The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Will anyone be upset if we get a typical Canucks answer? There was nothing out there.

Rate this topic

Canuckfanforlife82

10 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

It's not a Canucks TDL day if it doesn't end with CDC frothing at the mouth over incompetent management and meddlesome ownership :lol:

We had a GM who doesn't trade expiring players for picks and CDC loses their mind.

Then we get a GM who does trade expiring players for picks and CDC loses their mind.

It's almost like CDC just enjoys having a fit.

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 2

I am ok with it. The management’s hands were tied. The Benning era has hurt us. The biggest reason we can’t make trades is because of our lack of depth and picks. If we had players in the pipeline we could trade a player like Miller. Another big problem is that we overvalued so many of our players that never lived up to the contracts they have and every team sees what we are seeing with those players. They are not that good and teams weren’t lining up to get them. So we are stuck with them for now. I think this new management based on the Hamonic deal is aware of that and is good enough to make deals. It is still going to be difficult in the summer but I think it’s going to show how good our management is when they can deal some of these contracts away and open up cap space. The Benning era really screwed this team over in terms of picks and depth. They just didn’t have a vision.

Well, I have trying to gather my thoughts on this TDL to be able to simply put simple words together......

I find myself getting exhausted, with promises and statements, and in-action

Yesterdays lack of moves in a heated market, have me truly wondering if this will be same old, same old.

Maybe the offers were not there, and/or maybe the discussions were based more on the summer

But I am just tired of the same old............

In saying that, I did like the Hamonic move, but I did not like the Dermott move

The Motte move, I was disappointed in, as I thought it should have been made a week earlier

before all the trades started filling the holes in teams.............

I am left with the same dreaded feeling of almost being in and no evaluation of its realistic chance

Which is the reason IMO, they waited to last day to move Motte

As a Canuck fan, I will suck it up and hope one more time, as I always do, 

but I am getting much more jaded and fickled in my trust of this franchise, so maybe it is just me!

I have to say, I was talking to some of my hockey buddies, who are also Canuck fans

And we all agree that, we are loosing interest in them to some degree...........

The over riding comment was that we are getting tired of watching a improperly built team,

repeatedly doing the same thing over and over again, with no positive results

All agreed, if not for Miller and Demko, we would have been a bottom 10 team, if not lower

I am done for now!

• Upvote 1

J.I.A.H.N

I believe a lot of, Especially long time fans, would admit the same. This treading water has gone on for way too long. The only time I have seen Vcr management ( then under Mr Griffith ) stand up and predict the future was when Pat Quinn was hired and stated. No visiting NHL team will ever enjoy visiting the Pacific Coloseum again. He made that happpen and that was the foundation statement of his days as GM.

without question the Canucks turned in a new and worse direction when Mr Griffith sold the team. He was a hands off owner

• Like 2

On 3/21/2022 at 10:42 AM, 73 Percent said:

Who knows. We have the largest management group in the NHL. So large they can't seem to agree on anything.

I think Alvin & "The Girls" are getting along just fine.......Chipettes Chipmunk GIF - Chipettes Chipmunk Alvin GIFs Can just imagine whats going on in the back rooms !

13 hours ago, Shayster007 said:

We had a GM who doesn't trade expiring players for picks and CDC loses their mind.

Then we get a GM who does trade expiring players for picks and CDC loses their mind.

CDC is not an individual.

These generalizations are BS.

2 hours ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

Well, I have trying to gather my thoughts on this TDL to be able to simply put simple words together......

I find myself getting exhausted, with promises and statements, and in-action

Yesterdays lack of moves in a heated market, have me truly wondering if this will be same old, same old.

Maybe the offers were not there, and/or maybe the discussions were based more on the summer

But I am just tired of the same old............

In saying that, I did like the Hamonic move, but I did not like the Dermott move

The Motte move, I was disappointed in, as I thought it should have been made a week earlier

I am left with the same dreaded feeling of almost being in and no evaluation of its realistic chance

Which is the reason IMO, they waited to last day to move Motte

As a Canuck fan, I will suck it up and hope one more time, as I always do, 

but I am getting much more jaded and fickled in my trust of this franchise, so maybe it is just me!

I have to say, I was talking to some of my hockey buddies, who are also Canuck fans

And we all agree that, we are loosing interest in them to some degree...........

The over riding comment was that we are getting tired of watching a improperly built team,

repeatedly doing the same thing over and over again, with no positive results

All agreed, if not for Miller and Demko, we would have been a bottom 10 team, if not lower

I am done for now!

Hey!  And:  Oh no you don't!

C'mon Jan; we're counting on you here.

Step away from the cliff Bud.

Game Day Tomorrow.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Goal:thecup said:

CDC is not an individual.

These generalizations are BS.

No CDC is a group of individuals, and when a group are all acting in a general manor it's an observation on how the group is reacting to a situation. Regardless, you're taking it to seriously.

