The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

6 minutes ago, JM_ said:

I'm not sure how seriously I take that 2 year number, seems like most GMs throw that one out there. 

If everyone other than Demko really is on the table, that to me seems more akin to a tear down. 

Who would we buy out that makes sense?

I agree that's the default answer, but in this case don't you think JR would have chosen his words carefully and said what he meant. New guy coming into a market, hired to take us from the bottom to the top. A guy who has previously constructed cup teams. I have been taking JRs words as law so far, at a least until he gives us reason to do other wise.

54 minutes ago, JM_ said:

its a weird draft year tho and apparently Philly thinks its closer to a win now position. Miller would be a great piece for them. Its really one of the only trade ideas I've seen that might bring good value back for us and Miller goes to a team that really needs him.

Philly's top player this season, after trading Giroux at the deadline, is Atkinson with 50 pts in 73 games. Philly is not in win now mode. They have way more holes on their team than we do. 

:lol:

1 minute ago, JM_ said:

I would think a pick, given the salary coming back our way already. 

I really like IP and I think he'd be a great fit in Van, but I don't see his value and Miller's as that close........would there be a bigger deal there somewhere?  I wouldn't say no to Laughton involved as a 3C in Van either.

Miller

Dickenson

Woo

Provorov

Laughton

1st

1 minute ago, Baggins said:

Philly's top player this season, after trading Giroux at the deadline, is Atkinson with 50 pts in 73 games. Philly is not in win now mode. They have way more holes on their team than we do. 

well, they still seem to be in the market for a new top C if the Kadri rumours are correct. 

1 minute ago, stawns said:

I really like IP and I think he'd be a great fit in Van, but I don't see his value and Miller's as that close........would there be a bigger deal there somewhere?  I wouldn't say no to Laughton involved as a 3C in Van either.

Miller

Dickenson

Woo

Provorov

Laughton

1st

yep there's an actual hockey trade. Some great now pieces and some magic beans for later. 

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Baggins said:

Agreed, but they'll be looking for a superstar to replace Giroux........Miller would fit that mold perfectly.

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

What if we traded Miller to Philly for Provorov, and Quinn to Jersey for a boatload?

Maybe that’s more of a retool scenario? 

man it would suck to lose Quinn. Its certainly a retool though. Who would you want coming our way?

1 minute ago, JM_ said:

yep there's an actual hockey trade. Some great now pieces and some magic beans for later. 

It definitely would being some balance.  Laughton isn't much for offence, but he's a decent f/o guy and a very versatile bottom 6 player.  Though the flyers pk hasn't been good, he's their main pk'er and their lack of success is more "team" than one guy.

• Vintage 1

12 minutes ago, JM_ said:

man it would suck to lose Quinn. Its certainly a retool though. Who would you want coming our way?

No idea who specifically.  But would expect:

Young roster player (Heischer?)

Young D (Bahl?)

2022 1st or 2023 first.

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

No idea who specifically.  But would expect:

Young roster player (Heischer?)

Young D (Bahl?)

2022 1st or 2023 first.

not nearly enough. I'd want 2022 1st, 2023 1st unprotected, 2022 and 2023 2nds,  Severson, Bahl, Graves, Nolan Foote. 

We'd be handing them one of the most exciting combo of brothers in NHL history, it has to sting. 

21 minutes ago, JM_ said:

I don't want to see Hughes gone, but trading three players in Miller, Hughes And Boeser would completely reshape the lineup.

Miller brings in a top pairing RHD, a 1st and a solid bottom 6 fwd 

Boeser brings in a good 3c and a depth dman

Hughes brings in a blue chip scoring winger who is ready to step in, a solid depth fwd and a 1st

You lose 3 roster players and bring in 6 roster players and two first round picks, one of which (Hughes) would likely be a high pick.

Worth it?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JM_ said:

not nearly enough. I'd want 2022 1st, 2023 1st unprotected, 2022 and 2023 2nds,  Severson, Bahl, Graves, Nolan Foote. 

We'd be handing them one of the most exciting combo of brothers in NHL history, it has to sting. 

The more the return the better.  And Jersey would pay through the roof to get all three brothers together.  

Trading Quinn might be the only move we need to make if the return is what you suggest?

It checks all the boxes.

10 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

What if the main piece was a top prospect or top 5 pick?

