The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Sharks claim Jonah Gadjovich off waivers

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

If they’re the right vets yes.

If it’s just vets you’re plugging in for the sake of depth not necessarily.

I totally agree. But like I said in an earlier post, we’re dealing with a bottom of the barrel/clearance price point budget for our plugs. What we have is still an upgrade over the crap we brought in last season. Jimmy FECES. Travis Boyredom. At least we seem to have improved that way.

5 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Let me guess. You couldn’t help yourself talking s_ _ _ about this team again.

Because.

That's not very accurate and I have many, mostly positive comments. The team has been too soft for years and nothing has been done about that. JB even knows that. It's why he signed Ferland. Yet here we are with no Ferland and as soft a lineup I've ever seen. We've gone backwards with that particular skill set. 

2 hours ago, Shayster007 said:

Not that I agree with him being waived, but clearly there was more going on in managements eyes. If you're only seeing that much ice time in preseason them coach must have not thought he was doing very well.

I have no issue with criticizing management or coaching, but I do also think it's important that these people do this for a living. They know far more then anyone here. People calling calling for greens head saying he had no idea what he's doing is just dumb. Guy is a NHL coach. You could argue that makes him one of the 32 best people in the world at doing his job.

Yup I agree with you. 

I decided to have trust in the management for exactly the reasons you pointed out. 

What I was speaking about were the know it alls on CDC that started talking out of their butts about systems, defence etc and started trashing his game. 

It would have been better if they just said, hmmm not sure why he got waived but I'll have to trust TG and Benning... 

I'm only speculating but he did no worse than guys like Dries and Focht but he was waived earlier. He also has a better pedigree and had more success last year. I can only think that the staff knew what they had and it was borderline whether he'd make the team this year so they took a chance and tried to hide him. TG even said they planned on having him come up this year and play so clearly his future has some level of NHL playing time. 

Anyway, I don't know if Gadj would have made much difference this year but I wish him all the best in SJ 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, rekker said:

That's not very accurate and I have many, mostly positive comments. The team has been too soft for years and nothing has been done about that. JB even knows that. It's why he signed Ferland. Yet here we are with no Ferland and as soft a lineup I've ever seen. We've gone backwards with that particular skill set. 

Two out of two.

Cool.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Me_ said:

Two out of two.

Cool.

It absolutely blows my mind how disingenuous some people are when it comes to this team.

The same people who in the past have used guys like Gadj to crap on Benning and his drafting all of a sudden now bitch about losing him.

Sure having him clear would of been cool but the simple truth is he was a tweener and the team felt he wasn't ready to be on the big club and put him on waivers at a time they felt was the best chance of him clearing and I agree since at that time most teams still had their own decisions to make.

People say well just stick him on the 4th line but all that does is create a situation where he isn't in a ideal spot to use his assets while making our 4th line weaker just like how Gaudette was a trainwreck in a defensive role.

I honestly won't be surprised if he ends up getting waived by the sharks.

• Vintage 1

11 hours ago, RWJC said:

I totally agree. But like I said in an earlier post, we’re dealing with a bottom of the barrel/clearance price point budget for our plugs. What we have is still an upgrade over the crap we brought in last season. Jimmy FECES. Travis Boyredom. At least we seem to have improved that way.

Best nickname ever for Vesey, bar none.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

This has long been my frustration with Benning and Green.

Vets who have experience sucking at hockey or playing bit roles because they aren’t very good aren’t what makes a team a cup contender.

Thats exactly it

Going with vets that has a ceiling of 11th-13th forward seems like we are striving for mediocrity.

We see all the time where young kids play a pivitol role in the playoffs and give the team the extra push to win.

With vets, you are playing safe for a 7-8th playoff seed and a first round exit. Who knows though. Maybe Aquman told TG and JB that they are out if they dont make the playoffs this year so both guys are doing everything they can to make the playoffs.

