The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

2 minutes ago, J-P said:

Either a player who makes the difference offensively more or less every game or someone who's just the best player on both ends of the ice (Bergeron, Zetterberg, O'Reilly etc).

The bubble playoffs gave an indication of the difference between EP/Horvat/Miller in this regard although all three had a really good playoffs and EP was still a bit too young and raw at that time (while still being the best of the three).

EP has been better the second half of the season, but still nowhere near where we need him to be imo and not close to his first two seasons.

But isn't that what Miller has been for us? its only 17 game sample, but he has 18 pts. Bo has 11 goals in 23 playoff games. Put that together with Petey hitting his prime and we have excellent C depth for the playoffs. 

If we're able to run 3 lines with Miller, Bo, Petey as C's for the playoffs its going to be very hard to defend against. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JM_ said:

it is. Is he likely to extend at that number, or want a raise? thats a tough place to begin from.

If Petey is the player we all know he is then a long term deal at 8.5 to 9 per is a very good deal for a number one center who is great with and without the puck.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Alflives said:

If Petey is the player we all know he is then a long term deal at 8.5 to 9 per is a very good deal for a number one center who is great with and without the puck.

for sure, its just one of the considerations that needs to be thought about moving forward. Boeser looked like a sure thing not so long ago too. Say we do move Miller, and Petey doesn't improve or regresses. Yikes. 

Anyway, for me at least I haven't seen a plan that isn't fraught with risk if we start shedding C depth. 

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

Yeah. I don't tend to waste my time when people are trolling.

Teams will make room for good players. Or did I just imagine the Eichel trade?

The only person that’s trolling is you with your fantasy trade proposals for Miller. You can’t even answer a simple question as to which team is actually going to trade for Miller, what they are going to give up in return and how they are going to fit him under the cap. 

If you could make up an actual trade proposal that makes sense for both teams then I think you might get more people on board with your “Miller needs to be traded cause he doesn’t fit our window” narrative. 

2 hours ago, mll said:

Or pay to again try and move Dadonov - likely going to cost them significantly more now.  Guess need to wait till next season to know if that trade really made them better.

I think Buffalo won that trade. Eichel isn’t worth anything near $10 million so just getting rid of that contract was a win. Tuch is a very good and very underrated player. I’d love to have him on Vancouver. 

13 minutes ago, JM_ said:

for sure, its just one of the considerations that needs to be thought about moving forward. Boeser looked like a sure thing not so long ago too. Say we do move Miller, and Petey doesn't improve or regresses. Yikes. 

Anyway, for me at least I haven't seen a plan that isn't fraught with risk if we start shedding C depth. 

Far more likely Miller will regress (into his 30's) than Petey does over the next few seasons.  

Do we want to allocate 8.5 on the Cap (in a couple years when Petey is ready for his next contract) to Miller or to Petey?  I'm thinking Petey.  

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I think Buffalo won that trade. Eichel isn’t worth anything near $10 million so just getting rid of that contract was a win. Tuch is a very good and very underrated player. I’d love to have him on Vancouver. 

That and Eichel is a room buster.  

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, JM_ said:

But isn't that what Miller has been for us? its only 17 game sample, but he has 18 pts. Bo has 11 goals in 23 playoff games. Put that together with Petey hitting his prime and we have excellent C depth for the playoffs. 

If we're able to run 3 lines with Miller, Bo, Petey as C's for the playoffs its going to be very hard to defend against. 

Exactly. We have the best 1-2-3 centre punch in the entire NHL. The plan should be to free up cap space by getting rid of Boeser, Myers, Dickinson and even Garland in order to sign Miller long term and add some help on defence. We have young wingers like Karlsson and Klimovich who can step up in a year or two and fill the gap on the wing. I’d go hard to sign Kuzmenko in the summer as a free agent. He’s already 26 so he can help us right away. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Far more likely Miller will regress (into his 30's) than Petey does over the next few seasons.  

Do we want to allocate 8.5 on the Cap (in a couple years when Petey is ready for his next contract) to Miller or to Petey?  I'm thinking Petey.  

I don't think we have to make that either/or, I think we can have both. 

We're finally getting something close to elite C depth, and people want to trade it. Look how hard its been just to try to replace Sutter. 

