The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

4 minutes ago, Westcoastcanucks777 said:

more of a long term financial question ....plus I remember little Hughes sulking in the that one year....healthy Hughes vs healthy Byram....WHO DO YOU CHOOSE>>>Choose wisely.....

OH man, I feel like this is a choose  your own adventure where I die either way lol

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, HKSR said:

Like I said to that poster as well, wait until he plays again before talking about franchise defenceman. 

Crosby had 2 or 3 concussions over the course of his career.

Byram has had 3 in his first 2 seasons and was contemplating quitting hockey altogether less than 6 months ago. 

I laugh because it's setting an unbelievably high bar for someone that has his health concerns ahead of everything else.  Is he gonna just step right back into the league as basically a rookie again and light it up?  I have serious doubts.

EDIT:  Based on how he has reacted so far going to his mom and dad, and telling them he can't do this anymore tells me he doesn't have the same mental fortitude as Sidney Crosby either.

Big oof. Talk about lack of compassion... A 20 year old kid expressing worry about his career and rest of his life to his parents is a sign of lack of mental fortitude? I'm in my 30s with a family and I still call my Mum when the going gets tough. The fact that you have used that argument multiple times in this thread speaks absolute volumes to me, personally.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

Just now, Shayster007 said:

Big oof. Talk about lack of compassion... A 20 year old kid expressing worry about his career and rest of his life to his parents is a sign of lack of mental fortitude? I'm in my 30s with a family and I still call my Mum when the going gets tough. The fact that you have used that argument multiple times in this thread speaks absolute volumes to me, personally.

How is that lacking compassion?  It's just an observation and is a completely separate issue from his concussion. 

I think it absolutely sucks that Byram is going through this, but I also recognize that Byram is a professional athlete.  He really should be speaking for himself and not having his mom and dad relay information to the media.  When was the last time you heard ANY NHL player have their mom and/or dad relay messages to the media???

4 minutes ago, HKSR said:

How is that lacking compassion?  It's just an observation and is a completely separate issue from his concussion. 

I think it absolutely sucks that Byram is going through this, but I also recognize that Byram is a professional athlete.  He really should be speaking for himself and not having his mom and dad relay information to the media.  When was the last time you heard ANY NHL player have their mom and/or dad relay messages to the media???

image.thumb.png.6f39bc14f61d731a31ce0accdce69031.png

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Colorado specifically said at the time they were letting him distance from the team so he could focus on his health. I highly doubt he asked his parents to do that. If anything it was a journalist wanting to provide information for the fan base about his situation without further burdening Byram.

You can interpret it how ever you want, as can I interpret my perceived lack of compassion.

Getting tougher and tougher to see them making a big sell type trade at the deadline on a player like Miller, as long as the team is in the playoff hunt... does his value drop off significantly by the draft? If not, seems like it might be a good idea to wait it out... 

Edited by awalk

Just now, Shayster007 said:

Colorado specifically said at the time they were letting him distance from the team so he could focus on his health. I highly doubt he asked his parents to do that. If anything it was a journalist wanting to provide information for the fan base about his situation without further burdening Byram.

You can interpret it how ever you want, as can I interpret my perceived lack of compassion.

You are entitled to interpret whatever you want.  I simply interpret this to the fact you can't comprehend the difference between me being compassionate towards Byram's situation, but at the same time holding Byram to the standards of any other professional athlete.

“I think he feels, like we all do, that he has to really get to the bottom of this,” Shawn Byram told Dater. “We’re trying to research this and do our due diligence, and the Avalanche have been great. We’re happy with how he’s been treated and all that. It’s ultra-frustrating for him and it’s frustrating for us. But we’ve just got to keep trying. We have to keep having faith in the health system. We’re hoping it’s something that can be fixed. He’s seen quite a few different people. At the end of the day, we’re hoping it’s a kid playing hockey at the highest level he can.”

I really don't recall the last time I've heard a player's dad get this involved in media interactions on behalf of a player. 

That Colorado package would be enough to move, or a similar deal from the Rangers involving Schneider, a 1st, another prospect.

As for Barron vs Byram, my gut says Byram but Im also not sure where Barron is at in his development, or if he's viewed as a sure thing. Byram is an NHL player now & he'll play again imo, it's just a matter of if the injury problems linger.

Regardless anything short of those kinds of deals and we hold onto Miller until the summer imo.

