The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

The more Miller plays, the more I think this man's not getting traded. We have one of the best players in the league at the moment. No return's going to make up for what we lose out of such a trade.

I know people want to think "sell high", but why? Do we not want to have a good team? We're not getting the best player out of such a deal. We'd be trading away the best player. Such players usually get traded when they NEED to go.

So I think, if anyone gets traded by the deadline, it's more likely Boeser or someone along those lines. Someone who's less impactful during the average game. This is no knock on Boeser. Boeser's just not Miller.

Edited by The Lock
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, The Lock said:

The more Miller plays, the more I think this man's not getting traded. We have one of the best players in the league at the moment. No return's going to make up for what we lose out of such a trade.

I know people want to think "sell high", but why? Do we not want to have a good team? We're not getting the best player out of such a deal. We'd be trading away the best player. Such players usually get traded when they NEED to go.

So I think, if anyone gets traded by the deadline, it's more likely Boeser or someone along those lines. Someone who's less impactful during the average game. This is no knock on Boeser. Boeser's just not Miller.

it's not really about sell high, though that's prt of it.  It's mostly about thinking he's likely not going to sign Van, so why not get the absolute most you can in for him

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, The Lock said:

I don't think it's so much about selling high (though it doesn't hurt).

Some of us are (rightly IMO) concerned about signing a 30 year old to a +/- $8.5m x 8 retirement deal, which will most likely become an increasing cap anchor just a few years from now and doesn't remotely fit our contention window. It's unfortunately, about timing more than anything.

And signing that deal also means that we both don't get assets in return to fix this teams major structural and succession issues (mostly on D) but we also don't have the cap to do so either. It's pretty much locking us in to the current not-contender team that's going to bleed quality/depth as we pay more and more money to the players who are already not good enough now.

And that's if he even wants to stay in Van!

And that's the only option if we're not trading him.

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

it's not really about sell high, though that's prt of it.  It's mostly about thinking he's likely not going to sign Van, so why not get the absolute most you can in for him

So what makes you think he won't sign in Vancouver? If we trade other assets and can afford him as a result, would that not be better?

8 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Then we get a bigger puck mover that can also hold up his end of things in his own end. No settling. Get the right pieces.

Doesn't much matter now anyways. Miller has effectively played himself off of the trade market.

Doesn't mean you still can't get that piece elsewhere, and/or can't trade Lundqvist for one. 

1 minute ago, The Lock said:

So what makes you think he won't sign in Vancouver? If we trade other assets and can afford him as a result, would that not be better?

At the same token,

What makes people think he won't RE-SIGN in Vancouver AFTER we trade him to obtain assets to make us a better team for when he returns?

Would that not be better?

• Vintage 2

1 minute ago, The Lock said:

because he's American and he doesn't seem like a guy who wnts to spend most of his career in Canada.  Because he gets to pick where he plays for the first time in his career and why wouldn't he play in a state with low taxes and take home far more money on the only truly big contract of his career.  Signing a deal for $9m in Van and sigining a deal for $9m in a low tax state isn't an equivalent deal

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

I don't think it's so much about selling high (though it doesn't hurt).

Some of us are (rightly IMO) concerned about signing a 30 year old to a +/- $8.5m x 8 retirement deal, which will most likely become an increasing cap anchor just a few years from now and doesn't remotely fit our contention window. It's unfortunately, about timing more than anything.

And signing that deal also means that we both don't get assets in return to fix this teams major structural and succession issues (mostly on D) but we also don't have the cap to do so either. It's pretty much locking us in to the current not-contender team that's going to bleed quality/depth as we pay more and more money to the players who are already not good enough now.

And that's if he even wants to stay in Van!

And that's the only option if we're not trading him.

I can understand the fear, but if we make transactions based on fear.... how is that any different than when people were freaking when Ian Clark hadn't signed until near the end of last season? People seem to want to expect the worst, and sure, it could happen.... but it doesn't mean it's going to happen.

Plus, we're hired people like a former agent for our assistant GM. We're at least giving ourselves the tools to bargain correctly.

