The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Would you trade our 2022 - 1st plus for a good RHD? (Discussion and Poll)

Would you trade our 2022 - 1st plus for a good RHD?  

59 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Said yes, but also has to be careful.

I'm sure 5-6 years ago, everyone would have given up the 1st to acquire Madison Bowey, who apparently was an up and coming RHD.  Look how that turned out.  At the same time, no team is going to give a good young RHD for a possible middle of the pack 1st, unless it's a team unloading like the Coyotes, but that trade would happens before the next draft, not during the season.

The way RFA contracts are going I am not sure we can afford a top right D without getting rid of a significant contract. 
If Colorado wants to give us Byram, fine. 
Wouldn’t even consider anyone over 25. 
Ultimately though, probably not, we have already given up two recently and in cap era there are no perfect lineups. 

14 hours ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

Ok......anyone that knows me on these boards, knows I love the draft, but when I look at our RHD, it just looks like we need that better than average Dman, so I ask you the Question, would you make that kind of trade, and who would you want for that type of asset (our 2022 1st)....is there an add to this from our side and who?

Depends who it is, trading 3 first round picks 3 years in a row is tough to swallow

• Cheers 1

14 hours ago, JM_ said:

@J.I.A.H.N

conditional "yes" but Myers has to be the + in the deal, our cap isn't structured for anything else until he's replaced.

So what team has a U25 RHD, and needs a 1st and can take Myers?

This is a good post.  I'm not sure if there's a team out there that would fit that description.  

Originally in the summer, I was thinking that we could use Quinn Hughes as a sweetener to move Myers to New Jersey for Graves, Severson, and a 1st, but @mlldid a pretty good job of pointing out why NJ would decline that deal.  

My current thought is this:   IF the Canucks look like they're playoff bound at the deadline while Montreal looks to be out of contention, then I think a Tyler Myers for Jeff Petry type deal might be beneficial.  Both Myers and Petry have similar cap hits and term if I recall correctly.   Obviously - Myers and a 1st would only get the conversation started (i.e. Nucks would likely have to add in more pieces), but I think that's the guy you target with a Myers deal.  

As far as U25 guys go, I don't think Seider, Schneider, or Dobson can be had (barring an insane overpayment).  Maybe Ceulemans from this past draft could be had?    

I can't see the Kings giving up Matt Roy.  

• Vintage 1

27 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

This is a good post.  I'm not sure if there's a team out there that would fit that description.  

Originally in the summer, I was thinking that we could use Quinn Hughes as a sweetener to move Myers to New Jersey for Graves, Severson, and a 1st, but @mlldid a pretty good job of pointing out why NJ would decline that deal.  

My current thought is this:   IF the Canucks look like they're playoff bound at the deadline while Montreal looks to be out of contention, then I think a Tyler Myers for Jeff Petry type deal might be beneficial.  Both Myers and Petry have similar cap hits and term if I recall correctly.   Obviously - Myers and a 1st would only get the conversation started (i.e. Nucks would likely have to add in more pieces), but I think that's the guy you target with a Myers deal.  

As far as U25 guys go, I don't think Seider, Schneider, or Dobson can be had (barring an insane overpayment).  Maybe Ceulemans from this past draft could be had?    

Montreal isn’t going to trade their best defenceman who’s has 4 years of term left if they happen to be out of contention at the trade deadline.  They like throwing in the towel for the next couple seasons too.  

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Montreal isn’t going to trade their best defenceman who’s has 4 years of term left if they happen to be out of contention at the trade deadline.  They like throwing in the towel for the next couple seasons too.  

Just as an organization, maybe they just decide to go in a different direction and rebuild?  Especially when you consider the fact that Weber is gone while Price’s situation is a little up in air.  But to your point, it might just be wishful thinking on my part.

Ps - just thinking outloud - is there a defensive RD in the league right now that basically has equal value to Rathbone?  Or equal value to Rathbone and Klimovich combined?

10 hours ago, Patel Bure said:

I think it might be more something like a team is at odds with an RFA who won't sign with them, e.g. say McAvoy suddenly hates Boston for some reason. In that kind of hypothetical maybe we can scoop in and get someone.

But tbh, I think our best best is keeping our 1st and drafting the player.

• Cheers 2

I’ll say one thing about our draft picks:

Although there has been a concern as to how many 1st round picks that we’ve given up, I’ll also argue that a number of our current picks have outperformed their respective draft positons:

2013:  Where does Horvat go in a redraft?

2014:  Where does Demko go in a redraft?

2015:  Where does Boeser go in a redraft?

2017:  Where do Pettersson and Rathbone go in a redraft?

2018:  Where does Hughes go in a redraft?

2019:  Where do Podkolzin and Hoglander go in a redraft?

2021:  It’s early........but dare I say that Klimovich scrapes into the 1st round here?

Perhaps I’m looking at this through rosy colored glasses but the way I see it, we’ve drafted the equivalent of 9 1st round picks over the last 9 drafts.  

Even a guy like Virtanen, who did not live up to his hype, would likely have gone 31st or 32nd in a redraft.  And last we forget, guys like JT Miller and Connor Garland are basically the equivalent of 1st round picks (although the jury is still out on Garland).  

I guess the point I’m trying to make here is that IF the Canucks decide to choose to move yet another 1st rounder for that elusive RD, it shouldn’t be perceived as “Benning pissing away another pick” given the fact that we’ve performed quite well at the draft over the past 9 years.

