The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Arizona Coyotes | Apr. 07, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Also. 

The NHL needs to stop Zona and other bottom feeders from racing for the bottom.  

If the goal is parity, what is going on there is a tire fire.  

The coyotes would look better in Quebec.  

Heck, they would be playing better hockey in Regina.  They are barely AHL.  

maybe it’s time to add a club but also create relegation, like the British Footy Premier League.

the bottom team is relegated to the AHL and the top AHL team is brought up.  

I would rather watch guys battle for a real pay check and a last shot at the big league than washed up stars play for the cheap seats.  

it would change things for those pros, if they had to catch buses vs fly first class.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SilentSam said:

You’ve obviously been condemned for life from something lol.

Every one plays contract to contract..

it’s a different decision every time .

My work is contractual,  year to year..

sometimes with people I’ve worked with before, sometime new people.

Not sure I understand your first point. Fact of the matter is that Tryamkin had multiple opportunities to sign with us and elected not to. He's 28 now. That ship has sailed. It is what is is. Sure, we can take it contract by contract if you want, that's still 1 time he's quit on us and 2 times he's signed elsewhere instead of with us. The fact we even care anymore is pathetic. 

Let's also not forget that his agent used us and hinted a possible return just to leverage more money in his last contract. We literally got played

Edited by HorvatToBaertschi
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, CanucksFan8353 said:

Just as an aside, Bo Horvat seems like an amazing man, the perfect successor to Henrik Sedin, and I would quite literally trust him with my life.  He's all in on this team.  It's awesome that we traded Corey Schneider, who ended up being no good, for this legend at the 2013 draft!  Hopefully, we have him from his draft to his retirement:canucks:

I could see horvat asking for 8 million x 7 next  contract.

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Not sure I understand your first point. Fact of the matter is that Tryamkin had multiple opportunities to sign with us and elected not to. He's 28 now. That ship has sailed. It is what is is. Sure, we can take it contract by contract if you want, that's still 1 time he's quit on us and 2 times he's signed elsewhere instead of with us. The fact we even care anymore is pathetic. 

Let's also not forget that his agent used us and hinted a possible return just to leverage more money in his last contract. We literally got played

Who's we? I doubt one person that cares lol 

As much as I loved this win, everyone has to remember it’s not very impressive.   It’s Arizona!!    Let them do this to Tampa, or Florida…. Or even Detroit, that will be impressive. !    
Arizona is a team that makes guys like chaisson look like a sniper!!

3 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Can't just let our best players walk when they earn money. That's what lands you in Florida Panthers 2010-2020.

That's going to be a choice the Canucks have to make though.  There are very few forwards making $8M AAV or more across the league.  If the Canucks really do re-sign Miller, then there's a good chance his contract could be north of $8M AAV. Pettersson's current deal ends in 2 years and if he keeps up his production from the last 30+ games over the next 2 years, then he's going to demand a significant raise too, presumably more than $8M AAV also.  I can see the Canucks trying to keep Miller, Pettersson and Horvat as their top-3 Cs, but not at $8M+ each.  In that care, even if the cap rose to $100M, those 3 players would take up about a quarter of the entire cap.

As it stands, the Canucks already need to reallocate cap space for next year if they really want to make any meaningful changes for next season.  This mostly means making some changes with the D core, but the most immediate decision (as far as an actual free agent) is Boeser.  If they can re-sign him below his QO then great, but that will impact available cap space for Miller, Horvat and eventually Pettersson's new contract too.

It's been good to see Bo turn his season around and doing so makes management's decision making all the more complex.  If the Canucks prioritize keeping Bo and spend money on wingers while also trying to rebuild the D, then that signals to me that Miller is gone.  If Miller's traded however, then that leaves the Canucks with weaker C depth again unless they can get at least a decent top-9 C in return.

