The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

4 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I’ve seen you take this line a few times and wondering what it’s based on? 

Not at all “calling you out,” just legitimately curious why you’ve been pretty consistently negative/dismissive on this guy’s chances?

I’d concede that Di Giuseppe is a bit of a bubble NHLer/AAAA player, but he’s also logged 200+ NHL games by age 27, so saying he’s “not an NHL player” just doesn’t track for me.

He’s legitimate NHL grade depth IMO. With a decent enough chance of cracking the lineup as a 4th liner or spare.

We have a lot of players this year in the same category, so the competition for final forward spots will be fierce, but I wouldn’t count him out.

Di Giuseppe played 31 NHL games last season and was never demoted. And for his NHL career, he’s put up pretty solid numbers (and good underlying data), for a depth/bottom-six player.

He’s also been one of the better performers through camp.

He’s in Abbotsford.  

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Locke Lamora said:

Now if you were to only base things on Training Camp it would definitely NOT stick. They were hemmed in their own zone far more than they were on the attack. But yeah, I know…its only Training Camp. The preseason will be much more revealing.

Thinking about what I saw with Podz over that last 3 days I actually think Travis Green has to convince the kid to free himself for some offensive thrust. He is so obviously wired for defence and patrolling his zone of ice in the D zone - with his signature legs apart glide with his stick extended out one handed - that he’s often way behind his line mates when they break on up the ice. The Russian coaches really seemed to have done a number on the kid

Klimovich however….the kid just oozes offensive flair from his very pores. His skating was FAR better than I expected. As someone mentioned before he gets visibly down on himself when I he misses the net with a shot or fumbles a pass. At moments like this you are reminded he is freakin’ 18 years old.

As I’ve mentioned, Hoglander is just looking incredible right now. Gadj has made a step…now whether or not its enough for him to start in Van, not sure how Travis would view that. Loved how Lockwood looked. Jett Woo’s performance should silence some of his doubters too. His skating actually looked very good to me.

I know a lot of people would lose their minds, but it's not the worst thing if Podz starts in Abby. Even if he starts there to adjust to the North American style of play I'd imagine he'll be back with the big club before you know it.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I’ve seen you take this line a few times and wondering what it’s based on? 

Not at all “calling you out,” just legitimately curious why you’ve been pretty consistently negative/dismissive on this guy’s chances?

I’d concede that Di Giuseppe is a bit of a bubble NHLer/AAAA player, but he’s also logged 200+ NHL games by age 27, so saying he’s “not an NHL player” just doesn’t track for me.

He’s legitimate NHL grade depth IMO. With a decent enough chance of cracking the lineup as a 4th liner or spare.

We have a lot of players this year in the same category, so the competition for final forward spots will be fierce, but I wouldn’t count him out.

Di Giuseppe played 31 NHL games last season and was never demoted. And for his NHL career, he’s put up pretty solid numbers (and good underlying data), for a depth/bottom-six player.

He’s also been one of the better performers through camp.

200 games in the NHL in 8 years in the league isn't very much.  He's played more games at the AHL level and seems to be a guy who is a regular callup when injuries happen.  He's gonna be 28 in October so what you see is what you get at this point with him.

We are pretty deep this year on the 4th line even without Sutter and Di Giuseppe doesn't play center, so unless he can beat out Motte, Highmore, Gadjovich, MacEwen and even Lockwood I don't see him sticking on the big club.  He's a good depth piece to have in Abbotsford though.  We may have a few guys in Abbotsford who can step into the lineup when necessary.

6 minutes ago, FlyLow_ said:

I know a lot of people would lose their minds, but it's not the worst thing if Podz starts in Abby. Even if he starts there to adjust to the North American style of play I'd imagine he'll be back with the big club before you know it.

Now, based only upon what I saw in Training Camp and if (big IF) it continued to look like this in the preseason, and if it could be done without creating a FUROR in Canuck nation, it would actually be something I would consider doing if I were the Canuck brass. But know the kids determination I would not be surprised if something clicks for him during the preseason and my slight concern right now will seem silly in retrospect. But he has looked a bit lost of there. Which was so bizarre when Klimovich (who I expected to be the one who would look lost) was playing with some creative flair and pizazz.

Edited by Locke Lamora
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Locke Lamora said:

Now, based only upon what I saw in Training Camp and if (big IF) it continued to look like this in the preseason, and if it could be done with creating a FUROR in Canuck nation, it would actually be something I would consider doing if I were the Canuck brass. But know the kids determination I would not be surprised if something clicks for him during the preseason and my slight concern right now will seem silly in retrospect. But he has looked a bit lost of there. Which was so bizarre when Klimovich (who I expected to be the one who would look lost) was playing with some creative flair and pizazz.

Yeah, they're very different players though. Podz is used to bullying people and creating offense from playing good defense. All of that is way harder in the NHL. They both had a good chat with Greener today, hopefully he pushed the right buttons. Klimovich looked great today, but nobody was laying the body on him either.

7 minutes ago, FlyLow_ said:

Yeah, they're very different players though. Podz is used to bullying people and creating offense from playing good defense. All of that is way harder in the NHL. They both had a good chat with Greener today, hopefully he pushed the right buttons. Klimovich looked great today, but nobody was laying the body on him either.

No one is going to critique Podz for a having a defensive mindset out there….but, and I’m sure TG would agree, he needs to play a bit differently than he did in the KHL. Maybe Podz has a secret yearning to be a D-man? :lol:

I have a ton of trust in TG, and his constant communication with Podz (and Klim for that matter) during camp makes me sure that he will make the transition to NHL power forward. Just think it may not be as seamless as many (me included) were expecting.