The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Just now, DeNiro said:

I just don’t see D Giuesseppe as someone who’s gonna get better as the season goes along.

He’s 27 now and shown to be an AHL journeyman. If he was a really good pker that would be one thing. 

I see Gadjovich as someone who could start on the fourth line, but also his offensive upside would allow him to move up.

Only thing holding him back was his skating. He seems to have worked on that. Time for his shot.

I agree Gadj looks legit and have a hard time seeing him sent down. Canucks nation would be up in arms at this point. 

There just always seems to be that one guy that the coaches see something in that fans will question. I think that guy is Di Giuseppe. 

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

I can definitely see Di Giuseppe on the team. The fan in me wants to Gadj and Lockwood. I think Lockwood goes down those as he doesn’t require waivers. Probably the first call up 

Right now with Pettersson and Hughes unsigned, Hamonic undetermined, and Motte and Sutter injured, I think the opening night roster could look like:

Hoglander-Miller-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Garland

Di Giuseppe-Dickinson-Podkolzin

Gadjovich-4C-Chiasson

F1 (extra forward)

OEL-Poolman

Juolevi/Hunt-Myers

Rathbone-Schenn

Hunt/Juolevi, Bowey

Demko, Halak

For 4C and F1, I could seem some combination of Highmore, MacEwen, Dowling or maybe even Petan while Sutter and Motte are unavailable.

If Pettersson and Hughes are signed for opening night (hopefully...), Motte and Sutter are healthy but Hamonic opts out then:

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Garland

Hoglander-Dickinson-Podkolzin

Motte-Sutter-Chiasson

Gadjovich/Di Giuseppe

OEL-Poolman

Hughes-Schenn

Juolevi/Hunt-Myers

Hunt/Juolevi, Rathbone

Demko, Halak

Barring any trades or waiver pick ups, in this scenario, Canucks will have to either send down Rathbone or waive one of Juolevi or Hunt.  I think they might prefer to keep a spare RHD around but who knows.  I would like to see Gadjovich make the team but it's going to be hard fight.  Di Giuseppe has been used in a PK role so that would seem to give him a leg up but it would also be a shame to lose Gadjovich on waivers.  Cuts will be interesting.  I wonder if we'll see a round of cuts tomorrow or Friday before the 3rd pre-season game.

On 9/27/2021 at 11:11 AM, NHL97OneTimer said:

“I don’t think he did himself any favours,” said Green on Saturday about Juolevi’s training camp, particularly in the day one bag skate. “There’s a battle going on for that spot. He’s been through it before, I would have expected him to do better than he did in the skate.”

https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/canucks-hockey/canucks-camp-notes-the-hoglander-boeser-connection-and-the-hamonic-question-4458785

I took a lot of heat from @Rob_Zepp and others about commenting on how the bag skate wasn't a good look for OJ.  Not that OJ wasn't good enough, but how it wasn't a good look.  A bag skate is just a bag skate until you are compared with those wanting your job......according to the coach.

So now you are the coach!   :lol:    The coach can make comments like this, a couch potato like you.....nope.     See how it works?   

35 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I just don’t see Di Giuseppe as someone who’s gonna get better as the season goes along.

I see Gadjovich as someone who could start on the fourth line, but also his offensive upside would allow him to move up.

41 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

I can definitely see Di Giuseppe on the team. The fan in me wants to Gadj and Lockwood. I think Lockwood goes down those as he doesn’t require waivers. Probably the first call up 

What I'm hearing, in different words, is 'asset management'.  Will JB protect (by not risking through waivers) the player who isn't just there yet (Gadjo) but could be in a few months or so with the right development, or will he go with whomever is best able to help the team win right now (Di Giuseppe) regardless if it's a journeyman player who's not going to be in the long-range plans regardless? 

Could the club potentially be in a position of losing two 2nd rounders (Lind/Gadjo) and a first (OJ) in about three months with nothing to show for it?  I can only imagine the implosion that would be CDC if that came to pass. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

What I'm hearing, in different words, is 'asset management'.  Will JB protect (by not risking through waivers) the player who isn't just there yet (Gadjo) but could be in a few months or so with the right development, or will he go with whomever is best able to help the team win right now (Di Giuseppe) regardless if it's a journeyman player who's not going to be in the long-range plans regardless? 

Could the club potentially be in a position of losing two 2nd rounders (Lind/Gadjo) and a first (OJ) in about three months with nothing to show for it?  I can only imagine the implosion that would be CDC if that came to pass. 

I hope it is Gadj who makes the opening night roster. I think it is time, and I do like the intangibles that he brings to the line-up. Maybe not as tough as someone like Mac, but has a more complete game than Mac IMO. And I would prefer to see Gadj than Di Giuseppe or someone like that. However, I have to agree with Fanuck, that asset management cant be overlooked, and sending Gadj down to start isn't the worst idea.  I do think a convo needs to happen with Gadj by coach green and let him know he is in the plans sooner than later.

9 minutes ago, Dr.BRR said:

I hope it is Gadj who makes the opening night roster. I think it is time, and I do like the intangibles that he brings to the line-up. Maybe not as tough as someone like Mac, but has a more complete game than Mac IMO. And I would prefer to see Gadj than Di Giuseppe or someone like that. However, I have to agree with Fanuck, that asset management cant be overlooked, and sending Gadj down to start isn't the worst idea.  I do think a convo needs to happen with Gadj by coach green and let him know he is in the plans sooner than later.

If Gadj can't PK in NHL he likely will be in Abby. Canucks need 4th line guys who can kill penalties at the moment, Di Giuseppe bring more to the table at this point. Gadj will be a call up later in the year.