The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks name Jim Rutherford as president & interim GM

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

7 hours ago, JM_ said:

have you turned on a tv in the last while? the media side is getting more diverse all the time.

As far as hockey exec's go, did you have a particular hire in mind thats better for us a PHO in mind? 

Yay for the media side. :rolleyes:

I have no particular hire in mind and don’t have any immediate disagreeable position on the current hire other than it’s another old white guy amongst a choice of generally old white guys. 

7 hours ago, The Lock said:

While I'm nervous about Rutherford coming in, I don't really agree with your statement at all. The last 3 (or more) GMs we've had have been GMs who haven't had NHL GM experience. You have to look at our situation right now. The kind of GM you seem to want to imply we have here instead is the kind of GM who has literally failed us at getting a cup. Sure, we've been close, but we don't have a cup. This is where we need a change.

So yeah, there's new ideas and blood available, but that's easily more of the same of what we've had for much of the existance of the Canucks. You may not realise it, but what you're asking for is more of the same here of what hasn't worked for us.

I have nothing against Rutherford, as previously mentioned. 

47 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Stfu iMac. 

Rutherford doesn't even have a week in and iMac throws shade at him. What was happening wasn't working here. Why shouldn't he change everything. 

Did he just expect to stay the course of perennial ass?

How was Imac throwing shade at him ? He didn't even overtly critisize it...??

Imac is just another reporter in this city with a view. These passionate hate for any reporter/pundit not named Elliot Freidman is just strange. Everyone hates Dreger. Everyone hates Kyper. Everyone hates them all except EF. :rolleyes:

9 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

If you exist in a world without history that is viable.

But when every person hired at every level for decades looks the same then you have severely limited the talent pool you are drawing from. 

I would prefer to look at a much expanded talent pool for a good candidate since we now have an experienced team builder to help shepherd someone with talent.

In a system where every candidate looks the same you sometimes have to intentionally broaden the net a bit to find someone exceptional.

Like I said, I am 100% for hiring the best person. Don't care what they look like and if they end up all looking the same...oh well.  This is a billion dollar business, not some far left wing media or political business that doesn't care if they do well.

Agree to disagree.

4 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

I have no particular hire in mind and don’t have any immediate disagreeable position on the current hire other than it’s another old white guy amongst a choice of generally old white guys. 

What a weird opinion to have.

Pretty much all the experts and best hockey people are white men. They will continue to be for the next little while but then the group will begin to diversify. 

As for now, hire the best candidate that is most likely to get the Canucks a Stanley Cup. This isn't some child's game here. This is a business with billions of dollars on the line. You don't go hire some subpar candidate just to try to stand out like you are some kind of "woke" person.

:wacko:

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

What I wanted from the team was to tear down the structure, hire an experienced POHO and rebuild the organization from ground up.  

Not sure Rutherford is who I would have chosen but he sure seems to have trained a lot of the GMs around the league and knows what Hockey Ops should look like.

Can't quibble about the details I guess.  Got the coach I favoured so this feels like an overall success and will be very interested to see who else comes in. 

Still would love to see some diversity but when you are looking for experience in hockey there isn't any. 

Here’s the thing…the two guys brought in so far are on 2 year and 3 year contracts. What does that indicate? To me it’s not just shorter term/financially protective, but also an indication that FA believes that this core has a maybe 2-3 year shelf life together to win. Imho, the guys brought in so far are the perfect candidates to take this team to its limit in the short term. For that reason, I don’t see EP getting moved yet. If anything it’ll be in year 2 or 3. BB6 I think will be re-signed to a 3 year deal given the room chemistry. We don’t want another Tanev/Markstrom/Toffoli loss in morale.

I could be wrong but the majority of the group we have is likely who we are going forward with for this season (save for any trade deadline moves for assets pending our divisional standing) and into next year.

• Vintage 1

10 minutes ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

How was Imac throwing shade at him ? He didn't even overtly critisize it...??

Imac is just another reporter in this city with a view. These passionate hate for any reporter/pundit not named Elliot Freidman is just strange. Everyone hates Dreger. Everyone hates Kyper. Everyone hates them all except EF. :rolleyes:

I am not a huge fan of any of them including Friedman. 

13 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

but you were just complaining about media representation

13 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

who cares if he's an 'old white guy'? I think you're trying too hard to be woke.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

55 minutes ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

I think Horvat will be on the block first. He isn't enough of an offensive player for JR. 

JR also doesn't particularly enjoy building a defense. Building offense is a lot funner. 

Max, you ain’t steppin or stappen…

you trippin!

Edited by RWJC
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

38 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

some people on here must be blind...I don't know how many times its been posted stating "these firings today were in the works PRE Rutherford'' Thought we all knew how to read in Elementary School...

He was promoted to the interm management team 2 days ago.

Smyl and Johnston will also be joined by a few familiar faces, such as Chris Gear, Henrik Sedin and Daniel Sedin. https://thecanuckway.com/2021/12/05/canucks-fire-jim-benning-john-weisbrod/

Edited by MaxVerstappen33
  • Vintage 1

29 minutes ago, CanuckGAME said:

Gotta love the simpletons in here raging about Imacs tweet.

Ian mac is as respectable as they come.

Aquilini still has his hands in the pot. 

Having some inside knowledge on how he runs things he doesn’t like to spend too much on his top level employees.

All these new hires plus the salaries he’s paying for recently fired employees means top executives were gonna get the axe.

We’ll probably see the new GM and assistant GM absorb these roles. My guess is one or both will have law backgrounds and/or strong analytics backgrounds.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, DrJockitch said:

What I wanted from the team was to tear down the structure, hire an experienced POHO and rebuild the organization from ground up.  

Not sure Rutherford is who I would have chosen but he sure seems to have trained a lot of the GMs around the league and knows what Hockey Ops should look like.

Can't quibble about the details I guess.  Got the coach I favoured so this feels like an overall success and will be very interested to see who else comes in. 

Still would love to see some diversity but when you are looking for experience in hockey there isn't any. 

Almost exactly my feelings as well.

I don’t enjoy seeing folks fired, but a housecleaning of this front office was definitely in order, so I’m excited to see who comes in and what hockey ops looks like when JR is finished.

Rutherford wasn’t necessarily my PoHO pick, but I think he’s more than qualified for the job. Just to have a PoHO again is a major win, as hopefully it means ownership goes back to a hands off approach, and lets the people they hire run the business.

I’m also encouraged by ownership’s willingness to hire some big names, who likely came with big pricetags. Hopefully this continues as they build out hockey ops, and bring in the most qualified, effective, and proven people to fill many of the vacancies, and ideally expand the department.

There’s no salary cap on staff, and I think this organization has gotten a little too lean of late, and also tended toward being a bit too insular, under the last regime, so I’m hopeful these changes will have good results.

Agreed that it would be amazing to see more diversity. Organizations are stronger when they have people from varying backgrounds and perspectives. And you avoid the pitfalls of “monoculture” and collective blind spots. Would love to see some more women and BIPOC hirings for prominent roles in this organization. Also would like to see more innovative and non-traditional types brought in.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Thanks 1
  • Wat 3
  • Vintage 1