The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Can this roster get into the playoffs, and possibly do some damage?  (Trading Miller for a RD+)

Podkolzin - Pettersson - Boeser

Kuzmenko - Horvat - Garland

Hoglander - Dickinson - Mikheyev

Pearson - Lazar - Lockwood

Joshua

OEL - ??

Hughes - Schenn

Dermott - Myers

Rathbone - Poolman

Burroughs

Demko

Martin

We look pretty mediocre down the middle after Petey and Bo. 

Dickinson supposedly a shut down centre needed Horvat to take over shut down duties earlier in the season. Would feel more comfortable with an Aston-Reese in his spot. 

The D pretty much looks the same and for a team that struggled with zone exits outside Hughes it doesn’t bode well. 

That said, I do think we can sneak in with that roster depending on the impact of Kuzmenko and our young guns taking steps forward. 

2 minutes ago, PLOGUE said:

I think there a lot of naysayers on this site when it comes to what you can get for a 100pt, face-off winning, grit centre with bite.  

O'Reilly trade brought in 3 roster players, a 1st & a 2nd. 

Fiala went for a 1st & a top prospect.

Eichel went for a ton, better player but incredible risk with his neck.

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a 1st, Top prospect and either a 2nd line forward or top 4 defenseman for JT.  Either that or a top 2 Dman & a 1st and a 1 year contract to balance the money.

It becomes unreasonable when no team is willing to pay that price for whatever reason.

• Cheers 1

Its understood that JR doesn’t have to wait to just before the TD next year to make a deal for Miller right?  Another team could have a major injury or work to trade off cap space during the season to make room. In some ways, if a trade is inevitable, it would be less damaging to team morale, and we’d get more back, if it were done way before the TD. This is all possible. If and when JR gets an offer he can’t refuse he’s going to jump on it

2 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

I don't see that first part happening. We missed the playoffs last year. But this year we're banking on having enough pts by TDL that we can ship out our top forward and coast into the show. 

Very unlikely.

We missed the playoffs because of a pathetic start.

We easily make it with Boudreau coaching all season. 

The division got weaker, you don’t necessarily have to finish with a hundred points to make it.

The idea would be that guys like Boeser and Pettersson have great bounce back seasons and young guys like Podkolzin and Hoglander step up and take the next step. And the additions of Kuzmenko and Mikayev help offset the production from Miller. Really not that far fetched.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

Lmao then just blow up the team and rebuild then if that’s ur take. Miller on most team that he’s being proposed to ain’t even going to be the top line center for that team. 

Then blow the mofo up..miller horvat and oel can all go..

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, R3aL said:

Hoenstly I can’t think of one example in nhl history where a playoff contending team (projecting to make playoffs) at the deadline trades their top 1/2 scorer / forward.

I know JR said he would but I just can’t even imagine it.

I’m sure they acquired another player of similar caliber or a top young player if it did happen.

Not saying that will happen but it’s definitely an option that isn’t the end of the world. I don’t think JR is just saying it either.

11 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I’m sure they acquired another player of similar caliber or a top young player if it did happen.

Not saying that will happen but it’s definitely an option that isn’t the end of the world. I don’t think JR is just saying it either.

Unlikely. His value will be shrinking as months go buy. Between the possibility of injury, the good chance that last year was a career year and his totals this year will be lower, the closer he will get to free agency, and the fact that most teams are going to be at the cap means our returns will dwindle the closer we get to the TDL. My opinion anyway.

19 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

The division got weaker, you don’t necessarily have to finish with a hundred points to make it.

The idea would be that guys like Boeser and Pettersson have great bounce back seasons and young guys like Podkolzin and Hoglander step up and take the next step. And the additions of Kuzmenko and Mikayev help offset the production from Miller. Really not that far fetched.

No ifs no buts no coconuts 

3 minutes ago, NorthWestNuck said:

Unlikely. His value will be shrinking as months go buy. Between the possibility of injury, the good chance that last year was a career year and his totals this year will be lower, the closer he will get to free agency, and the fact that most teams are going to be at the cap means our returns will dwindle the closer we get to the TDL. My opinion anyway.

Well his value isn’t all that high right now anyways it would appear. At least not anywhere close to what fans had hoped.

