The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Edit)(Disscussion) Evander Kane UFA / Contract Termination Investigated

SilentSam

10 hours ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

I know what you're saying about the risk-reward balance if we got him cheap.  But three things:

1. You help out the San Jose Sharks which is a division team you're battling with.  So any help provided to them must come at a huge expense.

2.  Even $3.5M/yr seems pretty valuable these days when we're up against the cap with our own big contracts to deal with.  Personally, I'd rather keep Miller over Kane.

3.  Sometimes you can go backwards through addition.  Yes we need a physical power forward who can fill the net and not be afraid of tangling it up with the opposition.  You're right, we do need a player like him.  But team cohesion is more important than the addition of his skillset.  Articles like this say it all:  https://thehockeynews.com/news/what-should-the-sharks-do-with-evander-kane

So yes, it really is a big gamble.  You throw a solid RHD and an improved bottom 6 on this team and you have a pretty solid lineup.  You throw a tornado into the village and you have a mess.

1.  I don’t think anyone has to help San Jose out.  They have done themselves the dis-service of publicly announcing they are unhappy with the player and will not take him back to the Bigs.

Something they could have sorted through privately .

2. I agree, and I would never move Miller for Kane.

But the possibility of Pearson or Boeser, yes. Boeser already making 7m. .. what do we sign him for next? 

3 we will never have a solid team without a true power forward.

Think back to the Bertuzzi era , and yes, even Kesler.  

We need a power forward in the top 6 ,

AND a physically tough skilled D man to get out of the first round of playoffs.

a lot here forget how brutality physical and fast playoff hockey is, and the amount of wear it takes to get to that Final.

Real men come together when true comradary is found.

I think Kane , is at this point of maturity in his life, and coming back to Vancouver,..

Which is the only team his agent publicly mentioned in contacting ( just before firings), says a lot.. and noting has a 3 team NTC.

Edited by SilentSam

43 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

I’d like to try the Kane experiment at the right price as well.

I think you’re selling JT Miller a bit short. He’s skilled, surly and physical. JT actually reminds me a bit of Kesler and Bert.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, Salacious Crumb said:

I’d like to try the Kane experiment at the right price as well.

I think you’re selling JT Miller a bit short. He’s skilled, surly and physical. JT actually reminds me a bit of Kesler and Bert.

That’s not a knock on Miller at all SC, but the wear and tear is something he can not endure alone..

as power forwards truly can wear down defence physically,  Miller is tenacious.. and when he is physical, he needs that back up, and can not be the only one.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, SilentSam said:

1.  I don’t think anyone has to help San Jose out.  They have done themselves the dis-service of publicly announcing they are unhappy with the player and will not take him back to the Bigs.

Something they could have sorted through privately .

2. I agree, and I would never move Miller for Kane.

But the possibility of Pearson or Boeser, yes. Boeser already making 7m. .. what do we sign him for next? 

We need a power forward in the top 6 ,

AND a physically tough skilled D man to get out of the first round of playoffs.

a lot here forget how brutality physical and fast playoff hockey is, and the amount of wear it takes to get to that Final.

Real men come together when true comradary is found.

I think Kane , is at this point of maturity in his life, and coming back to Vancouver,..

Which is the only team his agent publicly mentioned in contacting ( just before firings), says a lot.. and noting has a 3 team NTC.

I don't disagree with any of this except:

1. We would be helping out a division rival by taking their problem when they're in a corner.  Keep in mind, you're not only losing a problem person to the team, you're also giving them cap space which has become more valuable during COVID.

Kane would be perfect for us at the price that we could get him for.......except for the gamble on the locker room fit.  Yes, I would trade Boeser for a physically tough skilled RHD +/- some cap space that could be used for Kane in a heartbeat if I knew Kane would not rattle the good work Boudreau is doing.  If we could lose Ferland and gain a draft pick in the process, that would be gravy.  Personally I'd be fine with keeping Pearson for a bottom 6 role even though we really need more energy guys.

3 hours ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

I don't disagree with any of this except:

1. We would be helping out a division rival by taking their problem when they're in a corner.  Keep in mind, you're not only losing a problem person to the team, you're also giving them cap space which has become more valuable during COVID.