That being said, if it's not meant to be it's not meant to be, but lets not shoot ourselves in the foot just because we think we're going to shoot ourselves in the foot. ;)

1 minute ago, stawns said:

because he's American and he doesn't seem like a guy who wnts to spend most of his career in Canada.  Because he gets to pick where he plays for the first time in his career and why wouldn't he play in a state with low taxes and take home far more money on the only truly big contract of his career.  Signing a deal for $9m in Van and sigining a deal for $9m in a low tax state isn't an equivalent deal

Okay? On what basis does being American have to do with this and what evidence do we have that points to him not wanting to spend most of his career in Canada? Do we have evidence on this or is this just a "gut feeling"?

And taxes are just a general analysis that doesn't really indicate a specific player's desires in the end.

Edited by The Lock

1 minute ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Not sure he gets moved this deadline anymore. Doesn’t appear like he will though JR and Alvin have been keeping their cards tucked close lately. 

Not sure what to expect this deadline. We’ll see. 

Yeah I don't know what to expect either. I just think it's more likely he won't be traded.

Just now, The Lock said:

Okay? On what basis does being American have to do with this and what evidence do we have that points to him not wanting to spend most of his career in Canada? Do we have evidence on this or is this just a "gut feeling"?

what basis do you have to say he is going to sign?  I think it's far more logical to assume he would rather play in his home country and take more home from his pay cheque than staying in Van, with it's high taxes and ridiculous cost of living

2 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Not sure he gets moved this deadline anymore. Doesn’t appear like he will though JR and Alvin have been keeping their cards tucked close lately. 

Not sure what to expect this deadline. We’ll see. 

if they have a realistic shot at the playoffs, I don't think he gets moved either, nor should he.  The playoffs should always be priority #1

Just now, stawns said:

what basis do you have to say he is going to sign?  I think it's far more logical to assume he would rather play in his home country and take more home from his pay cheque than staying in Van, with it's high taxes and ridiculous cost of living

I have as little basis as you have. We don't know what he's going to do in the end. We don't know his desires. So the next thing we have is what makes sense for us?

We can assume anything we want in the end. It's even possible he wants to stay in Canada. Maybe he doesn't care? Those are also just as logical to assume as him wanting to stay in the states. We don't know. Assumptions don't really provide much help here. Making a deal based on assumptions is rather dangerous in my opinion.

Also, not every player is about the money. Remember that we've had players in this league who've packed up and left leaving millions of dollars on the table. We've had players taking discounts while we've also had players asking for as much money as possible. We've seen the entire spectrum of what could be in this league.

Yet, we don't know where Miller stands in all of this. We don't know what he wants. So I guess my argument is lets not assume things. There's no point in it other than to have fun making trade proposals, which is fine in itself, but no point in assuming it's going to happen either.

4 minutes ago, The Lock said:

I have as little basis as you have. We don't know what he's going to do in the end. We don't know his desires. So the next thing we have is what makes sense for us?

We can assume anything we want in the end. It's even possible he wants to stay in Canada. Maybe he doesn't care? Those are also just as logical to assume as him wanting to stay in the states. We don't know. Assumptions don't really provide much help here. Making a deal based on assumptions is rather dangerous in my opinion.

Also, not every player is about the money. Remember that we've had players in this league who've packed up and left leaving millions of dollars on the table. We've had players taking discounts while we've also had players asking for as much money as possible. We've seen the entire spectrum of what could be in this league.

Yet, we don't know where Miller stands in all of this. We don't know what he wants. So I guess my argument is lets not assume things. There's no point in it other than to have fun making trade proposals, which is fine in itself, but no point in assuming it's going to happen either.

people always say this and it almost never ever works out that way.........they are absolutely about the money forst and foremost.  Miller is going to get paid and get paid like an elite player and  I don't want my team saddled with a $9m cap hit for a player in his late 30's.

Edited by stawns

6 minutes ago, stawns said:

people always say this and it almost never ever works out that way.  They are absolutely about the money forst and foremost.  Miller is going to get paid and get paid like an elite player.  I don't want my team saddled with a $9m cap hit for a player in his late 30's.

But again, we don't know if this is going to happen.

Let me ask you this: if we were a stanley up contender before Miller reaches his late 30's with Miller on the team, would it be worth it to you then? What's the ultimate goal here?

Edited by The Lock