The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Arizona Coyotes at Vancouver Canucks | Apr. 14, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

In response to those asking why miller wants to stay or why people think he will re sign.

I could ask the same thing about people assuming he wants to leave.

I think people underestimate the human connection.  Miller knows the team, staff, day in and day out routines in Vancouver. He has the trust of coaching staff, plays in every situation, when the game is on the line. 

He isn't guaranteed to get that if he moves on. I think people need to take their blinders off and understand there is a lot more that goes into miller's decision then just money. 

I'm not saying definitively he stays or goes but fans in general need to give more understanding to fact players are people too. Moving is hard and starting over in a new city, with a family is even harder. 

Edited by Codez27
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Zhukini said:

You also have to realize when a player is having a one off season. 

JT has NEVER been a 90 point player before, and I'd be willing to bet he doesn't reach that again. Sell as high as you can this offseason. 

It's called prime years for a reason...  and he has at least a few of those left.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

This is the argument that keeps being made, however I have yet to see a viable trade proposal that makes sense for both teams.  Also, if Vancouver shouldn't re-sign Miller to a 7 or 8 year extension then what other team will do it?

This.  If the Canucks don't sign him to an 8 year 8+ deal after what he has done here, why would anyone else, especially a contender.  I think he sees the potential on this tea, especially with how this season has progressed.  The question I would pose is:

What team, who is in a better current or long term situation to win has the money to pay him more than we will?  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Zhukini said:

You also have to realize when a player is having a one off season. 

JT has NEVER been a 90 point player before, and I'd be willing to bet he doesn't reach that again. Sell as high as you can this offseason. 

This is not a one off. Miller averaged over a point a game in his first 2 years here. Now he is just getting better. Why will he suddenly regress so quickly in the next 3-4 years? 

• Like 2

You trade Miller you need to replace:

- 90+ points (Conservatively 60-75 per season)

- Someone who takes over 1000 face-offs, has 53% win percentage.

- 160+ Hits

So if you can figure out a trade that improves on all those areas, or improves your defence radically. 

I'm all ears. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

At what point  do you look at your team and say we have the players that we need to compete for a cup. After cutting loose the dead weight coach this team is playing at a level even the most ardent supporters would have to admit we would not have thought capable.If Miller can be worked in under the cap i say we keep him. He has broken out as a 100 point player partly because he has the drive we need from a leader on the team and partly because he was given the chance the Canucks afforded him. would we like an upgrade on RHD? absolutely, do you trade your leading scorer to get that? Im not so sure that a good idea.

Like i suggested earlier if you want cap space Brock is the easiest target given his contract situation and that the team continues to win without him in the lineup. Instead of 7 mill to BB how about 9 to Miller and 2 more Million in cap space to sign someone else. at least we know what we have in Miller, a draft pick that doesnt pan out is a crap shoot IMHO

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Like I said, I am all for trading Miller if the right deal comes along, but as of yet no one including yourself has put out a trade proposal that makes sense for both teams.  And the clock is ticking...

Well the main window has passed for a team like the NYR, but Im fine with Lundqvist, Chytil and a first at the draft

12 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The last time Miller had 40 points or less in a season was when he was 22...

Yes.  Miller could be a 40 point guy when he's 35/36.   Or maybe when he's 40.    Who knows and who cares.   Let's just enjoy his freaking amazing season on the way to 100.   Let's worry about tomorrow at the draft. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

1 minute ago, CaptKirk888 said:

This is not a one off. Miller averaged over a point a game in his first 2 years here. Now he is just getting better. Why will he suddenly regress so quickly in the next 3-4 years? 

He'll likely be as good for the next 2, maybe three years.......in the ball park at least 

It's the 6 year anchor after that, where they'll have to jettison a Petey or Hughes because of miller. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

You trade Miller you need to replace:

- 90+ points (Conservatively 60-75 per season)

- Someone who takes over 1000 face-offs, has 53% win percentage.

- 160+ Hits

So if you can figure out a trade that improves on all those areas, or improves your defence radically. 

I'm all ears. 

Exactly.  Show me the trade proposals.  Schneider, Kravtsov and a 1st doesn't really do it for me.  Will the Rangers add Lafreniere to the deal?  Do they need another $8.5 million centre on top of Zibanejad?  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mikeyman109 said:

At what point  do you look at your team and say we have the players that we need to compete for a cup. After cutting loose the dead weight coach this team is playing at a level even the most ardent supporters would have to admit we would not have thought capable.If Miller can be worked in under the cap i say we keep him. He has broken out as a 100 point player partly because he has the drive we need from a leader on the team and partly because he was given the chance the Canucks afforded him. would we like an upgrade on RHD? absolutely, do you trade your leading scorer to get that? Im not so sure that a good idea.

Like i suggested earlier if you want cap space Brock is the easiest target given his contract situation and that the team continues to win without him in the lineup. Instead of 7 mill to BB how about 9 to Miller and 2 more Million in cap space to sign someone else. at least we know what we have in Miller, a draft pick that doesnt pan out is a crap shoot IMHO

I'd say they're 3-4 years from being real contenders, maybe 5. 

Just now, stawns said:

He'll likely be as good for the next 2, maybe three years.......in the ball park at least 

It's the 6 year anchor after that, where they'll have to jettison a Petey or Hughes because of miller. 

We don't know that.   The Sedins signed a 4 year deal after a couple PPG seasons.  

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

Exactly.  Show me the trade proposals.  Schneider, Kravtsov and a 1st doesn't really do it for me.  Will the Rangers add Lafreniere to the deal?  Do they need another $8.5 million centre on top of Zibanejad?  

At $5.5m a year, you bet they do.