The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Team Canada unveils 2022 IIHF World Championship roster

Rate this topic

31 minutes ago, StanleyCupOneDay said:

If you watch the games you’ll see that statement isn’t true. They aren’t average, not anymore at least. It used to be Canada, US, Sweden and Finland as the teams that basically steam roll every other team in contention, but that’s changing as each year other country’s players and programs continue improving. It’s very entertaining hockey if you took the time to watch it. Definitely better then some of the playoff games we’ve already seen and I always enjoy watching Canada’s team in any sport.

Our arch nemesis is the US, always has been and always will be. Russia and Belarus being expelled was the right thing to do. They shouldn’t be allowed to compete in any sports until the insanity in invading Ukraine ends. I hope you’d feel similar.

Arch nemesis will be Russia and always will be.  The American rivalry ends with sports.  The Russians are the enemy.  Been that way for 50 years.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Arch nemesis will be Russia and always will be.  The American rivalry ends with sports.  The Russians are the enemy.  Been that way for 50 years.

That used to be the case. Our arch rivals currently are absolutely team USA. I don’t think our rivalry ends in sports either, but that’s a different topic.

19 minutes ago, StanleyCupOneDay said:

That used to be the case. Our arch rivals currently are absolutely team USA. I don’t think our rivalry ends in sports either, but that’s a different topic.

I don't think we're sending weapons to foreign countries to kill Americans.  I've been to USA-Russia games.  The Canadians were cheering for the Americans, and the American fans were a hell of a lot more fun to hang out with afterwards.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I don't think we're sending weapons to foreign countries to kill Americans.  I've been to USA-Russia games.  The Canadians were cheering for the Americans, and the American fans were a hell of a lot more fun to hang out with afterwards.

Right now Russia is absolutely the enemy of the western world for obvious reasons. However, before the war there wasn’t that level of animosity towards the country. If you mean right this second that Russia is Canada’s arch rival then yeah I’d agree with you, but if you instead take a look at a longer time frame it’s definitely America for me.

As for hockey Russia decided any player even close to the west shouldn’t play on their hockey teams anymore and as a result completely faceplanted when they did play. It’s no longer considered a hockey power house or rival in the sport.

Using the sentiment at a hockey game as evidence of a country’s rivalry is completely oversimplifying things.

21 minutes ago, StanleyCupOneDay said:

Right now Russia is absolutely the enemy of the western world for obvious reasons. However, before the war there wasn’t that level of animosity towards the country. If you mean right this second that Russia is Canada’s arch rival then yeah I’d agree with you, but if you instead take a look at a longer time frame it’s definitely America for me.

As for hockey Russia decided any player even close to the west shouldn’t play on their hockey teams anymore and as a result completely faceplanted when they did play. It’s no longer considered a hockey power house or rival in the sport.

Using the sentiment at a hockey game as evidence of a country’s rivalry is completely oversimplifying things.

As for the rest of my post, which happened pre-invasion?  Americans were happy to enjoy a friendly beer after the games.  Russians poured beer on us and wanted to fight.  No question at all for me.

• Upvote 1

Canada vs Slovakia.

Holy cow what a game! Battle of the goalies, that was incredible to watch. It’s now Thompson’s net to lose. The score didn’t do Husk justice. He made some insane saves. After the 4th Slovakia basically gave up, but the first half of the game they pushed Canada to the limit. Fantastic hockey. The Superman save just encapsulated this match perfectly.

Take a look at this beauty:

Edited by StanleyCupOneDay
  • Like 2

On 5/9/2022 at 2:19 PM, RUPERTKBD said:

Yet another reason to be disappointed at the Canucks missing the playoffs....it totally benefits Teams USA and Sweden.....<_<

And Finland’s got Juho Lammikko! 

Edited by viking mama

On 5/16/2022 at 11:21 AM, King Heffy said:

Russia ain’t in it.  