Kane would be perfect for us at the price that we could get him for.......except for the gamble on the locker room fit.  Yes, I would trade Boeser for a physically tough skilled RHD +/- some cap space that could be used for Kane in a heartbeat if I knew Kane would not rattle the good work Boudreau is doing.  If we could lose Ferland and gain a draft pick in the process, that would be gravy.  Personally I'd be fine with keeping Pearson for a bottom 6 role even though we really need more energy guys.

How are you giving them cap space when your looking to move a 6-7 m salary (unretained)  in the trade.

it’s not about equal money when they’ve said THEY will retain..  that’s not compenstional, that’s the price they are willing to eat to move him..  they’ve also done themselves more diservice by saying they don’t want him with the team.

Theyve handled this wrong.

and they are stuck to their own words to the player who is also unhappy with them.

They beleived he had gambled on games and scratched him, spoke out about him, before it was even investigated by the NHL.

Then the NHL cleared him, nothing there.

in the meantime he served a 21 game suspension for Covid protocol / unvaxxed.

Think about this for a minute, I don’t think any team that has moved him has done exceptionally well after he has been moved.

so how big of a problem is he,.  He seems a bit inconsequential, except for what he does bring in the ice.

This is a rare opportunity to claim a good power forward at a 50% discount.…. 
after that we deal for a D man.

11 hours ago, SilentSam said:

How are you giving them cap space when your looking to move a 6-7 m salary (unretained)  in the trade.

it’s not about equal money when they’ve said THEY will retain..  that’s not compenstional, that’s the price they are willing to eat to move him..  they’ve also done themselves more diservice by saying they don’t want him with the team.

Theyve handled this wrong.

and they are stuck to their own words to the player who is also unhappy with them.

They beleived he had gambled on games and scratched him, spoke out about him, before it was even investigated by the NHL.

Then the NHL cleared him, nothing there.

in the meantime he served a 21 game suspension for Covid protocol / unvaxxed.

Think about this for a minute, I don’t think any team that has moved him has done exceptionally well after he has been moved.

so how big of a problem is he,.  He seems a bit inconsequential, except for what he does bring in the ice.

This is a rare opportunity to claim a good power forward at a 50% discount.…. 
after that we deal for a D man.

Winnipeg started doing a lot better after they got rid of him.  San Jose has also improved this year.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

I think We just moved ahead of them in the standings,.   they would do better with him.

Not likely.  Players talk about how they have a great vibe going and how the room is now united.  Wilson confirmed that players came to him to say they didn't want him back.  He created divide in the room and it was difficult having to deal with him.  He didn't follow team rules and pretty much did whatever he wanted which set up also a poor example for their younger players.  Doesn't sound like they knew how to keep him in check although they had veterans like Burns, Couture etc. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

53 minutes ago, mll said:

Not likely.  Players talk about how they have a great vibe going and how the room is now united.  Wilson confirmed that players came to him to say they didn't want him back.  He created divide in the room and it was difficult having to deal with him.  He didn't follow team rules and pretty much did whatever he wanted which set up also a poor example for their younger players.  Doesn't sound like they knew how to keep him in check although they had veterans like Burns, Couture etc. 

Wilson can say what he wants,.  And will regret exposing anything negative about the player. .  Wilson’s words will haunt and lessen the return he gets on this player.

A lot of S J fans want him back.

He may have off ice issues, he has even stated it himself..  but he has never brought it to the rink, and never played like there is an issue.

He has been appreciative of his team in San Jose from day one..  and played like it,.  .75 ppg shows the mental over physical fortitude Kane has.

Of late, when questioned about the Sharks disowning him,  he seems confused, but does state he feels a possible scapegoat for how the team itself has been playing.

https://www.nhlpa.com/news/1-15087/evander-kane-credits-teammates-for-easy-transition

https://theathletic.com/news/sharks-evander-kane-its-easy-to-try-to-make-me-the-scapegoat/irTBJDYNP6Hx/

13 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Wilson can say what he wants,.  And will regret exposing anything negative about the player. .  Wilson’s words will haunt and lessen the return he gets on this player.

A lot of S J fans want him back.

He may have off ice issues, he has even stated it himself..  but he has never brought it to the rink, and never played like there is an issue.

He has been appreciative of his team in San Jose from day one..  and played like it,.  .75 ppg shows the mental over physical fortitude Kane has.

Of late, when questioned about the Sharks disowning him,  he seems confused, but does state he feels a possible scapegoat for how the team itself has been playing.

https://www.nhlpa.com/news/1-15087/evander-kane-credits-teammates-for-easy-transition

https://theathletic.com/news/sharks-evander-kane-its-easy-to-try-to-make-me-the-scapegoat/irTBJDYNP6Hx/

I'm all for Kane to Canucks trade.  Main reason is he will be cheap to acquire and I think it has a good chance of working out for us... 

