The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Canucks exploring Tyler Myers trade

brian42

4 hours ago, DeNiro said:

I could think of quite a few teams Myers would be an upgrade for. With two years left he’s not that much of a risk.

If Guddy is worth 4 Myers is worth 6.

I still can’t believe Columbus gave him that contract. That’s nuts. 

10 hours ago, DeNiro said:

I could think of quite a few teams Myers would be an upgrade for. With two years left he’s not that much of a risk.

If Guddy is worth 4 Myers is worth 6.

would gudranson have got 4 if myers wasn't already making 6? probably not. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, tas said:

Guddy has 94 career points is a -87 while averaging 18:11 in ice time

Myers has 325 career points is a +9 while averaging 22:14 in ice time

200.gif

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

39 minutes ago, coryberg said:

Guddy has 94 career points is a -87 while averaging 18:11 in ice time

Myers has 325 career points is a +9 while averaging 22:14 in ice time

200.gif

what's your point? my point is that using more recently signed contracts to retroactively justify the value of previously signed contracts is broken logic. 

1 hour ago, tas said:

what's your point? my point is that using more recently signed contracts to retroactively justify the value of previously signed contracts is broken logic. 

You asked if guddy would have got 4 if myers hadn't been making 6. Myers is and was never a comparable to guddy, apples and Oranges bud.

• Cheers 2

30 minutes ago, coryberg said:

You asked if guddy would have got 4 if myers hadn't been making 6. Myers is and was never a comparable to guddy, apples and Oranges bud.

I guarantee you gudbranson's agent didn't see it the same way while negotiating that deal. it doesn't even need to be a direct comparable anyway, though. I think it's pretty obvious that the myers contract drove up the price for ~30 year old, solid but unspectacular right shot d with size and intangibles. 

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, canucklehead44 said:

I don’t know how Gudbranson has managed to get so many 3 & 4 million dollar contracts as a bottom pairing dman with horrible metrics 

because teams are about a hellofa lot more than metrics and the highly paid professionals who are actually put in charge to run these organizations realize that. 

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

16 hours ago, tas said:

because teams are about a hellofa lot more than metrics and the highly paid professionals who are actually put in charge to run these organizations realize that. 

The Blue Jackets' management might have gone by more than metrics, but you can't tell if that is what happened because Gudbranson's big pay increase this summer was in line with his vastly improved numbers.  If his numbers last season reflected what one can expect from him in the future, he was due a big raise.

The argument against Gudbranson's contract is actually that CBJ paid too much attention to the 2021-2022 metrics.

Edited by tyhee
typo
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

On 7/28/2022 at 6:14 AM, tas said:

On 8/1/2022 at 6:22 PM, tas said:

Not our fault Columbus grossly overpaid him based on one season. 

Just now, tas said:

gudbranson is a commodity because he brings a lot more to a team than what meets the eye. 

That didn’t actually work out for any team that has taken him on minus last season. Still an overpayment based on his entire body of work.

1 minute ago, canuck73_3 said:

That didn’t actually work out for any team that has taken him on minus last season. Still an overpayment based on his entire body of work.

we have no idea how it worked out for those teams without asking the guys in the locker room.

why do fans constantly forget the human nature of these things? has nobody here ever been part of a team before? the personalities are more important than the individual skills. a good team is one that brings out the best in each other, that's greater than the sum of their component parts. why is this such a hard concept to grasp?

is jt miller jt miller on any other team? no. is tanev the single most important calgary flame? yes. just listen to the way his gm gushes about him. does alex burrows become alex burrows, hell, does he even get a cup of coffee if he comes up in any other group? no. jannik hansen went from a hero in vancouver to out of the league in half a friggin' season because the vancouver culture was his superpower. 

do you work better with people who are the absolute best individuals at their jobs, or with people who complement you personally and professionally, people you have rapport and chemistry and synergy with? 

• Vintage 1

29 minutes ago, tas said:

we have no idea how it worked out for those teams without asking the guys in the locker room.

why do fans constantly forget the human nature of these things? has nobody here ever been part of a team before? the personalities are more important than the individual skills. a good team is one that brings out the best in each other, that's greater than the sum of their component parts. why is this such a hard concept to grasp?

is jt miller jt miller on any other team? no. is tanev the single most important calgary flame? yes. just listen to the way his gm gushes about him. does alex burrows become alex burrows, hell, does he even get a cup of coffee if he comes up in any other group? no. jannik hansen went from a hero in vancouver to out of the league in half a friggin' season because the vancouver culture was his superpower. 

do you work better with people who are the absolute best individuals at their jobs, or with people who complement you personally and professionally, people you have rapport and chemistry and synergy with? 

He was mediocre in Van, slightly less mediocre in Pittsburgh, mediocre in Anaheim, solid in Ottawa. He is over paid based on his body of work. Not sure why you have to go all sjw about this. 

And yes I have played on numerous teams.

Edited by canuck73_3

2 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

He was mediocre in Van, slight less mediocre in Pittsburgh, mediocre in Anaheim, solid in Ottawa. He is over paid based on his body of work. Not sure why you have to go all sjw about this. 

And yes I have played on numerous teams.

in what world is anything I said remotely "sjw"? none of it had anything do to with society or justice. 

you're missing the point by such a margin that it's jarring.

gudbranson is one of the most intelligent and respected players in the league. he is always heavily involved in the nhlpa. think trevor linden. in addition to that he adds the physically imposing layer of safety that every team needs, a policeman. 

what kind of grades do you think his teammates would give him at the end of every year? they don't care one iota about how many giveaways he had or what his possession numbers were. they care that he was there to lean on when they had that important life decision to make, or that he punched guys in the face when they were taking liberties. 

gudbranson's stats are secondary to his true value, and that's why he continues to get paid. he helps to enable a room full of guys to be their best. 

2 minutes ago, tas said:

in what world is anything I said remotely "sjw"? none of it had anything do to with society or justice. 

you're missing the point by such a margin that it's jarring.

gudbranson is one of the most intelligent and respected players in the league. he is always heavily involved in the nhlpa. think trevor linden. in addition to that he adds the physically imposing layer of safety that every team needs, a policeman. 

what kind of grades do you think his teammates would give him at the end of every year? they don't care one iota about how many giveaways he had or what his possession numbers were. they care that he was there to lean on when they had that important life decision to make, or that he punched guys in the face when they were taking liberties. 

gudbranson's stats are secondary to his true value, and that's why he continues to get paid. he helps to enable a room full of guys to be their best. 

He got over paid by about 1-1.5 million period because believe it or not on ice metrics matter too.