My fear is that Putin is so stung by this perceived attempt to hurt him & embarrass his nation’s pride…that he prevents Russian players who have returned home from the NHL, from leaving Russia soil to rejoin their NHL clubs - in retaliation. As a dictator, who holds onto foreign nationals as pawns, he believe he could very easily do this, to his own citizens. 

Putin’s just that crazy, possibly sick  & vindictive - and he is certainly obsessed enough to try & flip the optics of everything around by playing some ‘tit for tat’ propaganda games with NATO countries & the rest of the world! 

Edited by viking mama
  • Sad 2

7 minutes ago, viking mama said:

Russia ain’t in it. 

My fear is that Putin is stung enough by this attempt to hurt him & his nation’s pride…that he prevents the Russian players returning home from the NHL, from leaving Russia to rejoin their NHL clubs in retaliation.

^Hey, it could happen. He’s just that crazy & vindictive - and certainly obsessed enough to try & flip the optics of everything by playing some tit for tat propaganda games with NATO countries & the west! 

Unlikely due to Ovechkin's pursuit of Gretzky's record.

18 minutes ago, viking mama said:

Russia ain’t in it. 

My fear is that Putin is stung enough by this attempt to hurt him & his nation’s pride…that he prevents the Russian players returning home from the NHL, from leaving Russia to rejoin their NHL clubs in retaliation.

^Hey, it could happen. He’s just that crazy & vindictive - and certainly obsessed enough to try & flip the optics of everything by playing some tit for tat propaganda games with NATO countries & the west! 

Or even scarier,  he lets them back home and doesnt let them leave.

20 hours ago, EddieVedder said:

Or even scarier,  he lets them back home and doesnt let them leave.

^That’s what I meant. If the war goes on - that could be a legitimate consequence of isolating Russia & barring their national teams from competing. Gllobal protestations against his invasion of Ukraine are warranted. Penalties for enabling wide-spread blood/doping of amateur athletes, young gymnasts & figure skating minors, etc, should continue. But, he’s gonna be pissed!

Don’t go Podz! 

Edited by viking mama
  • Cheers 1

12 hours ago, viking mama said:

^That’s what mean. If the war goes on - that’s a very legitimate consequence of isolating Russia & barring their national teams from competing… as NATO & global protestation against invading Ukraine & for enabling wide-spread  blood/doping of athletes, even minors, etc. 

Don’t go Podz! 

Hopefully he stays with Myers over the offseason.

On 5/16/2022 at 11:21 AM, King Heffy said:

I agree in a roundabout way with both you and StanleyCupOneDay.  They are different enemies, hated for different reasons.

From a pure talent POV, the US has clearly caught up to Russia, and probably surpassed them. I mean Demko, Miller and Hughes are proving that on our own team. So for that reason, they have won against us lately more than Russia. So naturally there is a rivalry on the ice. Naturally from who beat us last.  But not so much off the ice.

I agree though, Russia is our arch nemesis because we have a hockey history with them that goes back many decades. Nothing will come close to the '72 Summit Series. And after the NHL allowed players into the Olympics, it was a proper matchup.  Even the World Juniors it was Canada / Russia that was always the most popular games.

My only issue with your argument would be you mentioned about Canada cheering for the Americans against Russia.  I don't know what game that was but I think its the opposite, at least before present day Putin's antics.  In fact Don Cherry famously got hot under his massive collar because he heard Canadian fans in Ottawa cheer FOR Russia and against the USA in the '96 World Cup.   Unconscionable for a cold war baby. 

That was the perfect nutshell to explain our complicated relationship with these two countries.

https://montrealgazette.com/sports/tsn-has-some-fun-with-the-hangover-l-a-kings-edition

September 1996: Cherry blasted Canadian fans for cheering for Russia over the U.S during a World Cup of Hockey match. He called the lack of support for Canada’s southern neighbour “a disgrace,” and said Canada would rely on Americans if attacked by a foreign power.