8 hours ago, Baggins said:

A team with a top 5 pick isn't taking Miller. Those in the top 5 are rebuilding, not looking for older players. So unless you're willing to roll the dice on an upgrade moving Petey or Hughes give up the notion of a top 5 pick. They may have interest in Boeser, but he's not getting a top 5 pick. As to "top prospect" you'd need to define that. As I said, at this point the primary piece should be a young NHL player,  

I like @JM_'s Philly idea. A Konecny/Provorov/Sanheim and their 5th OA would be a good return and Philly might be desperate enough to pull out of the funk they've been in the last couple years.

8 hours ago, shiznak said:

I think a lot of people (at least for me) who are on the “trade Miller train”, would be okay signing him to a mega deal (58m+, long term), if the team didn’t already have a player in his thirties making 50m, who has five more years left on his current contract, after this season.

Having two players in their thirties taking that amount of cap spaces, limits the team’s flexibility for future additions, when the team is actually ready to compete for the cup.

Nope. D peak later, last longer and I have little issue with OEL. I think his end of season performance here is closer to what we see moving forward, now that he's comfortable/adapted, and I'd wager his contract is only a minor annoyance in the last year, maybe two. Miller's contract that would take him from 1-3 years older, depending on term, on forwards to tend to regress 2 years earlier, and harder has all sorts of "albatross" warning signs in comparison.

50 minutes ago, JM_ said:

I'm not sure how seriously I take that 2 year number, seems like most GMs throw that one out there. 

If everyone other than Demko really is on the table, that to me seems more akin to a tear down. 

Who would we buy out that makes sense?

1 hour ago, JM_ said:

huh. Well maybe we are looking at a significant tear down. 

I think a Dickinson buyout isn't too painful. Perhaps Poolman as well, if we can't find takers like Ottawa with Hamonic that is. So there's a couple potentials. Otherwise, just because Demko is the only "safe" one, doesn't mean it's likely we'll be moving guys like Petey, Hughes or Horvat. Sure, if someone wants to overpay, we'll look at it but I'd imagine the guys we'd all consider to be good "building blocks", would be hard pressed to be moved.

But as I eluded to last page in my discussion with Baggins, this team, as constructed, is not a contender and won't be a contender in a couple years, without some sizeable moves.

We're overly reliant on Demko, lack size, grit and quality PK'ers (F and D), need a quality 3C and our RD is poorly constructed with impending succession issues very soon.

This was never going to be just tinkering around the margins.

Edited by aGENT

17 minutes ago, JM_ said:

Hischier is producing at just below a 0.9 ppg pace while taking on the toughest matchups and playing a responsible 200ft game.  Creates a significant void in their lineup which would overshadow the benefit of adding Hughes.  They also already have Hamilton at 9M.  Don't see how a trade can work between both teams + Vancouver will want NJD to gut their lineup/prospect pool ensuring that they will just spin their wheels.  

28 minutes ago, JM_ said:

for me, anything involving Hughes to the Devils starts with Holtz and builds from there.

58 minutes ago, Baggins said:

Dave Scott is CEO of Comcast Spectacor who owns the Flyers.   Fletcher is under tremendous pressure to make the playoffs next season.

26 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I like @JM_'s Philly idea. A Konecny/Provorov/Sanheim and their 5th OA would be a good return and Philly might be desperate enough to pull out of the funk they've been in the last couple years.

Nope. D peak later, last longer and I have little issue with OEL. I think his end of season performance here is closer to what we see moving forward, now that he's comfortable/adapted, and I'd wager his contract is only a minor annoyance in the last year, maybe two. Miller's contract that would take him from 1-3 years older, depending on term, on forwards to tend to regress 2 years earlier, and harder has all sorts of "albatross" warning signs in comparison.

I think a Dickinson buyout isn't too painful. Perhaps Poolman as well, if we can't find takers like Ottawa with Hamonic that is. So there's a couple potentials. Otherwise, just because Demko is the only "safe" one, doesn't mean it's likely we'll be moving guys like Petey, Hughes or Horvat. Sure, if someone wants to overpay, we'll look at it but I'd imagine the guys we'd all consider to be good "building blocks", would be hard pressed to be moved.

But as I eluded to last page in my discussion with Baggins, this team, as constructed, is not a contender and won't be a contender in a couple years, without some sizeable moves.

We're overly reliant on Demko, lack size, grit and quality PK'ers (F and D), need a quality 3C and our RD is poorly constructed with impending succession issues very soon.

This was never going to be just tinkering around the margins.

Hard no on any kind of buyouts.  Adding long term dead cap is simply not acceptable.

• Vintage 1