The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

This would be my forward lineup as of now with everyone healthy. 

Hoglander-Petey-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Dickinson

Podkolzin-Miller-Garland

Motte-Sutter-???

Petey/Miller lines are more for offensive usage.

Horvat’s line is the shutdown line.

4th line is PK/secondary defensive usage. 4th line RW is up for grabs. Chiasson/Gadjo/Mac/Lockwood. Can fight for that spot and 13th forward. 

PK forwards

1st unit Sutter-Motte

2nd unit Dickinson-???/Pearson

IMO this works out really well if Dickinson isn’t bad at the dot. 

PP forwards 

1st unit Miller-Horvat-Petey-Boeser

2nd unit Hoglander-Dickinson-Garland-Pod

Not sure I would change the 1st unit PP right away.

2nd unit PP I would roll 4 forwards as well since we have Garland/Hog and one of OEL/Rathbone that can move around the puck well with Dick/Pod to cause problems around the net. 

6 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Actually Lockwood is a penalty killer!  He scored a nice shorthanded goal in the AHL last season! 

Do you see him facing McDavid and Co. right out of the gate though? I don't, I think he needs to be in the AHL and be a top guy there this season playing in all situations.

• Haha 1

Just now, FlyLow_ said:

Do you see him facing McDavid and Co. right out of the gate though? I don't, I think he needs to be in the AHL and be a top guy there this season playing in all situations.

Dickinson and Pearson will be first up.  Bo/Miller and Lockwood will be second up.  Lockwood is an incredibly gifted skated, and super smart and fearless.  He’s a fabulous PK guy.  He’s on the club.  Gadjovic is not on the club.  He needs to improve his defensive play.  

3 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

This would be my forward lineup as of now with everyone healthy. 

Hoglander-Petey-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Dickinson

Podkolzin-Miller-Garland

Motte-Sutter-???

Petey/Miller lines are more for offensive usage.

Horvat’s line is the shutdown line.

4th line is PK/secondary defensive usage. 4th line RW is up for grabs. Chiasson/Gadjo/Mac/Lockwood. Can fight for that spot and 13th forward. 

PK forwards

1st unit Sutter-Motte

2nd unit Dickinson-???/Pearson

IMO this works out really well if Dickinson isn’t bad at the dot. 

PP forwards 

1st unit Miller-Horvat-Petey-Boeser

2nd unit Hoglander-Dickinson-Garland-Pod

Not sure I would change the 1st unit PP right away.

2nd unit PP I would roll 4 forwards as well since we have Garland/Hog and one of OEL/Rathbone that can move around the puck well with Dick/Pod to cause problems around the net. 

I think you are close on the line-up, though I think Podz spot is very much up for grabs and I'm not sure that's how the lines will shake out. I think Di Guiseppe will be the guy on the 4th line and Petan will make the team as the 13th forward since he can play any forward position, most importantly Center.

The beauty of this line-up is there's lots of options to move guys around and roll 4 lines which is Green's style of coaching.

13 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Actually Lockwood is a penalty killer!  He scored a nice shorthanded goal in the AHL last season! 

To be honest I would be surprised if a coach like Green would grant a rookie that opportunity on the PK when he usually uses vets there.

Even OJ didn’t get a lot of time on the PK last year and that was reportedly what he was good at in Utica. 

1 minute ago, FlyLow_ said:

I think you are close on the line-up, though I think Podz spot is very much up for grabs and I'm not sure that's how the lines will shake out. I think Di Guiseppe will be the guy on the 4th line and Petan will make the team as the 13th forward since he can play any forward position, most importantly Center.

The beauty of this line-up is there's lots of options to move guys around and roll 4 lines which is Green's style of coaching.

DiGuissepi is in Abbotsford.  He’s not an NHL player.  

1 hour ago, Dixon Ward said:

I haven't heard 1 word about Dickinson so far in this camp.  Anyone have any insight as to how he looks?

Now that Loui is gone I’d put forth Dickinson as the new “Little Things”. Does lots of the small detail work away from the puck. Did have a nice bull rush to the net today though. I think he will be an appreciated player.

Just now, Locke Lamora said:

Now that Loui is gone I’d put forth Dickinson as the new “Little Things”. Does lots of the small detail work away from the puck. Did have a nice bull rush to the net today though. I think he will be an appreciated player.

Rather call him Lil Dickie. 

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

DiGuissepi is in Abbotsford.  He’s not an NHL player.  

You never know might be one of those thing where we think it’s Lockwood or someone as the extra forward only to find out it’s Pizza man hahahaha

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JM_ said:

now this would create some nifty line options if it sticks. 

Now if you were to only base things on Training Camp it would definitely NOT stick. They were hemmed in their own zone far more than they were on the attack. But yeah, I know…its only Training Camp. The preseason will be much more revealing.

Thinking about what I saw with Podz over that last 3 days I actually think Travis Green has to convince the kid to free himself for some offensive thrust. He is so obviously wired for defence and patrolling his zone of ice in the D zone - with his signature legs apart glide with his stick extended out one handed - that he’s often way behind his line mates when they break on up the ice. The Russian coaches really seemed to have done a number on the kid

Klimovich however….the kid just oozes offensive flair from his very pores. His skating was FAR better than I expected. As someone mentioned before he gets visibly down on himself when I he misses the net with a shot or fumbles a pass. At moments like this you are reminded he is freakin’ 18 years old.

As I’ve mentioned, Hoglander is just looking incredible right now. Gadj has made a step…now whether or not its enough for him to start in Van, not sure how Travis would view that. Loved how Lockwood looked. Jett Woo’s performance should silence some of his doubters too. His skating actually looked very good to me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1