But there are personality issues. Kane can say he's never done this or never done that.. maybe he's one of those people who don't understand he's rubbing people the wrong way. Or he's one of those people who just doesn't get it that his personality is an issue.  But it is an issue. It has been an issue his entire career..  

I think the reason it could work is that he's close to 30 yrs old now so he is maturing as a man and his next team is his last chance in the NHL. I think he will be motivated to fit in under the radar and coming home being close to his family could help.. 

Another thing is SJS really encouraged the personal image over the team.  The players from Thornton on down wanted players to have a personality and a free will type of atmosphere..

I remember that from when Kane first went to SJS and he was talking about it and so were other SJS players. They were saying SJS vibe is different. Everyone is chill. You do you. Have your own personality and every one is cool like that.. 

Most teams have more of a team first approach and certain rules and guidelines to follow as a team mate. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

I remember that from when Kane first went to SJS and he was talking about it and so were other SJS players. They were saying SJS vibe is different. Everyone is chill. You do you. Have your own personality and every one is cool like that.. 

Most teams have more of a team first approach and certain rules and guidelines to follow as a team mate. 

And Kane has demonstrated a history of not following those rules and guidelines.  Parenthood usually causes someone to grow up, but he's still not even approaching a reasonable facsimile of a real man.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

And Kane has demonstrated a history of not following those rules and guidelines.  Parenthood usually causes someone to grow up, but he's still not even approaching a reasonable facsimile of a real man.

I’ll leave it with this Hef. .

I don’t think anyone is truly a man in his 20’s,

but he’s grinding and chipping away at being the best one he can be in his thirties..

I know in my 20’s I may have hurt a lot of feelings,  but if I didn’t finally realize how destructive that was, I wouldn’t have known myself the true pain it could cause, and how destructive it was to myself more than anything.  One of the greatest thing I learned was how to turn my capabilities into positive power,  where helping others can be far more powerful than using my capabilities only for myself selfishly..

as I help others grow, I grow bigger and better with them.

I think Kane has been selfish,.  But is soon to learn , and may be in this his 30th year,.  How if he becomes aware of himself, how being selfless will bring the best out of him.

I don’t think the NHL has seen the best player, or person he can be..

yet.

I think being home , in Vancouver, with family support..  will bring the best out of Kane.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/evander-kane-problem-child/

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

I’ll leave it with this Hef. .

I don’t think anyone is truly a man in his 20’s,

but he’s grinding and chipping away at being the best one he can be in his thirties..

I know in my 20’s I may have hurt a lot of feelings,  but if I didn’t finally realize how destructive that was, I wouldn’t have known myself the true pain it could cause, and how destructive it was to myself more than anything.  One of the greatest thing I learned was how to turn my capabilities into positive power,  where helping others can be far more powerful than using my capabilities only for myself selfishly..

as I help others grow, I grow bigger and better with them.

I think Kane has been selfish,.  But is soon to learn , and may be in this his 30th year,.  How if he becomes aware of himself, how being selfless will bring the best out of him.

I don’t think the NHL has seen the best player, or person he can be..

yet.

I think being home , in Vancouver, with family support..  will bring the best out of Kane.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/evander-kane-problem-child/

And yet, in the articles from your previous point, it is clear that he does not understand how much of a problem his character issues actually are.  Until he's willing to man up and take full responsibility, no team in their right mind is going to take him.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

And yet, in the articles from your previous point, it is clear that he does not understand how much of a problem his character issues actually are.  Until he's willing to man up and take full responsibility, no team in their right mind is going to take him.

In a previous article I posted on this page he states yes he has a gambling problem, and personal issues that play out in public..

but he also thinks that might easily used as an excuse for a team not playing well.  (See below)

Claiming Bankruptcy  can be an awaking too

lol !

But he hasn’t killed anyone, or committed a high crime.

im maintaining my stance that if there is another power forward with this caliber of on ice hockey that we can get for an exchange of  a 3.5m contract.. then we should do it.

This trade with Wilson and the Sharks should come with no extras attached.. Wilson has publicly disowned him, and purposely lowered his value in the way he handled this player.