Value always goes up closer to the deadline we see it every year. We’d easily be able to get a top prospect and a 1st. Teams are more willing to part with those pieces at the deadline than at the draft.

Any contending team would be able to fit him in much easier at the deadline especially if we retain. I’m really not worried about his value decreasing, every top team will want him even if he isn’t at a 100 point pace.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BlakeQuinnAndEggs said:

I see Myers proposals lots.

We need more RHD, not less.

Also with the cap going up, and comparing to other contracts around the league, his contract isn't even that bad anymore.

If we could pry Josh Manson out of Colorado I'd be happy. They need to make room for Kadri.

We also need top 4 RHD who can play with our top 4 LHD and don't neuter their (, superior) offense, and a succession plan for replacing Myers in the next couple years anyway.

I never said his contract was bad.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PLOGUE said:

I think there a lot of naysayers on this site when it comes to what you can get for a 100pt, face-off winning, grit centre with bite.  

O'Reilly trade brought in 3 roster players, a 1st & a 2nd. 

Fiala went for a 1st & a top prospect.

Eichel went for a ton, better player but incredible risk with his neck.

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a 1st, Top prospect and either a 2nd line forward or top 4 defenseman for JT.  Either that or a top 2 Dman & a 1st and a 1 year contract to balance the money.

We would have been more likely to get that return if the other team had him for this year’s playoffs and the coming year/playoffs. But if he’s simply a rental for the 2023 playoffs, we’re not getting much as there’s no guarantee he re-signs with the acquiring team. I think we need to trade him before the new season starts. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, steviewonder20 said:

We would have been more likely to get that return if the other team had him for this year’s playoffs and the coming year/playoffs. But if he’s simply a rental for the 2023 playoffs, we’re not getting much as there’s no guarantee he re-signs with the acquiring team. I think we need to trade him before the new season starts. 

Yeah, I mean when have GM's ever paid serious assets for good players on expiring deals....?

Oh, right.... That happens EVERY TDL :lol:

• Vintage 1

45 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Only caveat is if the spark from the coaching change is what had this team playing to or above potential. This season will hopefully be proof that they weren’t just riding a high from Green’s departure. 

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, steviewonder20 said:

100% agree.  And add to your points that JR clearly (as evidenced by what he says and the Mikheyev signing) doesn’t want to take a step back.  So a TDL Trade will definitely be a step back because it will be futures.  An off-season Trade will be 23-27 year old guys who help us move ahead right now. 

My thoughts...

If Canucks are in or close to a playoff spot at the trade deadline and JT Miller still hasn't signed to stay with Vancouver the team MUST trade him and Rutherford mentioned it also. The Canucks are not winning the 2023 Stanley Cup...we have done nothing to address the defence and we added a couple more forwards to the group that should help but now have next to no cap space and too many forwards making over 2m.

If JT Miller walks as a free agent next July this team will regret it. We just saw it happen in Calgary and they were a team that had aspirations of going deep and now have a massive hole on their roster and question marks about the future of Tkachuk will he want to stay now that JG has left.

3 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Yeah, I mean when have GM's ever paid serious assets for good players on expiring deals....?

Oh, right.... That happens EVERY TDL :lol:

We won’t trade Miller at a TDL.  Our owner will not allow it.  

2 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

My thoughts...

If Canucks are in or close to a playoff spot at the trade deadline and JT Miller still hasn't signed to stay with Vancouver the team MUST trade him and Rutherford mentioned it also. The Canucks are not winning the 2023 Stanley Cup...we have done nothing to address the defence and we added a couple more forwards to the group that should help but now have next to no cap space and too many forwards making over 2m.

If JT Miller walks as a free agent next July this team will regret it. We just saw it happen in Calgary and they were a team that had aspirations of going deep and now have a massive hole on their roster and question marks about the future of Tkachuk will he want to stay now that JG has left.

We were shopping Miller last season until 2 weeks before the TDL when we took him off the market.  Chytil, Lundquist, and the Rangers’ 2022 first was a fair offer.  We might hav3 been able to get even more if we kept Miller on the market.  There is no reason to believe (if we are in a playoff spot or close) our owner will allow us to trade Miller at the 2023 TDL.