The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Calgary Flames at Vancouver Canucks | Mar. 19, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

8 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Gonna be honest, it doesn't matter when they want to contend. Wanna know why? Because Colorado will still be the cream of the west for the foreseeable future, Calgary is going to do their best to win over the next few seasons, Vegas will bounce back from their current string of injuries, St. Louis will continue to be solid, Edmonton will go for it so long as they have McDavid.. and on and on. Haven't even touched on the East. The west isn't just going to open up for us over the next 2-3 years. Three years takes Miller to 32, think he'll be playing at a 28 year old level into his mid to late 30's? I strongly doubt it. 

Washington, St. Louis, Tampa, we've watched all these teams beat their heads against a wall come playoff time for years before breaking through and people somehow think the Canucks are going to miraculously waltz their way to a conference or cup final? Give me a break. This team has a lot of work to do before they resemble a contender and Miller likely won't be at his peak by the time we get there.

I'm tired of spinning our wheels in mediocrity and holding onto players too long. This group, or whoever stays, are likely further away than 2-3 years. Let's make the playoffs consistently for a year or three before we gets dreams of contending back into our heads.

Young player struggles with inconsistency, shocking. Yet same said player has put up 66 points in 71 games, 66 points in 68 games, 21 points in 26 games, and has been bouncing back lately to build up to his current 42 points in 60. He's miles ahead of where Miller was a similar age. Hughes is on pace to break 60 points in his third full season.

Those two, plus Demko, are perfectly fine building blocks. It's not risky at all, their bodies of work speak to their caliber and Pettersson just turned 23 in November.  We don't need Miller, we could compete for a playoff spot without him next season if management frees up some cap space, acquires assets, and makes savvy moves in the offseason. 

Many teams do, sure, but wasn't it Rutherford who said we were two years out? That's likely at a minimum. We're not there, Calgary's best players are all in their late 20's or early 30's, they're in a much different place than we are. And unlike us, they've got a competent defense, a solid bottom six, and a top six group that's been producing all season long. 

We aren't anywhere close to be being contenders, but we could be in the mix for a playoff spot as early as next season Miller or no Miller. We don't live and die by Miller, we live and die by Demko. 

Thats a pretty reasonable point, its hard to disagree with any of that. 

One thing that is clear - if we load up on picks and prospects for the 2022 and 2023 drafts, we'll have some very high quality players on ELCs between 2026-2028, which is definitely a recipe for success.
And as long as we dont lose Ian Clarke, we can find the next Demko too, though I expect he'll still be in his prime age 28-32. 

6 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

To be fair it could be because he could have thought they might take away his game tomorrow. 

Boudreau said in his post game presser that he hasn't decided yet who's playing tomorrow, so there was no game to take away.  Boudreau should now 100% play Demko tomorrow so Halak can finally get pissed off enough to waive his NMC for Monday.  Nobody wants him around anymore...

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, eeeeergh said:

One thing that is clear - if we load up on picks and prospects for the 2022 and 2023 drafts, we'll have some very high quality players on ELCs between 2026-2028, which is definitely a recipe for success.
And as long as we dont lose Ian Clarke, we can find the next Demko too, though I expect he'll still be in his prime age 28-32. 

Demko’s going to get a raise after this current deal expires. Unfortunately, I don’t think the Canucks are going to contend within his current contract. They’re most likely going to contend in his next deal. But he’s definitely not getting 5M. Probably looking at least 6.5M, maybe more with the way he’s played this season, if he continues to keep that up. 

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Boudreau said in his post game presser that he hasn't decided yet who's playing tomorrow, so there was no game to take away.  Boudreau should now 100% play Demko tomorrow so Halak can finally get pissed off enough to waive his NMC for Monday.  Nobody wants him around anymore...

I would not be surprised if Demmers gets the start again. But at this rate, they’re running him to the ground. 

• Upvote 3

Just now, eeeeergh said:

I will say, I'm pretty firm about the return of any Miller trading being more focused around grade A prospects, quality players on the cusp of making it, or NHL ready youth as opposed to picks. I'd rather get known quantities in return who are a bit further into their development than anyone we'd draft ourselves. I'm fine with a 1st as part of a package, but a Miller trade shouldn't be built around picks. 

Garland, Boeser, I'm a bit more flexible regarding the return, though I'd prefer to retain Garland.

I don't worry about Demko, goaltenders are much more likely to play at a high level into their mid to late 30's than forwards. D too. Particularly the top end ones, which is the group Demko belongs to. But yeah, we def want to be drafting tenders. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Hate to say it, but it might be a good idea to trade Miller at the TDL. Giving another team 2 playoff tries with him, at his current salary, would be very tempting and the offer could be huge.  Heart and soul, okay sure, but I didn't see any of that tonight. Build around Petey and Hughes, not around Miller.

6 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

To be fair it could be because he could have thought they might take away his game tomorrow. 

For sure, but too bloody bad.

