The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

6 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Petey and Boeser will be linemates.  I wasnt sure whether they needed a power forward as their 3rd linemate to give Petey and Boeser some protection but Petey looked stronger yesterday than last season and won some key puck battles along the boards.

I would be comfrotable putting Garland on top line with them then.  That could be a crazy good line.

Edited by CanucksJay

1 hour ago, Dazzle said:

I'm not surprised that Green is showing his bias by putting in Rathbone.

I don't hate Rathbone but Rathbone left his assignment last game and let McDavid go through on the last goal.

And Green is totally okay with that. Meanwhile Juolevi is obviously being treated differently. No PP time and fewer minutes than Rathbone.

Jesus. You can't get out of Green's doghouse once you're in it, it seems.

I'm fully expecting that Green will have Juolevi traded.

I like Rathbone, but I agree. 

I was kind of middle of the road regarding keeping Green or not, but I'm questioning some of their camp decisions this go round. If we somehow miss the playoffs him and Baumer gotta go, contracts be damned. The youth we've seen the last few years was talented enough to make it with or without him as a coach. Guess we'll have to see what the regular season brings. 

• Cheers 3

9 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

I just hope Gadjovich doesn’t haunt this organization like John Leclair did to Montreal.   John Leclair drafted by tje Canadians. Was given up too early and traded to the Flyers. He massacred the Canadians every game he played against them. 

They did get a team doctor as part of that trade though.

That's one of the worst trades of the 90s that didn't involve Millbury.  Desjardins was excellent for Philly as well.

25 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Any normal human being would understand that it was just a goof. But the Oilers are indeed goofs so you may be right there 

If you take away ZM you leave someone else up for grabs in terms of retribution.

Better to have him in the lineup to settle it himself than someone take a run at one of our guys. I’d also put Schenn in the lineup just in case. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

14 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I like Rathbone, but I agree. 

I was kind of middle of the road regarding keeping Green or not, but I'm questioning some of their camp decisions this go round. If we somehow miss the playoffs him and Baumer gotta go, contracts be damned. The youth we've seen the last few years was talented enough to make it with or without him as a coach. Guess we'll have to see what the regular season brings. 

Miss the playoffs? 

Missing the playoffs with this roster in this weak division?

JB will have one move to save his job and that will be to fire Green at the earliest sign of struggle.

If we are in a losing streak early on in the season (before 25 game mark), that's the time to let him go. Green's had a super long leash, compared to say Willie Desjardins who was left as a lame duck coach. Green had better roster than WD and he was saved by heroics by Marky in 2020 where he carried the team to the playoffs and EP and QH helping to win a couple of rounds. Other than that season, Green's done squat.

I think Green is a promising up and coming coach but he might need to work through an AHL team and work his way up to the NHL again. Kinda like what Vigneault had to do to get the gig with the Canucks after being let go by Montreal.

2 minutes ago, khay said:

Miss the playoffs? 

JB will have one move to save his job and that will be to fire Green at the earliest sign of struggle.

If we are in a losing streak early on in the season (before 25 game mark), that's the time to let him go. Green's had a super long leash, compared to say Willie Desjardins who was left as a lame duck coach. Green had better roster than WD and he was saved by heroics by Marky in 2020 where he carried the team to the playoffs and EP and QH helping to win a couple of rounds. Other than that season, Green's done squat.

I think Green is a promising up and coming coach but he might need to work through an AHL team and work his way up to the NHL again. Kinda like what Vigneault had to do to get the gig with the Canucks after being let go by Montreal.

Umm, may want to google Travis Green. 

Just now, NUCKER67 said:

Anyone else concerned that Green will start Podkolzin in Abbotsford?

No way. Podz has improved every game based on my viewings.

But i'm concerned that he will mess up OJ and Rathbone.

Rathbone needs little more seasoning and he can be an even better player starting next season.

Letting a defenceman work on his game in the AHL is almost always good idea. I'm worried that he is going to rush Rathbone to the NHL too soon and ruin his development. 

On the other hand, OJ is ready for the NHL as a cheap serviceable 5-6D at this point. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, DrJockitch said:

4 years as Utica coach. He worked his way up through the AHL. 

That's why I said work his way through the AHL again.

AV coached MTL then, worked his way through Manitoba Moose on to the Canucks.

Mike Sullivan (Pens coach) worked his way through Bruins AHL team, moved on to the Bruins. Served as an assistant for Torts. Then, through Pens AHL team before getting the Pens job.

Green worked his way through the WHL -> AHL -> NHL. I'm saying if he can't get the job done now, he should be let go and maybe he should go through the AHL again and work on his coaching (or be an assistant before getting the gig again in the NHL like Sullivan).

Other great coaches have done that before.

The Canucks can't just keep handing him opportunities just because he is promising. If you can't deliver, you are gone.

Edited by khay
  • Cheers 3

Why in the focht is Focht still on our roster? Haven’t noticed anything at all from him really. Is it just so he can earn from the experience or for coaching to get a better look? Otherwise, seems a lil focht up to me.

Edited by RWJC

13 minutes ago, khay said:

Miss the playoffs? 

Which is a big part of why we'd need to walk away. With this roster I believe we should almost be a sure thing to make it assuming guys stay healthy, if we miss out coaching will inevitably be a part of why. 

I'm not going to say he's an awful coach, but we've got to have success while our stars are still young/prime aged and if he can't help us do that we need someone who can. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, SilentSam said:

I hope that’s Depietro and Joulevi for     Romanov mntl 

We don't need a LHD. And Romanov has been bad and a lot of the hype that hab fans heaped on him was always way over the top.

He makes the odd nice hit but the minute he isn't sheltered he gets exposed. He also plays the wrong side and has next to no offensive ability. 

Most hab fans and granted they are pretty wishy-washy have Ghule ahead of him based on camp so far.

If we are moving good assets it should be for an RHD but even then only if Hamonic is going the other way and no more kids, you always get stuck paying for potential and this team has been built to win now hopefully. 

Seeing how OEL and Poolman have come in and performed has opened me up to the idea that especially on D adding more established   guys as opposed to young raw prospects makes more sense.