The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

THAT needs to be our main Jersey.

Rate this topic

TheNewGM

1 hour ago, Tiger-Hearted said:

Absolutely. Been a devoted Canucks fan for 42 seasons and I'm definitely devoted to the character who inspired our hockey namesake and whose lumberjack profession helped build our city.

Johnny Canuck was a comic book based on a  Canadian Air Force Pilot ..

The LumberJack has been a spin off from Paul Bunyan for years..  although this coast never named the Logo.

As I’ve stated before,  I was a Logger in the 70’s thru the 80’s .. did every job in the woods,  I was a Timberfaller who learned all of the jobs, and did them in remote areas along the BC coast .

That logo is a joke.

37F9DD1A-FEF1-458B-8BD1-3EE3B5A84635.jpeg.fdd2af72b1420804035bcdcef9af81f1.jpeg

• Cheers 1

16 hours ago, Tiger-Hearted said:

Absolutely. Been a devoted Canucks fan for 42 seasons and I'm definitely devoted to the character who inspired our hockey namesake and whose lumberjack profession helped build our city.

The inspiration for the team name was to capitalize on the post war sense of national pride. Use the nickname given to soldiers and people will support the team riding the sense of national pride. It had nothing to do with a cartoon limberjack or the forrest industry. :lol:

• Cheers 1

26 minutes ago, Baggins said:

The inspiration for the team name was to capitalize on the post war sense of national pride. Use the nickname given to soldiers and people will support the team riding the sense of national pride. It had nothing to do with a cartoon limberjack or the forrest industry. :lol:

Yep, a cute story with zero truth. :lol:

19 hours ago, Tiger-Hearted said:

Already saving money to buy a jersey as well plus other Johnny Canuck Reverse Retro merchandise. It will be a red-hot seller. I also plan on going to the first game the jerseys are worn. Can't wait!:frantic:

I will say the sweater is a solid design, love the Green numbers. The logo is awful. 

17 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

I will say the sweater is a solid design, love the Green numbers. The logo is awful. 

I agree with this, the jersey itself is great, the dated execution of the logo is awful. However, I think people aren’t looking at it the right way. If this were the official new home jersey it would be a mistake. It’s not though. It’s the reverse retro. It’s a gimmicky theme jersey where they take parts of the team’s past and mash them together. It’s perfect for that.

Edited by McBackup
  • Cheers 1

Just now, McBackup said:

I agree with this, the jersey itself is great, the dated execution of the logo is awful. However, I think people aren’t looking at it the right way. If this were the official new home jersey it would be a mistake. It’s not though. It’s the reverse retro. It’s a theme jersey where they take gimmicky parts of the team’s past and mash them together. It’s perfect for that.

Yeah my view has softened a bit and will likely add a JT Miller one to my collection. However, if they even talk about this as our primary I will lose my s*** one off for a year is ok then please never again. 

5 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Yeah my view has softened a bit and will likely add a JT Miller one to my collection. However, if they even talk about this as our primary I will lose my s*** one off for a year is ok then please never again. 

I don’t think they will. They seem pretty dead set on the current home and road, which is fine for me. The home and away now are great. They’ve got the skate as a third to appease the children screeching about that, and they’ve got the reverse retro to fill the novelty quota.

They’re in a great place visually. Which is why it’s so frustrating seeing them unable to just leave the uniforms alone, given they’ve inexplicably removed the pants stripes.

Edited by McBackup
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, McBackup said:

I don’t think they will. They seem pretty dead set on the current home and road, which is fine for me. The home and away now are great. They’ve got the skate as a third to appease the children screeching about that, and they’ve got the reverse retro to fill the novelty quota.

They’re in a great place visually. Which is why it’s so frustrating seeing them unable to just leave the uniforms alone, given they’re inexplicably removed the pants stripes.

I even would argue use the Skate as a short term alternate, then go back to it later again. Never use it as a primary yet keep it desirable and special when it does come back. 

1 minute ago, canuck73_3 said:

I even would argue use the Skate as a short term alternate, then go back to it later again. Never use it as a primary yet keep it desirable and special when it does come back. 

The thing about the skate is that it’s very Flavour of the month. When the team originally switched to the orca it was seen as great because they were returning to a “west coast” colour scheme. Then when they re-released the stick-and-rinks as throwbacks in 06, everyone was clamouring for them to return to those full time, which is a big reason they moved to the current uniforms when they switched to the edge template. Then they released the Millionaires throwbacks and there was an extremely vocal minority of people saying they should move to those full time.

Now people are doing the same thing with the skate.

I’m not saying everyone who wants them wearing the skate full time is just in the “grass-is-greener” mindset, but that’s a big contingent of it. That, and the fact we’re in an era fetishizing 90s nostalgia so you get people saying they should switch to them for that reason, because they’re “lit” “clean” and “fire AF”.

That’s my biggest contention with the skate. I think it’s fine as a 3rd, it fills that niche well, and will hopefully keep the people advocating for it content. Because the Canucks need to just stick to a look at this point. They’re widely mocked for having an “identity crisis”. They’ve worn the blue and green and the orca for longer than anything else at this point. It works. It fits. I would hate for them to drastically downgrade their uniforms on a nostalgia bandwagon when they’ll just start hyping up something else within a decade anyway.

• Cheers 2

25 minutes ago, McBackup said:

The thing about the skate is that it’s very Flavour of the month. When the team originally switched to the orca it was seen as great because they were returning to a “west coast” colour scheme. Then when they re-released the stick-and-rinks as throwbacks in 06, everyone was clamouring for them to return to those full time, which is a big reason they moved to the current uniforms when they switched to the edge template. Then they released the Millionaires throwbacks and there was an extremely vocal minority of people saying they should move to those full time.