Had the team performed and Demko got the win, Halak would likely be starting tomorrow. As far as we know, as far as what’s been conveyed, and the fact we haven’t seen anything yet in terms of trade, this team is still pushing for the playoffs. Halak knows this and that the fortunes rest on Demko, not him. His play has been inconsistent and poor, and yeah he needs reps to get into form, but he’s rarely shown anything when he gets those chances.

the real rub in all this is people thinking it’s acceptable to react like this.

If it was EP or QH responding to their superior everyone would be up in arms. But because it’s Halak it’s acceptable to act like that? Nah, it’s not.

Do you see Alex Chiasson make a fuss when the bench gets shortened? Nope.

it’s just not representative of a player with a team based mindset. That’s the thing that’s upsetting for me…that entitlement reaction from a veteran G who’s been playing like an AHL sieve. 

if Halak has any success it’s because he’s entirely reliant on the team in front of him. We’ve won many, many games in the past because Demko was our best player, not the other way around. 

And for anyone to think Bruce is giving Halak the short end of the stick here obviously doesn’t care all that much about the mental and physical state of one of our foundational pieces now and for the future. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

8 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Or play Halak, and if craps the bed, don’t play him again for the rest of the season. Man, I wish we could afford to sit him in the box and give Martin some reps but we need that roster spot. 

1 hour ago, Heretic said:

Demko 6.0 GAA and Halak 3.0 GAA that game.  So shut up already about our goal tending.  The issue with the Canucks has been the same the past 11 years - lack of scoring.

Lack of defence too. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Hate to say it, but it might be a good idea to trade Miller at the TDL. Giving another team 2 playoff tries with him, at his current salary, would be very tempting and the offer could be huge.  Heart and soul, okay sure, but I didn't see any of that tonight. Build around Petey and Hughes, not around Miller.

Yeah it’s time. JTM was our identity and even then, it’s still not enough to pull this team together to cover up/smooth out the glaring issues. I’m sentimental about him, but the money play is in moving him out at peak value.

Bruce sometimes must wonder wtf he got himself into. 
There was a few good tries in this game, but wow when they suck they suck. 

New way to get a power play. Lift the guys stick up and hit yourself in the face. 

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Exactly, this isn’t a chicken$hit move by a coach. It’s a mercy play to give the franchise G the rest he needs and to preserve his confidence when the team is not performing in front of him. We’ve seen Demko slip a bit as of late.

I applaud the move.

besides with his recent play, who the F is Halak to be b1tching and moaning?
thank god it’s only a contract for this year.

Gee Demko never pulled that attitude when Halak got lit up last 2 games and had to go in on his rest day

Prima Donna, selfish non teammate move

If he has a problem playing, then team should have same attitude and not paying

Bet he wouldn't have pulled that tonight, if he was still under his bonus games still

• Cheers 3

7 minutes ago, RWJC said:

For sure, but too bloody bad.

Had the team performed and Demko got the win, Halak would likely be starting tomorrow. As far as we know, as far as what’s been conveyed, and the fact we haven’t seen anything yet in terms of trade, this team is still pushing for the playoffs. Halak knows this and that the fortunes rest on Demko, not him. His play has been inconsistent and poor, and yeah he needs reps to get into form, but he’s rarely shown anything when he gets those chances.

the real rub in all this is people thinking it’s acceptable to react like this.

If it was EP or QH responding to their superior everyone would be up in arms. But because it’s Halak it’s acceptable to act like that? Nah, it’s not.

Do you see Alex Chiasson make a fuss when the bench gets shortened? Nope.

it’s just not representative of a player with a team based mindset. That’s the thing that’s upsetting for me…that entitlement reaction from a veteran G who’s been playing like an AHL sieve. 

if Halak has any success it’s because he’s entirely reliant on the team in front of him. We’ve won many, many games in the past because Demko was our best player, not the other way around. 

And for anyone to think Bruce is giving Halak the short end of the stick here obviously doesn’t care all that much about the mental and physical state of one of our foundational pieces now and for the future. 

Agreed.  Boudreau even mentioned the mental side of the game, and was thinking for Demko's mental well being he didn't want to keep him in there the way his defense was playing as Calgary could have ran up the score to 7-0 or 8-0.  That could easily destroy the confidence of even the most experienced goaltender.

Halak should have understood this being a former starter himself and a 15 year veteran.  Instead, all he was worried about was getting his start for tomorrow.  I really hope this pushes him to waive his NMC so he can get the heck out of Vancouver...

Edited by Elias Pettersson

Just now, DJB said:

Bruce sometimes must wonder wtf he got himself into. 
There was a few good tries in this game, but wow when they suck they suck. 

New way to get a power play. Lift the guys stick up and hit yourself in the face. 

Tbh I think it's probably interesting for him - he's going to get to weigh in on how to rebuild this deeply flawed roster. 

1 minute ago, NUCKER67 said:

I thought Cammi Granato looked well rested and fresh, really together. This is concerning. Shouldn't she be exhausted working 18 hour days, looking all haggard?  She doesn't look like she's working hard enough.  :P

Yeah! And Wtf is Green doing - I haven't seen him do any post game press conferences these past 2 months. Guy is just phoning it in apparently. No wonder we lost tonight!

• Haha 1