The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Would you trade our 2022 - 1st plus for a good RHD? (Discussion and Poll)

Would you trade our 2022 - 1st plus for a good RHD?  

59 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 hours ago, Chris12345 said:

Obviously.

Two questions

Define good

would the other team do it?

Hedman is good!

Respectfully Chris, Hedman is elite (aka great)

I do not think you can get that for a 1st.......not even 2 -1st's or 3 or 4

Especially under the cap

Edited by J.I.A.H.N
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

@HighOnHockey

Just spit balling here

But do you think Miller gets you Severson

and then take the 1st and trade it for a Miler Replacement

Kind of a reversal of what I intended, but Garland kind of made me think of it........

Just a question........interested in your thoughts on it

It's actually not a terrible idea at all. Could work for both teams. Both players about the same age, both have two years left on their current contracts. New Jersey could use some grit up front to try to establish themselves as a playoff team. Only problem is, Vancouver could also use some grit up front. The easy answer would be like you said, swap Miller for Severson and then use the first to go out and add some sort of Miller replacement. But the problem is, if a player like that is available, why wouldn't New Jersey just go after that same player instead of giving up Severson to get Miller? I guess we're assuming Miller is the superior player to this hypothetical other player, so maybe New Jersey wants to go all in. But they would need to be pretty damn sure that Ty Smith is ready to emerge as a feasible replacement to Severson. I dunno, it seems like a long shot, but within the realm of possibility.

Edited by HighOnHockey
  • Cheers 1

Our lack of a top RD isn’t our biggest problem right now in my opinion.  Even if we had Carlo and McAvoy back there with our current defense, we would still be hard pressed to win games since Petey and Brock aren’t playing like top line players right now.  

I love what Miller, Horvat, and Garland are doing for us right now but they can only do so much.  All of those players are strong 2nd line players on elite teams.  Miller should be a complementary player on a top line, similar to what Burrows and Morrison were to the SSB and WCE respectively.  Instead?  Miller has become the babysitter for both Petey and Brock and that is unacceptable.

SSB, WCE, 95-96 Mogilny’s line, and early to mid Bure’s line, all scared the crap out of opponents.  Petey and Brock don’t even scare 4th line or AHL level players right now.

• Cheers 2

On 10/6/2021 at 8:42 PM, J.I.A.H.N said:

@Phil_314

@Nuxfanabroad

@nuckin_futz

Hi Guys.....good question, but I want you all to determine the player and his salary

Personally, I am asking the same question

Manson - Anahiem

Savard - Montreal

Severson - NJersey

Are these guys good enough, with a low enough cap hit? I don't know! Is the offer worth the return?

Is there someone better that fits under the cap?

No way I'm trading the 2022 first round pick for Savard, he's on the wrong side of 30. That's just a bad trade looking to get worse. 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Patel Bure said:

Our lack of a top RD isn’t our biggest problem right now in my opinion.  Even if we had Carlo and McAvoy back there with our current defense, we would still be hard pressed to win games since Petey and Brock aren’t playing like top line players right now.  

I love what Miller, Horvat, and Garland are doing for us right now but they can only do so much.  All of those players are strong 2nd line players on elite teams.  Miller should be a complementary player on a top line, similar to what Burrows and Morrison were to the SSB and WCE respectively.  Instead?  Miller has become the babysitter for both Petey and Brock and that is unacceptable.

SSB, WCE, 95-96 Mogilny’s line, and early to mid Bure’s line, all scared the crap out of opponents.  Petey and Brock don’t even scare 4th line or AHL level players right now.

If Brock doesn't have a good season, that's good for the Canucks in terms of contract negotiations. 

Petey I have confidence will get going. Like I've said earlier, I'd like to see where Petey and the team is at 15-20 games into the season. If Petey hasn't gotten going at that point, then it'll be very concerning to say the least. 

And if the team is hovering below .500 at that point, then yeah, we'll be having all sorts of problems. 

21 hours ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

Respectfully Chris, Hedman is elite (aka great)

I do not think you can get that for a 1st.......not even 2 -1st's or 3 or 4

Especially under the cap

Players like Hedman are usually aquired through the draft. if you don't ever draft them, you won't get them. On the rare ocassion, you'll find gems in the middle to late rounds. But yeah, would actually take too much to acquire a player like Hedman, and there's no way Tampa Bay would let him go. 

• Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think we've burned enough 1st round picks lately, sure they turned out well for us but we can't lose so many 1st round picks in such quick succession or we'll be in trouble in around 5 years time with an empty prospect pool.

Ironically now we really need a young stud left handed defenceman who will eventually replace OEL and log big PK minutes. Juolevi would have been perfect but didn't pan out, but someone who can play on the left side even as a bottom pairing defenceman in a few years. I worry a combination of Rathbone and Hughes will be great offensively, but defensively who will kill penalties on the left side apart from 2 RHDs?

3 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I think we've burned enough 1st round picks lately, sure they turned out well for us but we can't lose so many 1st round picks in such quick succession or we'll be in trouble in around 5 years time with an empty prospect pool.

Ironically now we really need a young stud left handed defenceman who will eventually replace OEL and log big PK minutes. Juolevi would have been perfect but didn't pan out, but someone who can play on the left side even as a bottom pairing defenceman in a few years. I worry a combination of Rathbone and Hughes will be great offensively, but defensively who will kill penalties on the left side apart from 2 RHDs?

I think we're in greater need of a blue chip RHD. Because as of today, we do not have anyone in our system. 

The closest player to that is Woo, and I don't consider him a top pairing defenseman in the NHL. Sorry. 

He'd be a good top four guy if he pans out. Perfect third pairing guy if things go well for him developmental wise.