The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

2 minutes ago, BPA said:

Don’t think he will sign a short term contract when he can go UFA and sign a big long term contract elsewhere.  He would be 32yrs after that 2yr contract.  If his play dips or he gets injured, he might miss out on his big legacy deal.

I feel at 32 he can still squeeze a longer term 5-6 year deal at $7+ because GMs can not help themselves.

16 minutes ago, BPA said:

I think Miller will get traded so I’ll play your game too.  Lol.

$9M x 6yr.

$8M x 7yr. NMC (first 4yr) / NTC (10 teams) last 3 years.

$7M x 8.  Full NMC.

and I don't think he'd sign either of those in Vancouver.  If he were to choose Van over American teams, they'd have to overpay significantly, like a million over market value, minimum, plus nmc

1 minute ago, stawns said:

and I don't think he'd sign either of those in Vancouver.  If he were to choose Van over American teams, they'd have to overpay significantly, like a million over market value, minimum, plus nmc

Yeah.

I just threw out those numbers to see what it looks like.  Probably should be at least $8M and 8yr with full NMC or something.  Can’t see him wanting to paid less than EP or QH.

1 minute ago, BPA said:

Yeah.

I just threw out those numbers to see what it looks like.  Probably should be at least $8M and 8yr with full NMC or something.  Can’t see him wanting to paid less than EP or QH.

aside from the fact I don't think he wants to play in Canada anymore, it'd have to be a huge overpayment to make up for the tax inequity between Canada and many of the US states.  He can sign at a lower caphit and still take home more money than he would in Van

32 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

Real question to those who don't think we should trade Miller. What contract do you realistically think we have to sign him at, and how many of those years do we get before he production drops off. For a team that was cap strapped for so many years and has another long bout of OEL which could very easily become problematic in a few years, I feel like signing Miller at nearly 30 for long term big money is a very risky thing to do. It's not like Miller plays an easy game either, gotta reckon his body has taken some hard miles in his time in the NHL.

To answer my own question, realistically, I think it takes 9 million over 6 years to sign Miller. I just have a hard time picturing this team competing if Miller's production falls off in about 3 years (which is probably a fair assumption) and eating up that much of the cap while we are trying to sign our young stars for new contracts, or add that last piece to win a cup like JR did with Pitts.

Miller s upcoming contract feels like a move a team makes to put them over the top. Yes, long term it could be a rocky road, but he could help you push hard for a cup. I just don't know if that's our window.

Miller is not getting 9M per! Lol

If he wants to stay I say JR will extend him at around 7M per, no questions asked. Bob is your uncle. It’s all up to JT and if he wants to be reasonable. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, grandmaster said:

If he wants to stay I say JR will extend him at around 7M per, no questions asked. Bob is your uncle. It’s all up to JT and if he wants to be reasonable. 

so at $7m per, what comparables are you using for that number?

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

23 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

What about this idea?

JT Miller to Boston for:

(RW) Fabian Lysell - prospect

(RD) Jack Studnicka - prospect

(LW) Jake Debrusk - (cap / immediate help in bottom 6)

Debrusk is an RFA at the end of the season, but he probably won't be too expensive to re-sign. Maybe the change of scenery with this young core would be good for him?  Gotta be better than hanging around Marchand all day, every day.

The only way I trade Miller is for a top end prospect/player who plays defence.  

5 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Zibanejad got 8.5m x 8yrs with NMC I believe, so would a team give JT 9m...have to think its possible. Tavares was offered like 12 or 13m from San Jose but signed with the Laffs instead

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

so at $7m per, what comparables are you using for that number?

Team cap comparisons.

If I’m right, he has bonded with a lot of the players here, loves the fact that Green is finally gone and we have proper management. He will do what needs to be done and will win us a Cup. Contrary to a lot of folks saying he doesn’t care about remaining a Canuck, he has been on the record stating otherwise.

Just now, grandmaster said:

Team cap comparisons.

If I’m right, he has bonded with a lot of the players here, loves the fact that Green is finally gone and we have proper management. He will do what needs to be done and will win us a Cup. Contrary to a lot of folks saying he doesn’t care about remaining a Canuck, he has been on the record stating otherwise.

you think his agent is going to use the team as salary comparables?  Miller doesn't negotiate, his agent does and his agent will make sure he knows that this is his career defining contract.......the one that sets him up for the rest of his life and sets his kids up for the rest of theirs.  He's not taking a discount, sorry.......especially not in Van.

• Thanks 1

Just now, stawns said:

you think his agent is going to use the team as salary comparables?  Miller doesn't negotiate, his agent does and his agent will make sure he knows that this is his career defining contract.......the one that sets him up for the rest of his life and sets his kids up for the rest of theirs.  He's not taking a discount, sorry.......especially not in Van.

Agents are directed by their clients. Don’t act like folks haven’t taken less than market value to remain a Canuck. I agree he will get term but he is not going for the last dollar. You will see

1 minute ago, grandmaster said:

Agents are directed by their clients. Don’t act like folks haven’t taken less than market value to remain a Canuck. I agree he will get term but he is not going for the last dollar. You will see

like?  And don't use the twins as an example

43 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

Real question to those who don't think we should trade Miller. What contract do you realistically think we have to sign him at, and how many of those years do we get before he production drops off. For a team that was cap strapped for so many years and has another long bout of OEL which could very easily become problematic in a few years, I feel like signing Miller at nearly 30 for long term big money is a very risky thing to do. It's not like Miller plays an easy game either, gotta reckon his body has taken some hard miles in his time in the NHL.

To answer my own question, realistically, I think it takes 9 million over 6 years to sign Miller. I just have a hard time picturing this team competing if Miller's production falls off in about 3 years (which is probably a fair assumption) and eating up that much of the cap while we are trying to sign our young stars for new contracts, or add that last piece to win a cup like JR did with Pitts.

Miller s upcoming contract feels like a move a team makes to put them over the top. Yes, long term it could be a rocky road, but he could help you push hard for a cup. I just don't know if that's our window.

I think we should trade Miller but I'll answer the question. I think you're on the high side so I'll say a Canucks friendly deal is 6x$8, or 8x$7.5. I don't know if he'll push for a max contract or not but I have the feeling he really wants to win. That's a fair contract for a good player but it still leaves us top heavy at forward so one of Bo, Boeser, or Petey will have to go. It also leaves us with 3 centers making over $7 so either Bo, Miller, or Petey switches to the wing moving forward.

On a team with more depth and at age 32/33 I think Miller's points will drop off quite dramatically. He's also less likely to produce if everything isn't going through him. It's win a cup in 4 years or suffer 10 years of rebuilding. Pretty easy decision in my eyes.

It all hinges on Miller's view of the team and his desire to stay in Canada for his entire career. I just can't see it.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, rekker said:

I'm not saying Miller wants to stay. But Kesler and Hamhuis come to mind. 

I'm not sure a $5m contract, with full NTC, for a beat up Kesler was a discount.  It certainly didn't end well,which is pause for thought with Miller.  $4.5m was probably slightly below market value for Hamhuis, but a full NTC again, which did not age well for Van.

• Upvote 1