The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Boeser On Block

Podzilla

14 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Who would you replace him with?  So we would be out shopping for 2 Top 4 RHD?

Trade, college, Europe, free agents. 

Just looking at pending UFAs, some pretty good options out there. 

Myers is not worth his contract. Love the guy, won't be mad if we keep him, but if he doesn't take a sweetheart deal after next year he's gone anyway, best to start planning now.

21 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

If we don't have Myers on that right side for the rest of the season I think you'll be singing a different tune.  There's literally nobody to replace him

9 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Myers isn't perfect, but man, without him we'd be way worse off.  His size and snarl is much needed back there.

Agreed, Myers needs to be given more credit than he gets imo. 

That said, he and OEL - who he is paired with most of the time - don't make the best partners in my view.  We got a glimpse of what OEL could do when Huggy was in protocol and if OEL wasn't paired with Myers, but rather a more 'stay at home' kind of partner I think we'd see a lot more of that offensive potential that OEL has shown he's capable of in the past.  OEL is, in my view, sacrificing some of his offensive instincts to make sure he's covering his defensive responsibilities first and foremost, and there's nothing wrong with that.  If OEL and Myers both had more 'defence-first' partners both of them would perform better in my view.  But that's the problem in a nutshell - we simply don't have the quality/depth on defence and therefore everyone's game suffers a bit to some degree back there. 

Which is to say, that if any trade is made (Miller/BB/Garland/whomever) there absolutely MUST be a top 2 defenceman coming back, preferrably a RHD. 

30 minutes ago, awalk said:

Trade, college, Europe, free agents. 

Just looking at pending UFAs, some pretty good options out there. 

Myers is not worth his contract. Love the guy, won't be mad if we keep him, but if he doesn't take a sweetheart deal after next year he's gone anyway, best to start planning now.

Give me some examples.  I don't think you realize how hard it is to acquire a Top 4 RHD.  Especially one with size and snarl like Myers.

17 minutes ago, awalk said:

Basically what I'm understanding is we can't trade anyone because they are irreplaceable, and we will be able to add a top 4 D man while keeping all players with no cap space and only trading prospects we don't have. Makes sense. 

No JR is simply putting it out there that they don’t need to trade anyone. He’s not going to put all his cards on the table.

Im sure they’re having conversations about a possible Boeser trade already. 

The deal has to make sense though. Making a deal for the sake of making a deal is the worst thing you can do.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, appleboy said:

This management seems to be happy with our defense.

I mean they don’t really have a choice.

Hughes is obviously the cornerstone. OEL and Myers contracts make them almost impossible to move anyways.

Right now they need to be looking to add a young right handed defenseman. Then their D is pretty set for the next couple years at least.

Edited by DeNiro

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I mean they don’t really have a choice.

Hughes is obviously the cornerstone. OEL and Myers contracts make them almost impossible to move anyways.

Right now they need to be looking to add a young right handed defenseman. Then their D is pretty set for the next couple years at least.

I think Kyle Burroughs is here to stay as well.  I see him as a 2nd pairing RHD in a few years.  Could our 3rd pair RHD be a guy like Jett Woo?  I wouldn't be surprised. 

Just now, HKSR said:

I think Kyle Burroughs is here to stay as well.  I see him as a 2nd pairing RHD in a few years.  Could our 3rd pair RHD be a guy like Jett Woo?  I wouldn't be surprised. 

I mean Burroughs is 26.

I think he is what he is at this point. A solid 5/6 guy.

We need a legit top 4 D if we wanna round out our top 6

Just now, DeNiro said:

I mean Burroughs is 26.

I think he is what he is at this point. A solid 5/6 guy.

We need a legit top 4 D if we wanna round out our top 6

Defencemen usually take a year or two longer to develop, so I can see him hitting his prime around 28 or 29.  He has all the tools. 

Just now, HKSR said:

Defencemen usually take a year or two longer to develop, so I can see him hitting his prime around 28 or 29.  He has all the tools. 

Yep he can still develop but that doesn’t mean he’ll be a top 4.

We need a big top 4 Dman that can provide offense. Someone close to Hughes age so they can develop together. 

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Yep he can still develop but that doesn’t mean he’ll be a top 4.

We need a big top 4 Dman that can provide offense. Someone close to Hughes age so they can develop together. 

Playing with Hughes means top pairing.  I see Burroughs on the 2nd pairing.  Nevertheless, I think we have a keeper in Burroughs either way.  We're only short one solid RHD.  Poolman is not the answer, and Hamonic is only temporary.

1 hour ago, Ferlands_Head said:

Per season. Also 113 Goals in 5 seasons is not goal scorer numbers. 

No, that’s actually within range when you attach it to GP

3966469F-4D18-412D-B230-B4CCD49026A1.png

my question, especially when it comes to his QO, is his agent wants to get paid based on an 82 game projection. His actual GP numbers have been slightly declining and this causes me some doubt on his longterm production/ efficiency vs. durability. 

one bad slash to his wrist and his effectiveness evaporates as he is not suited, nor attributes lend, for any other role. That’s a lot of coin to tie up in a one dimensional player.

if the Nux end up retaining and paying his 7.5 QO, his aggregate value should still be moneyballed down to what is the price paid per goal. In that assessment, incorporating all his tangibles,  he will still be vastly overpaid.

Edited by RWJC

22 minutes ago, Ferlands_Head said:

So 113 goals in about 300 games is considered a good goal scorer? 

Yes, when you can be counted on/average to score a goal every 3 games (even if through streaky play), you’re still considered a goal scorer 

goal scoring is its own class of category. You can’t have multiple people score a single goal, but 2 other players can earn points off the transaction. You don’t win games by total assists.  it’s why guys like James neal could extend their careers as long as they have…they can bury the puck when they have to. Another question though is BB more of a goal producer because of who drives the play around him and who his linemates are, or could he be counted on for his own hockey IQ to be considered a true sniper? 
im not so sure of that yet either. 

further to this, and a poor example, but if a player fought once every 3 games, would you consider him a scrapper? Probably.
Same applies to BB

Edited by RWJC
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1