The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Bob Murray resigns as Ducks GM, Jeff Solomon named as interim GM

Rate this topic

3 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

Hopefully the resignation doesn't put an end to the investigation.

This.

As much as I hope the program helps him, I've gotta wonder if it's his way of stepping down and getting sympathy instead of resigning because he's an asshole. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

This.

As much as I hope the program helps him, I've gotta wonder if it's his way of stepping down and getting sympathy instead of resigning because he's an asshole. 

I think you can be of both minds of which I personally am. I want anyone suffering from addiction to get help because that means less people negatively effected by a persons abhorrent behavior. At the same time I do think this is absolutely a pr preemptive move to generate sympathy instead of criticism for his alleged abuse of his players.

• Cheers 2

Just now, StanleyCupOneDay said:

I think you can be of both minds of which I personally am. I want anyone suffering from addiction to get help because that means less people negatively effected by a persons abhorrent behavior. At the same time I do think this is absolutely a pr preemptive move to generate sympathy instead of criticism for his alleged abuse of his players.

We're on the same page bc that's what I'm thinking as well 

• Cheers 2

12 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

We're on the same page bc that's what I'm thinking as well 

It’s hard not to be thinking that given my probably correct assumption that this abuse was over many many years and spanned dozens or more people. The only reason to come forward now is that the seat for the powerful got way hotter and thanks to Beach his behavior has become unacceptable in the league today so a preemptive pr move was his best option.

The first best time to do the right thing is at the time of the first incident, the second best time to do the right thing is now, so I’ll give him some credit for doing what many others refuse to do. I hope he gets the help he needs and becomes a better person for it.

95% of my empathy/thoughts goes to those that Murray allegedly abused however. We don’t know the names of those victims yet and we may not ever, but I hope they find solace in knowing he won’t hurt anyone else again and can find peace some day with their abusive trauma suffered.

Edited by StanleyCupOneDay
  • Cheers 2

13 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Agreed. He’s one of the few NHL executives that I’d be absolutely shocked to hear allegations of any past or present misconduct.

I don’t agree with everything Benning’s done during his tenure, but any criticisms are strictly hockey ops related, in areas like team building, strategy, etc.

But he’s always given me “good guy” vibes. Seems to genuinely care about his players and staff, and goes out of his way, sometimes even at minor losses on the purely competitive/“asset management” side of hockey ops, to treat people right and look out for their well being.

He clearly wants to win, but he’s not one of these “win at all costs” GMs who doesn’t consider the human side of the equation.

Not so sure Trevor Linden would concur

But, Linden doesn't work that way

6 minutes ago, Mackcanuck said:

Not so sure Trevor Linden would concur

But, Linden doesn't work that way

I think just because someone parts ways with someone else, it's not always due to character issues. It could have easily been due to ideas on where the team should be headed.

So to think Linden would "concur" or not seems kind of silly and immature to me when it likely wasn't due to Benning's character to begin with. I think people overthink situations way too much, which I understand since not a lot is known to begin with and people want to fill in the gaps but, as a result of that, is unlikely to be accurate at all.

Edited by The Lock
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, The Lock said:

I think just because someone parts ways with someone else, it's not always due to character issues. It could have easily been due to ideas on where the team should be headed.

So to think Linden would "concur" or not seems kind of silly and immature to me when it likely wasn't due to Benning's character to begin with.

Enlighten me with your mature version of what happened between Linden and Benning.

• Wat 1

9 hours ago, The Lock said:

There was a disagreement on where the team should go and Linden left. That's all it has to be. It doesn't mean Linden hates Benning's guts or his character. It means there was a disagreement. That's it.

All of this hating someone's character is unknown at best so assuming such a thing is what I'm talking about with the immature part. I get that people want to speculate on things and make things up in place of what they don't know, but that doesn't make that stuff correct.

If enlightening is about basing things on what we know and what we don't, then consider my job here to be done, unless of course you have proof that there were character arguments, then enlighten me with your proof. I'm willing to listen. ;)

You know that Linden hired Benning.  Linden was his boss.  Linden was President.  Benning GM.  That's the way it's supposed to work but this is hockey.  So there's that.  

There was talk that Benning went directly to ownership with his plan which was more in line with what ownership wanted than what Linden had proposed.  Ownership loved it and Linden resigned.  

To back track, Linden was interviewing GM's and others around the league as to strategies to rebuild the team.  He was reportedly more in line with the Winnipeg model.  Benning promised something faster.

So what happened to the faster plan since the summer of 2018 when Linden left?

2016-17 BOTTOM with 69 points in 82 games

2017-18, 73 points, Boeser as a rookie was the top goal getter with 29 and was the all star rep, tied Daniel with 55.  Sedin's retire and Linden resigns.

2018-19, 81 points in 82 games, Petey's rookie year and leads in scoring with 66 points, Horvat 61, Boeser 56 coming off scary back injury in rookie year

2019-20, 78 points in 69 games in the covid shortened season.  Playoffs - lost in 7 to Vegas in 2nd round.  Top 5 pp.

Miller 72, Petey 66, Horvat 53, Hughes (r) 53, Pearson 45, Boeser 45

2020-21, 50 points in 56 games.  Bad year with early slump and the team was slammed by covid.  Petey hurt for much of the year.

Boeser 49, Miller 46, Hughes 41, Horvat 39, Hoglander (r) 37, EP 21, Myers 21, Pearson 18

2021-22, 12 points in 16 games.  Top line slumping, special teams struggle

Miller 16, Hughes 12, Garland 11, Horvat 10, EP 9, Boeser 8, Hoglander 5, Pearson 5

We endured Drance slagging Benning for mismanaging the team in an appalling way these past 2 seasons but is he right?  Is it Benning or is it ownership not wanting to spend money when there is no income from the gate and they're trying to survive on tv revenue alone?   

Look, it's hard to tell when the team is close to turning the corner and it's time to leave them alone and let things unfold.  Also, last year, Benning tried hard to land OEL but it just didn't pan out and he settled for Schmidt but he only gave up a 3rd round pick.  I don't understand why Schmidt had to go necessarily.  Sure, he didn't adjust that well but circumstance around the team wasn't great.  Everybody had a bad year.  Does that mean that they needed to move on from Schmidt?  Maybe there was more to the story than we knew.

This past offseason, Benning pulled off a very good looking deal, bringing in OEL and Garland and shedding a lot of wasted cap at the same time.  He also added a lot of bottom 6 players, many of whom, didn't make the team in the end.  So we all think that there must be great improvements in the team yet they slump anyway.  Are they rotten to the core, or are the changes just taking a long time to manifest themselves?

I'm pretty sure that Aquilini won't pull the plug until the mid season reviews at least.  In the meantime, here's hoping that we can turn this season around

• Cheers 1