I said Klim ain't gonna make it on skill alone hopefully he doesn't go the way of Kravtsov. 

Yup. Klim needs to accept to be an NHLer he needs to play the right way without the puck, which is 95% of his ice time. 

17 hours ago, hammertime said:

Hughes doesn't shoot like this on his best day

Now I'm not saying he has an elite one timer don't be silly but it's definitely not a muffin and if Hughes could shoot like Garland he'd be a lot more dangerous. Hughes will never shoot like Weber but he may be able to learn a thing or 2 from Garland on how to generate a bit more pop at his stature.

Not trying to derail the thread (I'm a big believer in Klim) but if there is any person on the team that should be teaching EVERYONE on the team slapshot mechanics, it has to be Petey. 

I get that EP is 4 inches taller than Hughes or Garland but he's also listed as 5lbs lighter than Hughes. 

And EP just put up a slapper of 103.2 MPH at the All-Star Game, the 2nd hardest shot EVER by a forward in the Skills Comp.

53 minutes ago, 204CanucksFan said:

I get that EP is 4 inches taller than Hughes or Garland.

This is it though. Klim could benefit from EP's push pull fulcrum snap or what I affectionately refer to as the "happy Gilmore" where the power is generated by the top hand building energy through the sitck much earlier . Hughes may be better served to work w Garland or Alfy who generate power much differently than EP and instead use a lower drive hand late pull technique. Scroll up to see what I mean.

Edited by hammertime

4 hours ago, 204CanucksFan said:

Not trying to derail the thread (I'm a big believer in Klim) but if there is any person on the team that should be teaching EVERYONE on the team slapshot mechanics, it has to be Petey. 

I get that EP is 4 inches taller than Hughes or Garland but he's also listed as 5lbs lighter than Hughes. 

And EP just put up a slapper of 103.2 MPH at the All-Star Game, the 2nd hardest shot EVER by a forward in the Skills Comp.

Petey is lean strong. Hughes is four inches taller than our garden gnome. 

16 hours ago, Hogs & Podz said:

I think this year we'll see him round his game out.  He has tons of potential.  Kinda what Virtanen was supposed to be but without the blazing speed.  He's not slow but he ain't fast either.  Ultimately, he has all the physical tools to be a good middle six NHL player, just not sure if he has the level of hockey sense needed to stay in the show.... He's really young so, might just be a maturity thing.  This year should tell us what we really have in Klim.

He was real young when he started in the AHL, and lack of arrention to defence limited his icetime. This past year new coaches and some great examples like Bains, Karlsson, Podkolzin, and the like helped or inspired Klimovich to improve his D. Now he’s a player that the coaches trust. He’s still learning the ropes, but he’s come a long way. I’m really looking forward to what we’ll have in Abby this year. Hopefully they really put pressure on the NHL team.

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Hopefully he can get the stink off that number.

Its belonged to a lot of plugs over the years.

How dare you besmirch Jason King's name? Vote for Rory!

But in all seriousness it is surprising how long it's been since a solid contributor has worn 18 for the Canucks. Hopefully Klimovich can channel his inner Igor Larionov and not Virtanen. 

• Haha 2

33 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

How dare you besmirch Jason King's name? Vote for Rory!

But in all seriousness it is surprising how long it's been since a solid contributor has worn 18 for the Canucks. Hopefully Klimovich can channel his inner Igor Larionov and not Virtanen. 

Lol, if you knew the kid, you would know that channeling Virtanen is simply not possible for Danila :-)

• Cheers 2