The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

2 hours ago, SilentSam said:

I’d say , see what you can bring in by trading other lower assets around him.

He will still be worth the Fantasy treasure chest at the end of next season.

Miller is one to build our strengths around.. it’s real, and it exists.

He leads far more with example than anyone on the team,.   That alone is hard to find.

He'll lose significant value after this td.  It'd be the difference in a prospect, imo.  This deadline he can probably fetch an A prospect, a B prospect and a high pick.

Next year probably a B+ prospect and high pick.

14 minutes ago, aGENT said:

My "fantasies" are all based on actual facts and historical trends. Ages of our young, core players. Historical trends/ages of players at their peak/in their prime. Historical trends/ages of players declining. Contract comparables of what we should expect Miller's extension to look like etc, etc.

Your opinions are based on straw men arguments no one made, about players falling off a cliff the second they hit 30. And moving Miller solely for picks.

It's pretty clear whose posts are actually in the realm of fantasy here.

Not to mention taking a huge discount to resign in Van because it's been such an amazing experience for him so far.

6 minutes ago, stawns said:

He'll lose significant value after this td.  It'd be the difference in a prospect, imo.  This deadline he can probably fetch an A prospect, a B prospect and a high pick.

Next year probably a B+ prospect and high pick.

But his tenure with the Canucks for another year might create an A prospect or more.

I think his and Garlands tenacity has been influencing a lot of younger players with us that would not have been by Horvat and Miller.

A refreshed Motte, Lamikko turning a corner, Podz and Hogz getting grittier, ..

there is more than just stats at stake if he is moved.

9 minutes ago, Steven Stamkos said:

His value would be at an all time high at this TDL. 

The last time we had leadership in this form was with Stan Smyl…. It was his tutoring of Linden that bright out the best in him an many others Stan played with.

I see that same lineage of Smyl , in Miller , ..

I have not seen it on this club since his days.

It’s not just what happens on the ice with Miller that counts..  it’s how his character resonates and becomes reflective and impressionable to others.

To dismiss that is leaving a void we had prior to his arrival..  and a step back into mediocrity.

Its that type of character trait every team needs..   and this group is only just starting to thrive on and replicate it.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, Steven Stamkos said:

Trevor Linden also gave us Todd Bertuzzi and Brian McCabe which was a key piece to landing the Sedin twins. Miller is one of my favourite players on this team but if you get an offer you cannot refuse, you take the deal. 

Try it with Horvat or Boeser then.

we did not trade Smyl away..

Lindens game was declining at that time and it was thought a jump start might happen elsewhere.. amongst everything else (Messier)

i beleive this group is 2 key pieces away from cup contending hockey.

a  .75 ppg power forward and a gritty snarly physically skillful D man.

Horvat or Boeser will get us closer to that without losing “room presence”…

Miller gone will be a greater loss for that .

Edited by SilentSam
  • Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

8-9 mil is fine boys.

move someone else,   I’m sure in your fine mind of analyzing everything you can dream that up too.

So why do you think he'd re-up in Vancouver?  I'm not baiting you, I'm asking honestly.

Just now, stawns said:

So why do you think he'd re-up in Vancouver?  I'm not baiting you, I'm asking honestly.

Perhaps he likes the young core he is impressionable with ,.   Leaders thrive on their own game getting better because their impressionable work is received and mimicked by them..  as a mentor , your own game rises because it’s supported by the work of others..  yin Yang.

If he wants to stay,  it will be because he has a bigger stake in his role.… and not just walking into a room full of top dog alphas to win a cup.

Id like to think the journey is a bigger part of any prize,.  I’d like to think that if Miller stays, that is why.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

14 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Try it with Horvat or Boeser then.

we did not trade Smyl away..

Lindens game was declining at that time and it was thought a jump start might happen elsewhere.. amongst everything else (Messier)

i beleive this group is 2 key pieces away from cup contending hockey.

a  .75 ppg power forward and a gritty snarly physically skillful D man.

Horvat or Boeser will get us closer to that without losing “room presence”…

Miller gone will be a greater loss for that .

Team still has control over Boeser and Miller will be able to fetch significantly more in a trade. Both players are also younger. 

Did not trade Smyl away, probably should have. Nucks were bottom feeders in the late 80s. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Perhaps Boeser can help move Klingberg out of Dallas.

don’t really see how Klingberg fits JR’s mantra of getting younger. 

I would also rather trade Brock for a RHD of equal age - someone like John Marino out of Pitts possibly, who’s also 24 yo, RHD. 

• Cheers 2

i Know it would be in our division and I hate them with a passion but Calgary needs a centre like Miller real bad and they only have a small Gaudreau window. Miller and a 3rd for Monahan(to make cap work) Coronato and a !st. We would have two firsts next year and a developing scoring winger

54 minutes ago, Steven Stamkos said:

Team still has control over Boeser and Miller will be able to fetch significantly more in a trade. Both players are also younger. 

Did not trade Smyl away, probably should have. Nucks were bottom feeders in the late 80s. 

I don’t think you saw Stan play or his career.

This is a man who bleeds Vancouver,. Starting as a young man with the New Westminster Bruins..  

he is to Vancouver what Yzerman was to Detroit.  

• Cheers 1

35 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

I don’t think you saw Stan play or his career.

This is a man who bleeds Vancouver,. Starting as a young man with the New Westminster Bruins..  

he is to Vancouver what Yzerman was to Detroit.  

That’s quite an exaggeration and almost an insult to Stevie Y. Yzerman is the longest serving captain of all time, hall of famer, has three cups, and is top ten in points and goals. Yzerman brought way more to the his franchise than Smyl ever did. Just because both are heart and soul players doesn’t mean they are anything alike. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Steven Stamkos said:

That’s quite an exaggeration and almost an insult to Stevie Y. Yzerman is the longest serving captain of all time, hall of famer, has three cups, and is top ten in points and goals. Yzerman brought way more to the his franchise than Smyl ever did. Just because both are heart and soul players doesn’t mean they are anything alike. 

It wasn’t meant as a literal comparison, mainly heart and soul leader comparable with longevity with one franchise. Right down to the executive role history with the franchise. 

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1