The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Buffalo Sabres at Vancouver Canucks | Mar. 20, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, T.Demko said:

This team can compete for a playoff clinch, but it isn't built as a cup contender.  There is a very big difference between the two.

Setting ourselves up for 2-3 years down the road, and retooling so we can try to make the playoffs every year also has a vast difference.

We've seen what the latter does for the past decade, how much more do we need to experiment?

The difference here is there is new management and actually have players to re-tool with. We had nothing to play with for re-tooling in the JB era but we tried anyway.

Big difference. 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Says a lot about the team in front of him really. If you need your goaltender to stand on his head every night in order to have a chance of winning you're not a very good team. 

He's covered a lot of warts and flaws for this team this season due to his play, and it's all rather apparent when he's anything less than spectacular. 

Yeah our defense is garbage to be honest.  I think I want a mulligan on that OEL deal.  Other than Hughes and Schenn I’d look at moving everyone else.  Unfortunately nobody is going to take OEL.  He doesn’t play Boudreau type of hockey.  I could see Dermott playing ahead of him to be honest.  At least he has some wheels.

I’d look to move Myers tomorrow and get that $6 million off the books.  That would allow us to free up a lot of cap space and make that OEL contract more manageable.

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

Yeah our defense is garbage to be honest.  I think I want a mulligan on that OEL deal.  Other than Hughes and Schenn I’d look at moving everyone else.  Unfortunately nobody is going to take OEL.  He doesn’t play Boudreau type of hockey.  I could see Dermott playing ahead of him to be honest.  At least he has some wheels.

I’d look to move Myers tomorrow and get that $6 million off the books.  That would allow us to fire up a lot of cape space and make that OEL contract more manageable.

We are better off trying to find a partner for OEL. He was one of the few players that played really well the first half of the season. He has it in him I don’t doubt it. Myers is no longer a fit. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Vinny in Vancouver said:

Maybe it's time for management to acquiesce to the Canucks' players requests and bring up Lockwood from Abbotsford? I keep hearing his name being mentioned: "it's all about Will"; "we need to have Will"; etc.

Quite possible if we move out some guys tomorrow 

5 minutes ago, Devron said:

We are better off trying to find a partner for OEL. He was one of the few players that played really well the first half of the season. He has it in him I don’t doubt it. Myers is no longer a fit. 

Yeah the only way to make it manageable for that contract is to find him a stud partner.  Myers needs to go.  If we can get OEL a stud partner who can cover his defensive issues then at least we can try and make it work.  Myers is not reliable enough in his own end which is why he can’t play with Hughes.  I don’t think he can play with OEL either.  And he shouldn’t be on the 3rd pairing for $6 million.  I’d try hard to move him.  

Edited by Elias Pettersson

5 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I’d look to move Myers tomorrow and get that $6 million off the books.  That would allow us to free up a lot of cap space and make that OEL contract more manageable.

Not disagreeing with you, but OEL is off and I think likely dealing with an injury. He’s needed by this team for this push so likely can’t take any maintenance days. Just don’t think he’d fall off this fast (but I could totally be wrong)

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Trebreh said:

he's suppose to be a shutdown center too.. couldn't even shutdown a defenceman 

He never was and isn't cut out to be. It's like Canucks have been trying to fit a square peg into a round hole year after year.

Bo is a very good 2nd/3rd line centerman who's good with faceoffs and has decent offensive skills. He can score in pp and plays well along the boards, but doesn't have what it takes to match up against & shut down the other team's top lines.

The team hasn't been able to find a true defensive center who can free Bo from the unfitting role, including Dickinson this season.

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yeah the only way to make it manageable for that contract is to find him a stud partner.  Myers needs to go.  If we can get OEL a stud partner who can cover his defensive issues then at least we can try and make it work.  Myers is not reliable anouhg in his own end which is why he can’t play with Hughes.  I don’t think he can play with OEL either.  And he shouldn’t be on the 3rd pairing for $6 million.  I’d try hard to move him.  

I think he’s moveable this summer his NTC becomes a 10 team no trade list and with 2 years left there’s always teams looking for a RH defencemen. Problem is we are going to need one here real quick 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, 1-d said:

He never was and isn't cut out to be. It's like Canucks have been trying to fit a square peg into a round hole year after year.

Bo is a very good 2nd/3rd line centerman who's good with faceoffs and has decent offensive skills. He can score in pp and plays well along the boards, but doesn't have what it takes to match up against & shut down the other team's top lines.

The team hasn't been able to find a true defensive center who can free Bo from the unfitting role, including Dickinson this season.

yea Bo is pretty one dimensional, his lack of playmaking skills is what sets him back as a true #2 center.