The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at New York Rangers | Feb. 27, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

8 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

If a 32 year old Markstrom can play both games of back to backs I’m sure a 26 year old Demko will be fine.

Two days off after and no travel is the key.

Usually Markstrom sucked in the 2nd game of back to backs.  I'm pretty sure he has a losing record.

10 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

If a 32 year old Markstrom can play both games of back to backs I’m sure a 26 year old Demko will be fine.

Two days off after and no travel is the key.

Ian Clark has always said that the way demko plays requires a lot of energy and movement. I’m sure Clark doesn’t want demko in back to back unless absolutely required. 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Viper007 said:

That's why most teams play their backup in one of the two games.  

Most teams don’t have a goalie that’s on an absolute heater right now.

I’ll trust what Clark and Demko decide to do. But if he says he’s good to go and feels fine he should be in.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Most teams don’t have a goalie that’s on an absolute heater right now.

I’ll trust what Clark and Demko decide to do. But if he says he’s good to go and feels fine he should be in.

Boudreau pretty much already has Halak in net.  He's already said it in the interview.  I'm sure Ian and BB had already decided that this was the course of action before this game.

23 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Demko gives us the best chance to win, period.

And we cannot rely on that, we need to get a lot better on D as in overall too. Our positioning could be soooo much better and it gets exposed against elite teams on their game so if it can come from the new roster we have or we need changes, something has to give. 

1 minute ago, Viper007 said:

Boudreau pretty much already has Halak in net.  He's already said it in the interview.  I'm sure Ian and BB had already decided that this was the course of action before this game.

Boudreau guessed it would be him.

Clark makes those decisions. I’m sure he’ll have a chat with Demko and decide at the morning skate.

Loved a lot of what I saw:

- PK is getting better, did not let in a single goal

- scored on the PP

- Bruce Boudreau’s timeout was perfectly timed and he gave it to the guys to wake the f up (meanwhile Green would have stood like a stunned statue)

- 4th line looking good and earning trust which is key in not over exerting your top players 

- Petey is learning how to be stronger on the puck, falling down less and more able to physically reverse/block incoming hits (the Sedins gotta be in on teaching this skill)

Good game. Hogs still struggling though. Hopefully he snaps out of this.

1 hour ago, StiffStick33 said:

This was quietly one of Petey best games. He looked a half step faster and showed flashes of his rookie self. Dangles and mind bending passed are def starting to come back 

2 hours ago, KFan said:

BBs timeout was timely. He was a little pissed and he should have been for that 10 minute lapse of effort. Demko and Hughes amazing again. Garland, Motte and Hughes didn't score, but man I love their skating and keepaway game. And what about that 4th line...the best we've seen for some time.

2 hours ago, 1-d said:

Bruce deserves to give himself the championship belt for today's win.

The Rangers might have been tired on the second game of back to backs after a high emotion game yesterday, And, as usual, Demko made some big saves early and played well overall. But it was still a very impressive game.  One of the  most impressive games this season. The PK was good, the PP converted its one opportunity, and the 5-on-5 play was very good against an excellent team, offensively and defensively,

The guy who has impressed me most is Boudreau. Calling a timeout at the right time was just one example.

One big BB contribution is  developing the the line of Lammiko, Highmore, and Motte. Two of those guys were regarded as pretty much write-offs at the time Boudreau took over.  But he has built their confidence. All the positive things he has said about them in post-game presser have had their effect, as has increased playing time and getting them to play at a fast pace, often with two guys in on the forecheck. If three guys all earning pretty close to NHL minimum can play shut-down against some of the top lines in the NHL and still score and have a positive plus-minus, not to mention penalty killing and playing a high energy game, that is fantastic. 

And BB has doe a great job with Myers.  Today Myers had maybe his most complete game this season. He is finally playing to his potential (at age 32!), and I think BB gets a lot of credit.

I was also really glad to see Petey out there late and get an empty net goal.  He played an excellent game and deserved a point or two. He probably would have had a point or two if he had been playing with better line-mates, but I agree that he is more valuable driving play on a "third" line. 

I had been hoping the Canucks would make a couple of big moves at the deadline to set themselves up for the future, but I can't see JR breaking up the team while it is playing this well.  The one guy I think the Canucks should move if they could is Boeser I like Boeser but the Canucks just cannot afford his QO and, frankly, it is quite a lot more than he is worth given the cap situation.    

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

58 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

He’ll be just as average then.

We have two days off after tomorrow with no travel. It would be different if they had to hop on a plane after, and play a day later.

Tomorrow is 2 points that are very obtainable if they get good goaltending. If they get what they got against the Islanders it’s game over.

lol vancouver have no business being in the playoff race if they can't beat New Jersey backup goalie or not

1 hour ago, Muttley said:

Trent Cull just said he'll be back real soon...He'll get up to speed with Abby. Imagine he'd be available to Vancouver, if needed, then. 

That's great news.  Just to compare, Bone has 21 points in 19 games.  Nils Lundkvist, a 1st round pick in 2018 and top prospect for the Rangers, has 5 points in 16 games.

Bone is gonna be a player.  Just needs a bit more time...

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

That's great news.  Just to compare, Bone has 21 points in 19 games.  Nils Lundkvist, a 1st round pick in 2018 and top prospect for the Rangers, has 5 points in 16 games.

Bone is gonna be a player.  Just needs a bit more time...

Yeah doesn't have a bad outlet pass but his D reads need to be a bit better and faster but that will come with experience, just wish he was 4 inches taller and 30 pounds heavier. At least would have to be paired with someone that size-ish.. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

lol vancouver have no business being in the playoff race if they can't beat New Jersey backup goalie or not

The Devils crushed the Pens on Thursday and the Blues two weeks ago.

They know how to score and can beat you with their skill if you’re not ready for them.

53 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Most teams do.

Your argument doesn’t make sense. If most teams play their backup in the 2nd of back to backs, and most teams have a losing record in the 2nd of back to backs, doesn’t that mean it is a losing strategy?

Just now, Quint said:

Your argument doesn’t make sense. If most teams play their backup in the 2nd of back to backs, and most teams have a losing record in the 2nd of back to backs, doesn’t that mean it is a losing strategy?

Correct.

Which is why I was arguing to play Demko (our starter) The argument makes perfect sense. ;)

• Cheers 1