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

9 hours ago, canuckpuckluck1 said:

I know it was only Arizona but Lockwood is an NHLer. Ive seen enough in the last two games to say he should be cost effective bottom six player who wont lose you games!!!

I wanna see him play with lammy 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

That's going to be a choice the Canucks have to make though.  There are very few forwards making $8M AAV or more across the league.  If the Canucks really do re-sign Miller, then there's a good chance his contract could be north of $8M AAV. Pettersson's current deal ends in 2 years and if he keeps up his production from the last 30+ games over the next 2 years, then he's going to demand a significant raise too, presumably more than $8M AAV also.  I can see the Canucks trying to keep Miller, Pettersson and Horvat as their top-3 Cs, but not at $8M+ each.  In that care, even if the cap rose to $100M, those 3 players would take up about a quarter of the entire cap.

As it stands, the Canucks already need to reallocate cap space for next year if they really want to make any meaningful changes for next season.  This mostly means making some changes with the D core, but the most immediate decision (as far as an actual free agent) is Boeser.  If they can re-sign him below his QO then great, but that will impact available cap space for Miller, Horvat and eventually Pettersson's new contract too.

It's been good to see Bo turn his season around and doing so makes management's decision making all the more complex.  If the Canucks prioritize keeping Bo and spend money on wingers while also trying to rebuild the D, then that signals to me that Miller is gone.  If Miller's traded however, then that leaves the Canucks with weaker C depth again unless they can get at least a decent top-9 C in return.

I'd rather keep BO than an aging Miller at that point. Still I don't think he gets 8 anyway. Other teams have lots of success having a high salary core. It's the way the NHL is headed. 

Rather pay all our big guys their money than rid of them and spend the saving on Dickenson. And poolman. And OEL. And halak. And buyouts. And cap penalties.

I guess what I'm saying is it's more than doable for teams whom can manage cap well. We need to be one of those teams again.

Edited by 73 Percent
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Phat Fingers said:

So, three thirty goal scorers by season end.  

Brock has to be moved, he would have had twenty and could have more, but injury.  

From the teams play, he isn’t missed… 4.5 for Garland or 7.5 for Brock.  

I would rather that 7.5 go to the defence and whatever money saved from the defence after that money is spent only to improve the defence, then the 2 m or so for Poolman or whoever is moved out for the roster spot gets spend on a decent third liner.  

we have the fire power, we need the defence before the fire power costs too much, Ala Edmonton and TO.  

Love Brock, but do we really need him… it’s a the biggest question at this time.  

can a trade be made, Brock for a RHD and or first to draft the RHD.  

we can win without the extra forward.  

AZ shouldn't be allowed to pick in the top 10 as long as they are playing in a college rink. Its just a joke. Why even ice a team, just play the AZ virtually on some game platform and count it in the standings, give the boys a night off. 

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

I'd rather keep BO than an aging Miller at that point. Still I don't think he gets 8 anyway.

I agree $8M+ is way too much for Bo.  That's probably top 15-20 Cs in the league type money.  Bo has made the most of the season in its latter half but not nearly enough to justify that kind of money.  Even if we use someone like Joe Pavelski as a comparable at the same age, he was paid at about 6.73% of the cap at the time which would be equivalent to what Bo's currently being paid, $5.5M AAV.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Boudrias said:

Totally agree on your Podz comments. As a 20 year old his vision on the ice is excellent. The Horvat setup but another 3-4 passes that created good chances. 

Another shutout on Lockwood's play. One shift where he laid a nice hit and then Burroughs followed up. Bang-bang! Lockwood is adjusting to the NHL game very well. The speed is not catching him much. I think he nails a spot next fall. Looking forward to his Calder play. Imagine how he and Podz will shine! 

It was good to see, but we also really need all 3 next year with our cap crunch. Podz doesn't look out of place with Bo (maybe this is the preview to see if they are comfortable moving Pearson?). New Burr certainly looks to be a safe bet for a 7/8 spot next season as well. 

• Cheers 2