Edited by Patel Bure
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Right now, no. We're getting pretty thin on prospects. 

We need more Centres and Defencemen. 

We're getting thin on prospects because we've had so many graduates within our system.  

Garland-Pettersson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Hoglander

Petan-Miller-Podkolzin

Highmore-Dickinson-MacEwen

Chiasson

OEL-Myers

Hughes-Poolman

Rathbone-Schenn

Demko

Halak

-Dipietro, Lockwood, Juolevi, and Klimovich are in the system.  Dipietro will likely replace Halak at some point while Klimovich looks like a future roster player.

-Gaudette, Virtanen, and Tryamkin were a part of the system and gave us at least one full year.

-We still have Jet Woo as a possibility.  

I agree with you that we need to expand our prospect pool a bit, but lets give credit where credit is due.  We've had a ton of graduates.  Furthermore, perhaps I'm wrong on this, but I truly believe that this team makes a quantum leap IF they somehow bring in a top pairing RD.   I would normally agree with you that we should be wary in moving firsts and prospects, but this team's only weakness seems to be in its top pairing RD (i.e. a 'defensive' defenseman).  

7 hours ago, Patel Bure said:

We're getting thin on prospects because we've had so many graduates within our system.  

Garland-Pettersson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Hoglander

Petan-Miller-Podkolzin

Highmore-Dickinson-MacEwen

Chiasson

OEL-Myers

Hughes-Poolman

Rathbone-Schenn

Demko

Halak

-Dipietro, Lockwood, Juolevi, and Klimovich are in the system.  Dipietro will likely replace Halak at some point while Klimovich looks like a future roster player.

-Gaudette, Virtanen, and Tryamkin were a part of the system and gave us at least one full year.

-We still have Jet Woo as a possibility.  

I agree with you that we need to expand our prospect pool a bit, but lets give credit where credit is due.  We've had a ton of graduates.  Furthermore, perhaps I'm wrong on this, but I truly believe that this team makes a quantum leap IF they somehow bring in a top pairing RD.   I would normally agree with you that we should be wary in moving firsts and prospects, but this team's only weakness seems to be in its top pairing RD (i.e. a 'defensive' defenseman).  

I think it might even fair to ask, what have our draft picks returned?

Then ultimately, you have to add, Miller, Garland, Pearson, and OEL to that list.......

Really, when you look at it, assets are coin, and coin buys assets................all your highlighted guys, plus those who I point out all, in some form came from the draft.........

and all Benning's doings.........truly not bad per say

• Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...

(Edited)

The guys I like are John Klingberg and Colton Payrako.

Trade Bait -

Brock Boeser 

Tyler Myers

2022 1st round pick, 3,4,5th round picks

prospects - Aiden McDonough, Will Lockwood, Mikey DiPietro  

Trying something new Lines 

Hoglander Miller Garland  

Podkolzin Horvat Pettersson 

Pearson Lammiko Chiasson 

Motte Dickenson Dowling 

Highmore

OEL Klingberg

Hughes Payrako 

Rathbone Poolman  

Hunt Schenn 

Edited by kenhodgejr
  • Cheers 1

Conor Timmins is our guy:

Although It probably wouldn’t take our 2022 1st, what do you think it would take to coax Arizona into trading us Conor Timmins?   

Age wise and position wise, I think Timmins is our guy.  Guys like Seider, Schneider, Dobson, Andersson, are all great, but there’s no way we’d be able to realistically acquire them barring a *huge* overpayment.

1 hour ago, kenhodgejr said:

The guy I like is John Klingberg. I dont think Dallas can afford him. Myers would have to go back in the deal. If Hamonic is off the books we have a little extra cap room. 

To me the way to fix our D is moving Myers + 1st for Klingberg. We would get a defensively responsible guy who would be a perfect pairing with OEL

OEL Klingberg

Hughes Poolman

Rathbone Boroughs 

Hunt Schenn 

This is looking like a better D group. 

We still need to add a fighter up front and Ideally a center. Someone who can play and fight like the way Marcus Foligno does in Minnisota or Patrick Maroon, or Tyler Burtuzzi, or  Tom Wilson 

I like your idea a lot but I just can’t see Dallas doing this.  If they walk from Klingberg, they’ll probably try and make more efficient use of that freed up cap space as opposed to spending on a +30 Myers.  

Having said that, I have been quite impressed with Myers this season.  The way he carried the puck and used his body to assert himself during the Podkolzin goal was tremendous.

Just now, Patel Bure said:

I like your idea a lot but I just can’t see Dallas doing this.  If they walk from Klingberg, they’ll probably try and make more efficient use of that freed up cap space as opposed to spending on a +30 Myers.  

Having said that, I have been quite impressed with Myers this season.  The way he carried the puck and used his body to assert himself during the Podkolzin goal was tremendous.

His offense is good, but its his defense that hurts us and his inability to pair him well with other offensive players like Hughes or OEL

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, kenhodgejr said:

His offense is good, but its his defense that hurts us and his inability to pair him well with other offensive players like Hughes or OEL

Agreed with you about Myers.  I’m just not sure if Myers is moveable despite his good play this season. Too much money and term I believe.

Just now, Patel Bure said:

Agreed with you about Myers.  I’m just not sure if Myers is moveable despite his good play this season. Too much money and term I believe.

I see him as a good bottom pairing guy to have on your team if you have a good defensively minded LD to pair him with that can cover him from time to time. But not at the money he is making. I see him more as a 4 million a year kind of player. 

• Cheers 1