The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

37 minutes ago, Provost said:

How many PPG top line centres who aren’t just rentals get traded at the deadline?

Far lesser players get a grade A prospect and a 1st round pick.

Yeah but we are talking about 20 year old top 5 picks that are playing in the NHL. Would you trade 20 year old Quinn Hughes and Podkolzin for Kutznetsov if we were a contender? 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

I mean I love the optimism but a cup in three years?

I hope you’re right but I don’t see it.

This team won’t be able to squeeze Miller in at an 8 million dollar cap hit. That’s too much for a guy that might not be an impact player by that point.

We have too many holes in the roster to not sell high on a vet like him. This is what fans b$tch and moan about every deadline. Now we have a player who’s value is to the moon and we wanna hold onto him? Makes no sense.

We know he’s an impact player. He and Horvat are as impact as the Canucks have.

Sure Pettersson scores when he’s on and boy is Boeser a beauty as well. But Miller has all the skills and determination in the world to make it as a total legend.

He’s the guy that JUST DIDN’T take a penalty, now sitting on the bench, commentators talking about his focus, as Miller stares at the Cup as if it were in front of him.

He’s that guy.

Edited by Me_

Just now, Bure_Pavel said:

Yeah but we are talking about 20 year old top 5 picks that are playing in the NHL. Would you trade 20 year old Quinn Hughes and Podkolzin for Kutznetsov if we were a contender? 

Kakko or Laffy haven’t really been as impactful as Hughes. 

I don’t think they trade them but I would ask for sure given their value probably won’t be any lower than it currently is moving forward. 

3 minutes ago, Screw said:

During a Monday appearance on Sportsnet's 650, Daily Faceoff's Frank Seravalli reported the Boston Bruins, Calgary Flames, Minnesota Wild and New York Rangers expressed interest in Miller. Because he's signed through 2022-23, Seravalli felt that extra year could fetch the Canucks more than a first-round pick and a high-end prospect. TSN's Pierre LeBrun believes they'd listen if someone offered up three or four prospects.

Lol Calgary.

No one wants Zary or Corranato. And definitely not to trade him within the division.

New York and Minnesota are the only teams with the assets to get it done.

JR needs to stick to his guns and only

take a deal that gets us a good young player, a blue chip prospect, and a 1st.

From New York it starts with Lafreniere or Kakko, Schnieder or Kravstov, and a 1st.

From Minnesota it’s Boldy, Rossi, and a 1st.

Rutherford has no reason to take less than that. If teams don’t wanna pay you hold onto him.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Me_ said:

We know he’s an impact player. He and Horvat are as impact as the Canucks have.

Sure Pettersson scores when he’s on and boy is Boeser a beauty as well. But Miller all the skills and determination in the world.

He’s the guy that JUST DIDN’T take a penalty, now sitting on the bench, commentators talking about his focus, as Miller stares at the Cup as if it were in front of him.

He’s that guy.

He’s that guy now.

Is he that guy in three years and beyond? That’s what you gotta be sure of if you’re going to re-sign him to a fat contract.

We need to be giving big contracts to 24-25 year olds not 30 year olds. That’s not the timeline this team should be looking at.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Kakko or Laffy haven’t really been as impactful as Hughes. 

I don’t think they trade them but I would ask for sure given their value probably won’t be any lower than it currently is moving forward. 

They are highly touted 1st overall and second overall picks. Still have tons of value. One dominated Liga and the other the QMJHL, just haven't figured out the NHL level yet.  

4 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

If Kuznetsov were a bit younger and some millions cheaper it could be Podz and Hogs and a first. 

Just now, DeNiro said:

Lol Calgary.

No one wants Zary or Corranato. And definitely not to trade him within the division.

New York and Minnesota are the only teams with the assets to get it done.

JR needs to stick to his guns and only

take a deal that gets us a good young player, a blue chip prospect, and a 1st.

From New York it starts with Lafreniere or Kakko, Schnieder or Kravstov, and a 1st.

From Minnesota it’s Boldy, Rossi, and a 1st.

Rutherford has no reason to take less than that. If teams don’t wanna pay you hold onto him.

I don’t think Wild are a suitable partner. They have assets but aren’t really in a position to trade them like the Rags are. 

Flames would seriously have to overpay. Don’t really have the assets to do that. 

I wonder about the Avs now. 

1 minute ago, Bure_Pavel said:

They are highly touted 1st overall and second overall picks. Still have tons of value. One dominated Liga and the other the QMJHL, just haven't figured out the NHL level yet.  

Hence why their value won’t be any lower. They haven’t broke out yet. 

Like I said I don’t think they trade them considering they have the assets to trade for Miller without losing them but I would definitely ask all things considered. 

2 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I don’t think Wild are a suitable partner. They have assets but aren’t really in a position to trade them like the Rags are. 

Flames would seriously have to overpay. Don’t really have the assets to do that. 

I wonder about the Avs now. 

Newhook, Byram, and a 1st from the Avs.

Retention on Miller and Motte if that’s what it takes.

Those are the only prices JR needs to be looking at though.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Hence why their value won’t be any lower. They haven’t broke out yet. 

Like I said I don’t think they trade them considering they have the assets to trade for Miller without losing them but I would definitely ask all things considered. 

Yeah my point is if you are getting a recent top 5 pick back, we shouldnt expect a 1st or another top prospect back with him.  

2 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Yeah more realistic than elite prospects like Kakko, Laffy, or Byram. Teams are hesitant to move they type of players after only 2 years. 

Kakko is underperforming and the thought is the Rags may be willing to move on from him or Lafreniere.

The Rangers window is wide open right now. They’re a team that has no problem paying big to get a player they want.

Miller makes them the favourite in the East. Laffy and Kakko are years away from being impact players if they even reach that level.

Just now, DeNiro said:

Newhook, Byram, and a 1st from the Avs.

Retention on Miller and Motte if that’s what it takes.

Those are the only prices JR needs to be looking at though.

I think if we trade Miller we can retain Motte. 

Not sure the Ava bite on that. They aren’t as desperate and Newhook, Bryan are making an impact on the roster. 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Zero chance they even look at that, Sakic is a smart guy. 

A smart guy who’s team needs to get over the hump in the playoffs.

If they’re not willing to let a guy like Newhook go they’re not getting a player like Miller, plain and simple.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I think if we trade Miller we can retain Motte. 

Not sure the Ava bite on that. They aren’t as desperate and Newhook, Bryan are making an impact on the roster. 

They want our best player they’re not getting him for scraps.

They need to at minimum include two good young players. Newhook is going to get buried in Colorado. And Byram may not be able to even have a long NHL career with his concussion issues.

At some point the Avs are gonna have to go all in. That’s the cost of doing that.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2