The Canucks do not have a power forward in its ranks that will appear as a  full fledged NHL’r inside of 3 years.

If it isn’t Kane, then we will have to swap more than 7m to acquire the services of one of this caliber.

Kane is a low Risk move, especially with Rutherford and Boudreau within the ranks.

Sharks forward Evander Kane discussed allegations that he bet on NHL games and responded to The Athletic's report last month that several San Jose teammates don't want him to return next season, in an interview Thursday on ESPN's "SportsCenter."

Asked about The Athletic's report and why teammates might not want him back, Kane replied, "I'm not sure."

"I think it's easy to point the finger at me," added Kane, who filed for bankruptcy in January and has been candid about having a gambling problem. "I think it's easy to try to make me the scapegoat because of some of my personal issues that have played out in public, and point to that. I think it's an easy cop-out.

"At the same time, I don't necessarily know or believe that's true. When it comes to the media, I really take that with a grain of salt."

Kane also again denied allegations made earlier this summer by his wife, Anna Kane, that he gambled on NHL games, calling them "incredibly false." He said on "SportsCenter" that he has never bet on an NHL game, never tried to lose and never altered how he plays based on a bet.

"It's unfortunate that those allegations, false allegations, were made," he said. "Obviously when they happened, I understood the magnitude of them immediately, not knowing what was going to happen next.

"But confident, because I know that's not true. I was very confident, comfortable with where I was, knowing that I was going to be exonerated, am going to be exonerated, of those allegations."

The league's investigation could be completed as soon as the next few days, Kane told ESPN.

**(The Leagues Investigation turned up nothing but false allegations after this interview)
**SSam

Just now, SilentSam said:

In a previous article I posted on this page he states yes he has a gambling problem, and personal issues that play out in public..

but he also thinks that might easily used as an excuse for a team not playing well.  (See below)

Claiming Bankruptcy  can be an awaking too

lol !

But he hasn’t killed anyone, or committed a high crime.

im maintaining my stance that if there is another power forward with this caliber of on ice hockey that we can get for an exchange of  a 3.5m contract.. then we should do it.

This trade with Wilson and the Sharks should come with no extras attached.. Wilson has publicly disowned him, and purposely lowered his value in the way he handled this player.

The Canucks do not have a power forward in its ranks that will appear as a  full fledged NHL’r inside of 3 years.

If it isn’t Kane, then we will have to swap more than 7m to acquire the services of one of this caliber.

Kane is a low Risk move, especially with Rutherford and Boudreau within the ranks.

Sharks forward Evander Kane discussed allegations that he bet on NHL games and responded to The Athletic's report last month that several San Jose teammates don't want him to return next season, in an interview Thursday on ESPN's "SportsCenter."

Asked about The Athletic's report and why teammates might not want him back, Kane replied, "I'm not sure."

"I think it's easy to point the finger at me," added Kane, who filed for bankruptcy in January and has been candid about having a gambling problem. "I think it's easy to try to make me the scapegoat because of some of my personal issues that have played out in public, and point to that. I think it's an easy cop-out.

"At the same time, I don't necessarily know or believe that's true. When it comes to the media, I really take that with a grain of salt."

Kane also again denied allegations made earlier this summer by his wife, Anna Kane, that he gambled on NHL games, calling them "incredibly false." He said on "SportsCenter" that he has never bet on an NHL game, never tried to lose and never altered how he plays based on a bet.

"It's unfortunate that those allegations, false allegations, were made," he said. "Obviously when they happened, I understood the magnitude of them immediately, not knowing what was going to happen next.

"But confident, because I know that's not true. I was very confident, comfortable with where I was, knowing that I was going to be exonerated, am going to be exonerated, of those allegations."

The league's investigation could be completed as soon as the next few days, Kane told ESPN.

**(The Leagues Investigation turned up nothing but false allegations after this interview)
**SSam

Yep. That's not him taking ownership of his issues whatsoever.  Still everyone else's fault.  Let that locker room cancer infect another team.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, King Heffy said:

Yep. That's not him taking ownership of his issues whatsoever.  Still everyone else's fault.  Let that locker room cancer infect another team.

He is taking ownership of his issues,.

He’s uneffected by Wilson’s statements,. And he should be.

12 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Yep, no reason to take the comments of one's boss, reflect on them, and maybe use them to make positive change.  

Again , speaks more of the speaker..

and in Wilson’s case,  I think he’s done.

Kane will still have a job in the NHL.