Lets improve by shedding wingers (Garland, Boeser) and moving as many of Peason, Dickie, Poolman, and maybe even Myers (if we can upgrade with Manson, e.g.) as we can. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Not to memtion Krebs is gonna be a player, that 1st round pick is looking to be around #16 at the moment (doubt buffalo saw the pick being that low) and a 2nd round pick in next year's draft has good value.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Exactly. We have the best 1-2-3 centre punch in the entire NHL. The plan should be to free up cap space by getting rid of Boeser, Myers, Dickinson and even Garland in order to sign Miller long term and add some help on defence. We have young wingers like Karlsson and Klimovich who can step up in a year or two and fill the gap on the wing. I’d go hard to sign Kuzmenko in the summer as a free agent. He’s already 26 so he can help us right away. 

yup. Its so hard for teams to create real C depth, I think some folks forget that. 

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Petey is 10x the player Eichel is. If we can lock him up long term to $9 million that would be a real coup for us. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

39 minutes ago, JM_ said:

I don't think we have to make that either/or, I think we can have both. 

We're finally getting something close to elite C depth, and people want to trade it. Look how hard its been just to try to replace Sutter. 

Lets improve by shedding wingers (Garland, Boeser) and moving as many of Peason, Dickie, Poolman, and maybe even Myers (if we can upgrade with Manson, e.g.) as we can. 

so Miller (8.5) Petey (8.5) and Bo (7).  And 1 mil for the fourth line guy.  25 million on our centers?

3 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

Um, I never suggested that we extend JTM or not.
I just don’t want to help Vegas out of their issues, Theodore is a Hell of a player that is in an area of desperate need and is a perfect age at 26. If they sweetened the pot enough I could get over the bitter taste of helping them to get him. 

Wasn't referring to you. Or sending Vegas Miller Miller for that matter. Separate transactions.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, HKSR said:

What?  Where are these rumours you speak of?  Moving Theodore to make room for Hague is like the Canucks moving Hughes anticipating that Rathbone will replace him.  I call BS on that rumour.

Been all over Vegas news reports.

3 hours ago, JM_ said:

if it doesn't, then we need a complete teardown anyway 

And if that happens, wouldn't it be nice to have the younger trade assets from moving Miller, the cap space to take cap/buy assets and not have an albatross contact on the books... Hmmm

2 hours ago, JM_ said:

I bring it up because its right when the so-called step back plan is supposed to be blossoming. Its a big issue coming up right at that time. 

Just one in the very long list of reasons to not extend Miller... Need to have money to support and extend the young core.

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The only person that’s trolling is you with your fantasy trade proposals for Miller. You can’t even answer a simple question as to which team is actually going to trade for Miller, what they are going to give up in return and how they are going to fit him under the cap. 

If you could make up an actual trade proposal that makes sense for both teams then I think you might get more people on board with your “Miller needs to be traded cause he doesn’t fit our window” narrative. 

:bored:

15 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I can't find a single article on it.  Can you?

Literally the first article that came up when I googled it... Jesus you guys lol

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thehockeynews.com/.amp/news/how-will-the-golden-knights-manage-the-salary-cap-in-the-long-run

"Shea Theodore is excellent, but Alec Martinez has a no-trade clause and Alex Pietrangelo has a no-move clause, so Theodore (unfortunately) may be the odd-man out, especially if the Knights commit to Hague and think he can bring offense with his heavy shot. "

Fwiw, I'd happily take Hague for cheap as well if they don't want to give up Theodore :lol: probably not as good of a player (though that's debatable long term) but arguably a better fit for our needs. And cheaper.

Edited by aGENT
  • Upvote 1

Just now, aGENT said:

Literally the first article that came up when I googled it... Jesus you guys lol

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thehockeynews.com/.amp/news/how-will-the-golden-knights-manage-the-salary-cap-in-the-long-run

"Shea Theodore is excellent, but Alec Martinez has a no-trade clause and Alex Pietrangelo has a no-move clause, so Theodore (unfortunately) may be the odd-man out, especially if the Knights commit to Hague and think he can bring offense with his heavy shot. "

That's as speculative as it gets lmao.  There's no substance to it at all. 

First of all, the guy doesn't even realize that Martinez has a modified NTC.  Not a full NTC.  By this offseason, Martinez can be moved to 20 teams in the league and have no say about it. 

And then he follows up with the fact Hague has a heavy shot, so that can replace Theodore :picard:

You gotta admit, that's a REALLY weak argument to move one of the premiere young defencemen in the entire league ROFL.

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

That's as speculative as it gets lmao.  There's no substance to it at all. 

First of all, the guy doesn't even realize that Martinez has a modified NTC.  Not a full NTC.  By this offseason, Martinez can be moved to 20 teams in the league and have no say about it. 

And then he follows up with the fact Hague has a heavy shot, so that can replace Theodore :picard:

You gotta admit, that's a REALLY weak argument to move one of the premiere young defencemen in the entire league ROFL.

moving-goalpost.gif

• Upvote 1