The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Boeser On Block

Podzilla

As much as I love Brock. and I do he seems like a really great classy dude. I think it's fantastic that he is beginning to have success again under BB and maybe even he's a 30+ goal scorer one day. When we're talking about paying 7M ish for a buttery soft maybe 30 goal scorer. I'm pretty wary. I don't care how handsome he is. IMO he's great when he's scoring and when he isn't he isn't really doing anything. Obviously If we manage to fight our way into a playoff position he will stay and probably get a contract. If not I really hope we got a 1st round pick for him at the deadline because his next deal is going to be negative value even as a 30 goal scorer.

Jiricek, Kasper, Gaucher, Chesley, McGroarty, Trikozov, Luneau, Bichsel, Lambert Bystedt. There are some players in that mid to late 1st round that would really complement our core nicely. More so than Brock at 7m ish. 

• Like 1

Boeser bet on himself didn't pan out all too well cuz of Covid-19.  He still hasn't gotten a 30g season yet.  Can't imagine him getting over $7M aav.

I say $7M x 6-8yrs is what he'd get. 

It's a good compromise.  Long term security at a fairly high $.  For a 25+ goal scorer with potential for more.

Or another short term bridge deal again. Something like $6.5M x 3-4yr.  He'd be UFA at the end of the deal and be right in his prime (27-28yr old).

4 hours ago, hammertime said:

As much as I love Brock. and I do he seems like a really great classy dude. I think it's fantastic that he is beginning to have success again under BB and maybe even he's a 30+ goal scorer one day. When we're talking about paying 7M ish for a buttery soft maybe 30 goal scorer. I'm pretty wary. I don't care how handsome he is. IMO he's great when he's scoring and when he isn't he isn't really doing anything. Obviously If we manage to fight our way into a playoff position he will stay and probably get a contract. If not I really hope we got a 1st round pick for him at the deadline because his next deal is going to be negative value even as a 30 goal scorer.

Jiricek, Kasper, Gaucher, Chesley, McGroarty, Trikozov, Luneau, Bichsel, Lambert Bystedt. There are some players in that mid to late 1st round that would really complement our core nicely. More so than Brock at 7m ish. 

If Brock signs for less than 7M, then I think that’s a deal you make. Still possible. I’m curious as to who the next GM is, and how astute he will be in handling these kinds of contracts. But your right, this upcoming draft is deep. If we can get another 1st on top of our own, that’d help move us in the right direction. Two young prospects who could make the team during their ELC years. That’s what should’ve happened with Hughes and Pettersson. 

1 hour ago, BPA said:

Boeser bet on himself didn't pan out all too well cuz of Covid-19.  He still hasn't gotten a 30g season yet.  Can't imagine him getting over $7M aav.

It's a good compromise.  Long term security at a fairly high $.  For a 25+ goal scorer with potential for more.

Or another short term bridge deal again. Something like $6.5M x 3-4yr.  He'd be UFA at the end of the deal and be right in his prime (27-28yr old).

Another bridge deal probably doesn’t favor the Canucks though, does it? 

7 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Another bridge deal probably doesn’t favor the Canucks though, does it? 

Not really.

Only gives Canucks some cap breathing space and in case Boeser never becomes a 30+ goal scorer.  But cuz shorter term, Canucks can trade him if he is no longer in the plans.

Canucks would lose big time (trying to keep him at a low $$) if he surpasses the 30+ goal threshold and reaches a PPG status.  But would a big trading chip.

So really...it's a matter of perspective (if we keep him or don't keep him) and Boeser overall performance. 

I'm bout to start a fight here.

Boeser is Eberle.  Eberle is Boeser.  Similar types of players with similar skillsets but different strengths.  Complimentary pieces for sure with Boeser getting the edge without much question.

Eberle went for Ryan Strome and everyone and their dog said it was an underwhelming and one sided trade for the Oilers.

But that's a close comparable IMO to what we could/should expect for Boeser.  The only difference is Eberle was traded under a $6 million contract and Boeser will have a $7.5 million QO which to some extent negates his value.

So Boeser for an optically decent former top 5 pick with a short resume which would seem to appear to be a Dobson.  Except with only like 2 cost protected defensemen under contract next year, the Isles are NOT trading one of their only top defensive prospects for an Eberle type player...again

• Cheers 1

28 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Would Stevie Y be interested in Brock for Rasmussen? Plays right or left wing. Is from BC, and is 6'6" 221 lbs. 

Only other team that has cap space might have issues with internal cap space and trading to Nashville for Dante Fabbro? 

A 8 goal 20 point player for a 30 goal 70 point player? Dummy Feeling Dumb GIF

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

When did Rasmussen hit the 70 point plateau in a season?  Asking because Boeser has never even broken 60

Per 82 nhl games...

Boeser 31 GPG 66PPG 

As for Rasmussen hitting the 70 point plateau? Never.... not even in junior.

Merry Christmas 

11 hours ago, BPA said:

Is 6.5-7M the going rate for a 25+ goal scorer now?

2 hours ago, BPA said:

Not really.

Only gives Canucks some cap breathing space and in case Boeser never becomes a 30+ goal scorer.  But cuz shorter term, Canucks can trade him if he is no longer in the plans.

Canucks would lose big time (trying to keep him at a low $$) if he surpasses the 30+ goal threshold and reaches a PPG status.  But would a big trading chip.

So really...it's a matter of perspective (if we keep him or don't keep him) and Boeser overall performance. 

Yeah, I guess that’s true. It depends on what the Canucks see him in their long term future. I’m not sure if Brock will ever be a 40 goal scorer in the league, not because he cannot (I think he can get close), but not a perennial 40 goal scorer. He can’t seem to remain healthy, and that’s a big part of being able to produce isn’t it? 

If he does become a perennial 30 goal scorer, then yes, like you’ve said, he’d be a huge trading chip for the team.

1 minute ago, coryberg said:

Per 82 nhl games...

Boeser 31 GPG 66PPG 

Merry Christmas 

The thing is Brock has never played a full 82 in reality

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, hammertime said:

Is 6.5-7M the going rate for a 25+ goal scorer now?

7M for a 25 goal scorer seems a little steep to me. 7M for 30 goals, I’d do. 

Boeser has basically been producing at about a 50-55 point clip. That’s, what, top six production, isn’t it? He’s never surpassed 60 points in his career, though he’s come close. I think that’s partly because he’s never been able to remain healthy in his career to date. He’s never been able to play a full 82 game season since he’s entered the league. I think even in his rookie year he was injured and has been since that time, hasn’t he? 

So I’m not sure if he’s going to get what he’s asking for from the Canucks, which could lead to either 1. His desire to remain here and taking less for more term and security, or 2. He’s probably on the trade block and the end of his Canuck career here, or 3. He signs another bridge deal to prove his worth, and get more money after that, at which case he’d probably just walk into free agency and we lose him for nothing (might be relational damage if he signs another bridge deal). 

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, coryberg said:

Per 82 nhl games...

Boeser 31 GPG 66PPG 

Merry Christmas 

Boeser has never once, ever hit 70 points in any season he's ever played in the NHL< not even 60.  You can shift the goal posts how ever you'd like but the facts don't change.

Myself I'd not do that trade without a high pick like this or next years 1st coming back as well as Rasmussen but you can't claim either player has hit the 70 point mark

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, coryberg said:

A 8 goal 20 point player for a 30 goal 70 point player? Dummy Feeling Dumb GIF

I mean, Brock has never hit either statistic. He’s never scored 30 goals (almost did), and he’s never ever reached 70 points since he’s entered the league.