You are entitled to interpret whatever you want.  I simply interpret this to the fact you can't comprehend the difference between me being compassionate towards Byram's situation, but at the same time holding Byram to the standards of any other professional athlete.

“I think he feels, like we all do, that he has to really get to the bottom of this,” Shawn Byram told Dater. “We’re trying to research this and do our due diligence, and the Avalanche have been great. We’re happy with how he’s been treated and all that. It’s ultra-frustrating for him and it’s frustrating for us. But we’ve just got to keep trying. We have to keep having faith in the health system. We’re hoping it’s something that can be fixed. He’s seen quite a few different people. At the end of the day, we’re hoping it’s a kid playing hockey at the highest level he can.”

I really don't recall the last time I've heard a player's dad get this involved in media interactions on behalf of a player. 

He's 20 and his parents are obviously his main support network. 

• Upvote 3

So the fans base getting an update while still respecting the kids personal space after taking a leave. We just simply won't agree on this.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jester13 said:

He's 20 and his parents are obviously his main support network. 

No issues there, but like I said, as a professional athlete with a multi-million dollar contract, you've gotta look and act the part.  Having dad come out to say everything YOU should have said to the media doesn't look good.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

So the fans base getting an update while still respecting the kids personal space after taking a leave. We just simply won't agree on this.

No we won't agree.  In my mind, he's a professional athlete with a multi-million dollar contract where many of us won't even see that kind of money in our lifetimes.  The least he can do is fire up Zoom on his phone and have a quick interview with the media to provide an update, rather than have dad relay the message for him.

3 minutes ago, HKSR said:

No we won't agree.  In my mind, he's a professional athlete with a multi-million dollar contract where many of us won't even see that kind of money in our lifetimes.  The least he can do is fire up Zoom on his phone and have a quick interview with the media to provide an update, rather than have dad relay the message for him.

In my mind, you don't seem to understand what a personal leave of absence and stepping away from the team to heal a head injury means.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

In my mind, you don't seem to understand what a personal leave of absence and stepping away from the team to heal a head injury means.

Nope, it's just that your standard placed on professional athletes is lower than mine.  That's all it is.

Crosby never had mom or dad talk to the media on his behalf.  And like I pointed out, very, very, very few players have ever had their mom or dad speak on their behalf.  Cody Hodgson comes to mind.  Same with Gilbert Brule.

8 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Nope, it's just that your standard placed on professional athletes is lower than mine.  That's all it is.

Crosby never had mom or dad talk to the media on his behalf.  And like I pointed out, very, very, very few players have ever had their mom or dad speak on their behalf.  Cody Hodgson comes to mind.  Same with Gilbert Brule.

Not lower, just more realistic. I have been extremely unfortunate in my career that I have actually been able to spend significant time working with professional athletes. I can see how people can view them as less than, but I still see them as humans who have human emotions and problems. I also see how for the overwhelming majority their family is their single biggest support system to be relied on.

A 20 year old allowing a journalist to interview his parents so he can continue his leave from the team unobstructed and continue healing from a career threatening head says absolutely nothing about a persons mental fortitude.

Edited by Shayster007
  • Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, HKSR said:

What about the Lindros brothers? Didn’t their dad use to speak for them all the time? Sounds to me like his concussion is causing him major issues and the Canucks should probably pass if he is offered...

• Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, HKSR said:

No issues there, but like I said, as a professional athlete with a multi-million dollar contract, you've gotta look and act the part.  Having dad come out to say everything YOU should have said to the media doesn't look good.

I think you're overthinking the situation and possibly not being sympathetic enough. He could be experiencing some serious depression that often comes with a concussion history, or speaking to the media might bring a ton of undue stress, etc. It sounds like he's really struggling through this, so his main support network speaking on his behalf might simply be just that. 

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, Podz92 said:

What about the Lindros brothers? Didn’t their dad use to speak for them all the time? Sounds to me like his concussion is causing him major issues and the Canucks should probably pass if he is offered...

Man… Brett Lindros used to black out on the bench he was so messed up.

• Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

I think you're overthinking the situation and possibly not being sympathetic enough. He could be experiencing some serious depression that often comes with a concussion history, or speaking to the media might bring a ton of undue stress, etc. It sounds like he's really struggling through this, so his main support network speaking on his behalf might simply be just that. 

I don't disagree with you at all, but that's my point though... there is a ton of risk here surrounding Byram.