The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Movie suggestions

Bruce Boudreau

7 hours ago, sonoman said:

If you have Prime,  Bosch is a great series.  Very gritty police crime series. 

Yes have I have prime. 

Tend to prefer Movies over tv shows due to the plot having a resolution personal preference.

But If just killing time tv shows are great can watch full seasons if a show is really good tons of content.

Am guilty of binging prison break and game of thrones though.

Any thoughts on Billions?

I think I am going to watch 'Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy' again at some point over the holidays. So much fun. 

Still have watch the new Dune too.

For none spacey, If you have not ever seen 'Snatch' that is one of my fav movies of all time. 

Oh, I have a yearning to watch 'The 13th Warrior' again too. Shot up here on the Island. Good flick. 

Edited by bishopshodan
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, buddhahoodlum said:

Not a movie, but Good Omens was wicked. Other hilarious shows (to me): Blackadder, Extras, Life's Too Short, An Idiot Abroad. 

As far as movies: Maverick, Mean Girls, What We Do In the Shadows (TV series is awesome too), Rosencrantz & Guildenstern Are Dead, Wedding Crashers, Starsky & Hutch.

None of these are particularly new however so I don't know how they'd look on your fancy TV. 

It's tough finding good 4K content outside of steaming services Netflix and Amazon prime. On regular cable tv channels I mean sports wise they don't even have all the big NFL games or Canucks games in 4k yet.

TSN has only 1 decidated 4k channel same as Sportsnet... I mean we have 8K tvs now and high end computer's with unbelievable graphics and picture quality.

I originally wanted to get an OLED but realized it was pretty pointless with most content these days still at 720P and 1080P at best.

I know it can up convert the signal so it produces a slightly better picture but it's not comparable to a true native 4K signal.

Watching regular shoes and movies on tv vs watching on Netflix or Amazon the picture quality are like old DVDs vs a BlueRay!

20 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

It's tough finding good 4K content outside of steaming services Netflix and Amazon prime. On regular cable tv channels I mean sports wise they don't even have all the big NFL games or Canucks games in 4k yet.

TSN has only 1 decidated 4k channel same as Sportsnet... I mean we have 8K tvs now and high end computer's with unbelievable graphics and picture quality.

I originally wanted to get an OLED but realized it was pretty pointless with most content these days still at 720P and 1080P at best.

I know it can up convert the signal so it produces a slightly better picture but it's not comparable to a true native 4K signal.

Watching regular shoes and movies on tv vs watching on Netflix or Amazon the picture quality are like old DVDs vs a BlueRay!

How big is your tv?

I have a 4k 49inch tv and, watching a hockey game for instance, I sometimes switch between the 4k Sportsnet channel and the high-def channel and I honestly don't see very much difference in picture quality.

5 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

How big is your tv?

I have a 4k 49inch tv and, watching a hockey game for instance, I sometimes switch between the 4k Sportsnet channel and the high-def channel and I honestly don't see very much difference in picture quality.

My TV is 55 on the slack !

On a serious note 

Movies worth checking out 

The Departed 

Good Fellas   

Vice 

Loving 

The Man From Nowhere 

Hidden Figures 

Badlands  

TV Series 

Peaky Blinders 

Taboo 

The Wire- best series ever 

Very underrated show that I never see anyone mention, but its newer and on Prime I believe. Its called 'I See You'. Fantastic thriller, with a plot that keeps you guessing until the end. Have told a handful of people to watch and every one has come back saying they liked it.

16 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

Yes have I have prime. 

Tend to prefer Movies over tv shows due to the plot having a resolution personal preference.

But If just killing time tv shows are great can watch full seasons if a show is really good tons of content.

Haven’t seen it 

On 12/20/2021 at 9:28 AM, WilliG said:

Spider-Man: No Way Home (twice, actually. Won't bore you with the details why).

9/10

Really?! That seems generous.... 

I watched the other two.  The last one I felt was a 7 on the vacation trip.

The first one was an 8.

Now you are getting my expectations and hopes up...

On 12/19/2021 at 5:50 PM, UnkNuk said:

How big is your tv?

It's supposed to be 70inch diagonally it's a Sony Bravia the X900H to be specific. 

In order to see the difference it's not a huge difference honestly like it was going to HD finally after all those standard definition days.

Apparently you have to sit much closer to the screen and have a comparatively closer viewing distance to see the different pixel quality difference. 

There is a chart somewhere but basically at a certain distance of more than 10 feet away from the TV you dont see much difference.

The best picture I from new Netflix movies and Amazon prime. They have 4k content specifically optimized for modern tvs.

On 12/19/2021 at 5:17 PM, Chip Kelly said:

Yes have I have prime. 

Billions is solid. The Expanse is a good sci fi show. Don't recall which service shows it. Most of my favorite movies are dramas, but here's a few action and comedy movies that I recommend (I'll stick to 10 of each).

Action:

Braveheart

Drive

End of Watch

Sin City

Man on Fire

Django Unchained

Payback

Boondock Saints

Eastern Promises

The Dark Knight

Comedy:

Van Wilder

Office Space

Napoleon Dynamite

Galaxy Quest

The Other Guys

Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Zoolander

Groundhog Day

Harold and Kumar Go To Whitecastle

Blast From the Past

• Like 1

Here are some movies from the last few years that I really enjoyed, that are on the major screening services:

Netflix

Hunt For The Wilderpeople

Green Book

I Am Mother

Wind River

El Camino (continuation of Breaking Bad)

Disney+

Jojo Rabbit

Free Guy

Prime

Palm Springs

A Quiet Place 2

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, D-Money said:

Here are some movies from the last few years that I really enjoyed, that are on the major screening services:

Netflix

Hunt For The Wilderpeople

Green Book

I Am Mother

Wind River

El Camino (continuation of Breaking Bad)

Disney+

Jojo Rabbit

Free Guy

Prime

Palm Springs

A Quiet Place 2

Palm Springs was decent. Very kind of mellow movie on the outside but has some good meaning and life lessons the deeper you get into it.

Free guy was OK too. Ryan Reynolds is great in most every comedy movie.

Have to say though the best movie of 2021 that I have seen so far is King Richard about the father of the Williams sisters in Tennis.

Some movies I thought were way to overhyped like Dune.

Suicide  squad was a major disappointment. Just don't understand the inflated rotten tomatoes scores from critics and audience alike.

James Bond was good but thought the ending was a little cheesy.

On my list to watch at some point will be the new Spider-Man , Matrix movie and the long awaited sequel to Top gun Maverick.

• Upvote 1