The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Mondray Flebruarry 21, 22: Sea-Addled Squids (51-16-31-4=36) @ Vancabularry Canucks-better-win-this-gimme-game-or-elses (51-23-22-6=52) 7:00 Our Time SN TV AM650

Rate this topic

Goal:thecup

1 hour ago, Locke Lamora said:

Somebody posted the PP2 lineup earlier, but I was too busy out in my garden to post a comment. I really hope that’s not accurate. Dickinson? Oh Brucie Boudreau…. *facepalm*

They must be putting Dickinson up for trade, only way that makes any sense at all. 

4 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Lane Pederson on waivers.

6'0" 192 lbs. RH centre. Good AHL numbers, just not great NHL numbers.

Worth a pickup? 

Of course, Pederson will come on like gangbusters and I'll be proven wrong, but no.  Against claiming him:

1.  With the new management group talking about looking at NCAA and European free agents, which generally become available in the spring, there are very likely going to be chances to sign players with higher likelihood of becoming NHL players;

2.  With the possibility of trades coming which could involve trading quality players with more pieces coming back than going out, as well as the new management group speaking of looking for European and NCAA free agents (who typically become available in the spring), there is a good reason to hold onto the three available contract slots.  (There are 47 contracts with a limit of 50.)

3.  When  a team claims a player on waivers, they have to keep the player on the NHL roster unless they waive the player and he clears waivers.  Therefore there is really little point to claiming someone just to waive him again and try to send him to the minors unless the scouts are very high on his potential-not just to be a depth forward but higher up the linup.  The main exception to that is when the team has a current need, usually due to midseason injuries.

The team doesn't have a need for another depth forward right now.  It is unlikely he'd make the team this season so would be slated to go to the minors after  being put on waivers again.  He's never shown anything to make one think he has a high chance of being a solid NHL player-if he makes it, he'll more likely be a depth forward.

4.  The team already has some players who have played well enough to deserve a callup.  I'd much rather see them reward the guys who have played well for Abbotsford than leave them without a shot, feeling hard done by, unless Pederson is extremely likely to be an upgrade.  

Edited by tyhee