Just now, Shayster007 said:

No CDC is a group of individuals, and when a group are all acting in a general manor it's an observation on how the group is reacting to a situation. Regardless, you're taking it to seriously.

I am just sick of these CDC this and CDC that, it is BS.

Same as the old lie: Canuck fans rioted; we did not riot.

I am tired of being lumped in with any of these ridiculous generalizations.

It contributes 'less than zero' to the discussions.

Just now, Goal:thecup said:

I am just sick of these CDC this and CDC that, it is BS.

Same as the old lie: Canuck fans rioted; we did not riot.

I am tired of being lumped in with any of these ridiculous generalizations.

It contributes 'less than zero' to the discussions.

Jokes folks, I'm not gonna stop making CDC generalizations because I find it funny. I have been an active member for nearly 16 years, I know how great this place is, but also recognize it's flaws. I'm sorry if you don't like reading it, but it's just a contribution to a fan forum.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Goal:thecup said:

I am reconciled to all of it; and I like both defenceman moves; Motte I wanted to hang on for the run we are on NOW, but Richie is a decent RHC which was a hole in the lineup, and we got a late next year 4th, and saved some cap room (the diff between Motte's and Richie's I guess) so ok.

But I get your point about you and your friends maybe, kinda agreeing with new mngt but having heard it all before and it is icky.

Make some new proposals for the upcoming stages; this is still a heck of a lot of fun even if the TDL was excruciatingly sluggy.

At this point, we still have a darn good team, that still has a hell of a run going since Bruce, could ramp it up again, and blow the Marchanding Doors Off The Marchanding League, and go on to Win The Stanley Cup!  That is, imo, what it is all about.

GO CANUCKS GO!!

GO BO!   GO MILLSY!

LET'S DO THIS!!

On 3/21/2022 at 9:57 AM, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

I am sort of on the fence about trades being made today. The one thing I do get tired of is that there was nothing out there when other teams seem to find trades to make. I really think they have to, have to deal Motte. You can't let him walk for nothing. Other than that, it would surprise me if they do much this trade deadline. I think alot of their work will be in the offseason. I just want to know if anyone will be upset if they don't do much?

What?

I don't think management were really pressed to do much this trade deadline. They accomplished their mission to start getting our cap lowered. Good on them. It's a start, and we're rid of the Hamonic dramas off the ice and/or in the locker room.

I liked Motte a lot, but with the raise he would've demanded, he had to go. It only made sense. Dude's valuable to a playoff bound team more than he was to us. 

Dermot, to me is a Leivo type acquisition. I'm excited to see what he can contribute the rest of the season.

On 3/21/2022 at 9:57 AM, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

I am sort of on the fence about trades being made today. The one thing I do get tired of is that there was nothing out there when other teams seem to find trades to make. I really think they have to, have to deal Motte. You can't let him walk for nothing. Other than that, it would surprise me if they don’t do much this trade deadline. I think alot of their work will be in the offseason. I just want to know if anyone will be upset if they don't do much?

I honestly didn't expect much of anything if anything at all. We didn't have much of any value when it came to pending ufa's. The rest, under contract past this season, there was no reason to move them unless the offer blew them away. The only surprise, and I was happy with it, was trading away a Hamonic and getting a younger d-man.

On 3/21/2022 at 11:29 PM, Shayster007 said:

I agree. I laughed quite a bit over the reaction to Motte getting traded. I liked Motte, but at the end of the day if he was asking too much you move him. The funny flipside is fans complained about Benning paying 4th liners too much as well.

Although Benning didn't do anything different at the deadline than what the majority of GM's do imo. In the playoff picture you don't trade your pending ufa's. Out of the playoffs you try to. Key word there is 'try'.Something all GM's face, and fans love to ignore, is that ntc's can hinder, or even block deadline deals. Meaning some pending ufa's won't get moved. Two things have to happen with ntc ufa's, first they have to be willing to waive, and second the teams they're willing to go to need to actually have interest in acquiring them. If both of those conditions don't happen the player won't get moved.

For example, Benning moved both Burrows and Hansen at the deadline because both were willing to go to teams that actually wanted them. The year before he tried to move Vrbata and Hamhuis. Vrbata gave a bogus list, several on his list out of the playoff, because he just didn't want to be moved. He even publicly admitted he did that. Hamhuis gave two teams, one (Chicago) wasn't interested and the other (Dallas) him as their second choice. Dallas got their first choice from calgary and then offered peanuts for Hamhuis. Benning, understanably, flipped them the bird. Washington made an offer for Hamhuis but he refused to go there. Benning did exeactly the same thing at both deadlines. He just had different results in each because of ntc's. Fans were mad at Benning for Hamhuis and Vrbata walking when they should have actually been mad at the players for tying his hands.

• Upvote 1