I’m not saying everyone who wants them wearing the skate full time is just in the “grass-is-greener” mindset, but that’s a big contingent of it. That, and the fact we’re in an era fetishizing 90s nostalgia so you get people saying they should switch to them for that reason, because they’re “lit” “clean” and “fire AF”.

That’s my biggest contention with the skate. I think it’s fine as a 3rd, it fills that niche well, and will hopefully keep the people advocating for it content. Because the Canucks need to just stick to a look at this point. They’re widely mocked for having an “identity crisis”. They’ve worn the blue and green and the orca for longer than anything else at this point. It works. It fits. I would hate for them to drastically downgrade their uniforms on a nostalgia bandwagon when they’ll just start hyping up something else within a decade anyway.

Agreed with that and I wasn’t crazy about the original Orca jersey at first but both the original and current are by far my favourites we have ever had now. Skate should be permanently retired save for use as an alternate moving forward and like I said not a permanent one. Would also like to see a millionaires style alternate in current colours at some point too. 

3 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Agreed with that and I wasn’t crazy about the original Orca jersey at first but both the original and current are by far my favourites we have ever had now. Skate should be permanently retired save for use as an alternate moving forward and like I said not a permanent one. Would also like to see a millionaires style alternate in current colours at some point too. 

Yeah I’m not super crazy about the orca but the thing is I don’t think the Canucks have ever had a truly good logo. Everyone just has their favourites. I used to hate the orca, but now that they’ve removed the wordmark it’s drastically improved and I’ve made my peace with it.

• Cheers 3

3 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

Yep, a cute story with zero truth. :lol:

Actually it's entirely true. It was a suggested marketing ploy from a close friend of the original owner. It never had to do with a cartoon lumberjack and everything to do with the nickname given Canadian military and riding the post war sense of national pride wave. That lumberjack image was added years later as a mascot type image. The team didn't use the JC logo on their jersey until the 60's. The original naming of the team was Canuck = Canadian, not a cartoon lumberjack. 

Edited by Baggins
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, McBackup said:

This is where I think the Aquilini's have missed the boat. So many want change for the sake of change. Getting bored with the same thing season after season. Unfortunately we have radically changed the logo too many times in the first few decades and each have their favorite. The Aquilini's should have been satifying both the change and favorite desire by utilizing the third jersey better. Instead we've the the SiR third for how long? The third should be swapped out every couple of seasons. Then there's the primary identity and fans get to see their favorite, or something new, in use every few years.

2 hours ago, McBackup said:

Yeah I’m not super crazy about the orca but the thing is I don’t think the Canucks have ever had a truly good logo.

SO very much this.

The Stick in Rink is the closest/cleanest (if a bit dull). The skate has a good sense of motion and intimidating (if, as you point out, not "West Coast") colour scheme, but it's a bit of a busy mess visually. The Orca, looks like a poor imitation PNW First Nations artwork of a constipated whale, awkwardly coming out of ice and is overly busy/awkward as well. But the wordmark removal helped that at least marginally.

None of those scream "good logo" though. And likely too late to rectify now.

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1

50 minutes ago, Baggins said:

Actually it's entirely true. It was a suggested marketing ploy from a close friend of the original owner. It never had to do with a cartoon lumberjack and everything to do with the nickname given Canadian military and riding the post war sense of national pride wave. That lumberjack image was added years later as a mascot type image. The team didn't use the JC logo on their jersey until the 60's. The original naming of the team was Canuck = Canadian, not a cartoon lumberjack. 

No I meant the lumberjack story has zero truth. Should have been clearer. 

Edited by canuck73_3
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

No I meant the lumberjack story has zero truth. Should have been clearer. 

Johnny Canuck was a lumberjack as well as a pilot, farmer and soldier. The PCHL/WHL Canucks adapted the lumberjack version of JC in tribute to BC's longstanding lumber industry which, along with the fishing industry, helped build the city of Vancouver.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Tiger-Hearted said:

Johnny Canuck was a lumberjack as well as a pilot, farmer and soldier. The PCHL/WHL Canucks adapted the lumberjack version of JC in tribute to BC's longstanding lumber industry which, along with the fishing industry, helped build the city of Vancouver.

I don't think you'll ever win the majority over, but I appreciate your love and enthusiasm for the JC logo. Personally, I like it a lot as well and wish it was our identity. Maybe this year's throwback will help more fans connect with it, after they see how good it can look, but I doubt it. 

40 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

I don't think you'll ever win the majority over, but I appreciate your love and enthusiasm for the JC logo. Personally, I like it a lot as well and wish it was our identity. Maybe this year's throwback will help more fans connect with it, after they see how good it can look, but I doubt it. 

I think the biggest issue is giving the modernized Johnny Canuck to the Abbotsford team, essentially forcing them to use the goofier, more dated looking "original". Now they're essentially caught between sticking with that one, or updating it again (which I don't think would be the worst thing).

1 hour ago, McBackup said:

I think the biggest issue is giving the modernized Johnny Canuck to the Abbotsford team, essentially forcing them to use the goofier, more dated looking "original". Now they're essentially caught between sticking with that one, or updating it again (which I don't think would be the worst thing).

The big club could use the V logo with JCs head. It's not terrible, but I imagine many have strong opinions against it. 

vancouver-canucks-johnny-v-dark-game-on-images.jpg