Who knows whether Gadj would have flourished in his 4th line role and then get bumped up to top 9 and play with guys like Miller, Hogs, or Garland or Podz and pot a few more goals?

If that happens, Canucks are set up really well going into the playoffs.  The chance of that happening was low but there was still that chance.

I unfortuantely dont see that with Highmore or Chiasson.

I see the floor being very similar between guys like Gadj, Highmore, Chiasson but I see the ceiling being much more different.

2 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Thats exactly it

Going with vets that has a ceiling of 11th-13th forward seems like we are striving for mediocrity.

We see all the time where young kids play a pivitol role in the playoffs and give the team the extra push to win.

With vets, you are playing safe for a 7-8th playoff seed and a first round exit. Who knows though. Maybe Aquman told TG and JB that they are out if they dont make the playoffs this year so both guys are doing everything they can to make the playoffs.

Who knows whether Gadj would have flourished in his 4th line role and then get bumped up to top 9 and play with guys like Miller, Hogs, or Garland or Podz and pot a few more goals?

If that happens, Canucks are set up really well going into the playoffs.  The chance of that happening was low but there was still that chance.

I unfortuantely dont see that with Highmore or Chiasson.

I see the floor being very similar between guys like Gadj, Highmore, Chiasson but I see the ceiling being much more different.

Highmore is the most overrated bottom 6 player we have. He skates fast but has limited hockey sense, constantly skates himself out of position, and really adds very little other than fitting the all in dump and chase style Green wants the team to play. He would not likely be playing top 9 minutes on any other team in the NHL if he was playing at all.

He was clearly guaranteed a spot simply because they gave up Gaudette to get him.

Him being on the team is a clear example of not actually making players earn a spot.

• Cheers 1

50 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Highmore is the most overrated bottom 6 player we have. He skates fast but has limited hockey sense, constantly skates himself out of position, and really adds very little other than fitting the all in dump and chase style Green wants the team to play. He would not likely be playing top 9 minutes on any other team in the NHL if he was playing at all.

He was clearly guaranteed a spot simply because they gave up Gaudette to get him.

Him being on the team is a clear example of not actually making players earn a spot.

Yup

WHat's the point of a centre that loses draws if the rest of the skills are sub par to other forwards?

13 hours ago, RWJC said:

Who are you referring to as Jimmy Feces and Travis Boyredom?

17 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Yup

WHat's the point of a centre that loses draws if the rest of the skills are sub par to other forwards?

You guys could have McDavid on the team and still talk crap about his character.

Always negative.

Shameful.

41 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Not always negative.

I just tell it like it is

Did you think Highmore was deserving of a spot?

More deserving than Lind, Gadjiovich, and anyone else who didn’t make the cut.

There are other, economic based factors going into such decisions as well. 

Im not at that table. But if f I were, I would be.

2 hours ago, Me_ said:

There are other, economic based factors going into such decisions as well. 

Ding ding ding. We have a winner here! 

When it came to actual play on the ice, you can't say Highmore was better than Gadj. 

If you know in the 9 minutes you saw Gadj play whether he was better than the other players also fighting for a spot, the Canucks should give you a job as a pro scout. 

Keep in mind in the 2 games with very little ice time, he had an assist in 1 game and scored the lone goal for the Canucks in another game and was a +1 on a team full of minuses in a 4-1 loss,

Im telling it as it is. Not a major difference in overall team level whether you put Gadj or Highmore on 4th line as they'll both play limited minutes so not much of an opportunity to shine. 

Highmore is more seasoned so risk variance would be less but also capped is future potential. Canucks sent down Gadj early after playing him in 2 games with very limited ice time and he produced points just like he did all of last season in the AHL. 

Canucks then suddenly stopped playing him, sat him out for 2 games and then put him on waivers. 

This was followed up by TG saying he looked good and they were hoping to bring him up to play some games this year. 

Do you not see the disconnect?