The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Movie suggestions

Bruce Boudreau

With Covid positives and the new variant running more rampant over the holiday season, the beginning of winter and into the New Year, It will be more difficult once again to go out and look for activities that don't involve masking and worries about social distancing from strangers.

The alternative is too stay in, aside from trips to work and the store to grab food and essentials obviously.

With that being said and a couple of days off coming for Christmas and New Years and the like.. would like to know some good movies to watch to pass the time.

It has not been a great year for movies this year and last but more so looking to kill a few hours after work with sports potentially going on pause.

So fire away your suggestions. I like comedies and action. And some scifi as well as movies based on real life.

Can be raunchy too just pm for those...:bigblush:

A lil bored this wk, watched Carlito's Way once again(had been a long time). Sean Penn is off the rails wacky, mind lost to snow.

Mahhhhn, that Penelope Ann Miller is sexy as Hell in this flick. Her chemistry with Pacino is sizzlin'. & Old Al is about as cool(dialogue & appearance) as he was in any of his lengthy catalogue of great films.

As a bonus, Viggo Mortenson pops in(forgot he was in this) for a short, key sequence.

Another film I love from about this period, is Get Shorty(doesn't get the love it deserves). Just epic.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

12 Angry Men is one of my all-time favourites. I only wish more people my age would watch older movies. An incredible film though and way ahead of it's time.

Fabulous movie!  I wonder if some of the younger people need less acting and more action though?  Ironically the actors today are so amazing, and would do great with the old scripts.  They don’t need all the fancy action to make the scene.  

1 hour ago, Angry Goose said:

@Chip Kellyare you looking mostly for recent releases from 2020/21 or personal favorites in general? 

Also, in terms of action movies are you looking for more of a good time/popcorn flick like the John Wick movies or something more brutal/serious in tone like Sicario? 

Something more recent ideally. Just visually looks better on a modern 4K tv. 

Story wise older movies are much better though I must say.

In the mood for a comedy though feel like there has not been a really good in quite a long time like MR. Deeds or Anger Management.

Maybe one of the newer age Bond films with Daniel Craig?

16 minutes ago, Zhukini said:

Brain on Fire

Not action or comedy or sci fi. But its aa very interesting movie, definitely not one you have your phone in one hand and scroll through while watching. 

Interesting choice critics ripped it though very low scores. Though critc ratings on rotten tomatoes have let me down more times than not...

16 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

Something more recent ideally. Just visually looks better on a modern 4K tv. 

Story wise older movies are much better though I must say.

In the mood for a comedy though feel like there has not been a really good in quite a long time like MR. Deeds or Anger Management.

Maybe one of the newer age Bond films with Daniel Craig?

oh man, comedy is a tough one.  The new Ghostbusters:Afterlife was surprisingly cute/funny.  Id like to see Wes Anderson’s new movie the French Dispatch as well.  

I bet in 4K Tenet would look fantastic if you havnt seen it.  The Green Knight was one of my top movies for 2021 and probably would look killer as well if youre into dark fantasy movies.   The new Bond would look good (although i found it kinda boring/cheesy).  

Ill try Jiu Jitsu (2020) if you do lol

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Angry Goose said:

oh man, comedy is a tough one.  The new Ghostbusters:Afterlife was surprisingly cute/funny.  Id like to see Wes Anderson’s new movie the French Dispatch as well.  

I bet in 4K Tenet would look fantastic if you havnt seen it.  The Green Knight was one of my top movies for 2021 and probably would look killer as well if youre into dark fantasy movies.   The new Bond would look good (although i found it kinda boring/cheesy).  

Ill try Jiu Jitsu (2020) if you do lol

Have seen Tenet it was decent I guess. Kinda reminded me of Inception and the whole time moving backwards angle.

I saw Dune it's a big hit for the visuals and the sci fi crowd. I found it pretty boring and the story more complex but lacking entertainment and it's a part 1 it's not a standalone finished movie even.

I read some good things about King Richard the sports bio pic who moulded Serena and Venus Williams into stars.

Will give that a try tonight and then maybe have to resort to the endless onslaught of Super hero movies...

51 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

Have seen Tenet it was decent I guess. Kinda reminded me of Inception and the whole time moving backwards angle.

I saw Dune it's a big hit for the visuals and the sci fi crowd. I found it pretty boring and the story more complex but lacking entertainment and it's a part 1 it's not a standalone finished movie even.

I read some good things about King Richard the sports bio pic who moulded Serena and Venus Williams into stars.

Will give that a try tonight and then maybe have to resort to the endless onslaught of Super hero movies...

Did u try Untold:Crimes & Penalties on Netflix? I usually keep hockey/crime docs separate but I thought it was awesome.  Binged it in 24hrs. 

Movie wise I hear ya. Cant stand 99% of super hero movies.  Going back a few tears Hereditary was a favourite.  The Suspiria (2018) re make as well.  

6 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

A lil bored this wk, watched Carlito's Way once again(had been a long time). Sean Penn is off the rails wacky, mind lost to snow.

Mahhhhn, that Penelope Ann Miller is sexy as Hell in this flick. Her chemistry with Pacino is sizzlin'. & Old Al is about as cool(dialogue & appearance) as he was in any of his lengthy catalogue of great films.

As a bonus, Viggo Mortenson pops in(forgot he was in this) for a short, key sequence.

Another film I love from about this period, is Get Shorty(doesn't get the love it deserves). Just epic.

Viggo is great as the “fallen angel” in this movie as well:

It’s not a great movie but it is cool to see Christopher Walken as a lost his way Angel Gabriel.

Another movie with a small cameo of Viggo ( heh, sort of like Kevin Bacon):  Careful, blink & you might miss him!

• Vintage 2

Action Movies

John Wick
John Wick Chapter 2
John Wick  3  Parabellum

The Warriors

Train to Busan  (Korean zombie movie)
Train to Busan 2

Blade movies

The Wanderers

All Denzel Washington movies
Training Day
The Equalizer
Man on Fire
American Gangster
The Book of Eli

Bruce Willis
The first couple of Die Hard movies
The Sixth Sense
Pulp Fiction
Armangeddon

All Resident Evil movies

Squid games

The Raid
The Raid 2

The Tomorrow War

Jurassic Park movies

Black Panther

Kill Bill movies

Atomic Blonde 

Enter the Dragon

Lethal Weapon 1 & 2

Hanna

Speed

Point Break

Mad Max movies

Indiana Jones movies

Lord of the Ring movies

Face off

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

The Fugitive

Road House

The Crow

All the Bourne movies

Police Story  Jackie Chan

Ben-Hur

The Rock

Robocop

Crank

La Femme Nikita

Leon

Rocky, First Blood

Mad Max movies

The Terminator movies

The Predator movies

The Alien movies

Raider of the Lost Ark

All Aliens movies

Die Hard movies

All the Underworld movies

Laura Croft Tomb Raider

The Hunger Games

The Villainess

Salt

Lucy

• Vintage 1

Not a movie, but Good Omens was wicked. Other hilarious shows (to me): Blackadder, Extras, Life's Too Short, An Idiot Abroad. 

As far as movies: Maverick, Mean Girls, What We Do In the Shadows (TV series is awesome too), Rosencrantz & Guildenstern Are Dead, Wedding Crashers, Starsky & Hutch.

None of these are particularly new however so I don't know how they'd look on your fancy TV. 

• Thanks 1