But IMO, what Cherry did not understand, but should have if his worship of all things USA didn't get in the way, was that Canadian hockey fans have always had a deep respect for Russian hockey because they, unlike our American neighbours, actually understood and loved the game waaaaaaaaay before the US.  Have you seen pics of those giant packed arenas from the 40's in Russia? They won more gold medals pre-NHL admission, than any country. They were dedicated to the sport we invented.  Immense respect culturally to that society that, even with its faults, saw what we saw.  Hockey is the greatest team sport on Earth.  I always thought Cherry missed the boat on that.

The US is a wealthy country with 10x the population as us, and has every advantage a modern western democracy has to build a dominant international hockey system.  They are almost like the wealthy rich kid that buys his way onto the team. Gets the best and latest equipment, expensive trainers, and coaches, and viola....they are competitors. Canadian hockey fans just respect Russian's culture of honest love of the game more for that reason. So there is a mutual rivalry based on that deep historical respect for the game. That is missing against a US team. 

Russia / Canada match games are felt more deeply because we are fighting to find out who is the best in the world at the great sport of hockey from two countries with a long history of respecting it.

USA / Canada match games are only important to find out which North American country can brag about having the best players or most clutch players, to win a sporting event.  Its not as much about respect for the game. Its also about Canadians clinging to one sport we can lord over Americans, our closest rival.  For the few Americans that even care to watch a match like that...its whatever, when is the football game on.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, kilgore said:

My only issue with your argument would be you mentioned about Canada cheering for the Americans against Russia.  I don't know what game that was but I think its the opposite, at least before present day Putin's antics.  In fact Don Cherry famously got hot under his massive collar because he heard Canadian fans in Ottawa cheer FOR Russia and against the USA in the '96 World Cup.   Unconscionable for a cold war baby. 

Ostrava at the WJHC.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, kilgore said:

I agree in a roundabout way with both you and StanleyCupOneDay.  They are different enemies, hated for different reasons.

From a pure talent POV, the US has clearly caught up to Russia, and probably surpassed them. I mean Demko, Miller and Hughes are proving that on our own team. So for that reason, they have won against us lately more than Russia. So naturally there is a rivalry on the ice. Naturally from who beat us last.  But not so much off the ice.

I agree though, Russia is our arch nemesis because we have a hockey history with them that goes back many decades. Nothing will come close to the '72 Summit Series. And after the NHL allowed players into the Olympics, it was a proper matchup.  Even the World Juniors it was Canada / Russia that was always the most popular games.

That was the perfect nutshell to explain our complicated relationship with these two countries.

https://montrealgazette.com/sports/tsn-has-some-fun-with-the-hangover-l-a-kings-edition

September 1996: Cherry blasted Canadian fans for cheering for Russia over the U.S during a World Cup of Hockey match. He called the lack of support for Canada’s southern neighbour “a disgrace,” and said Canada would rely on Americans if attacked by a foreign power.

But IMO, what Cherry did not understand, but should have if his worship of all things USA didn't get in the way, was that Canadian hockey fans have always had a deep respect for Russian hockey because they, unlike our American neighbours, actually understood and loved the game waaaaaaaaay before the US.  Have you seen pics of those giant packed arenas from the 40's in Russia? They won more gold medals pre-NHL admission, than any country. They were dedicated to the sport we invented.  Immense respect culturally to that society that, even with its faults, saw what we saw.  Hockey is the greatest team sport on Earth.  I always thought Cherry missed the boat on that.

The US is a wealthy country with 10x the population as us, and has every advantage a modern western democracy has to build a dominant international hockey system.  They are almost like the wealthy rich kid that buys his way onto the team. Gets the best and latest equipment, expensive trainers, and coaches, and viola....they are competitors. Canadian hockey fans just respect Russian's culture of honest love of the game more for that reason. So there is a mutual rivalry based on that deep historical respect for the game. That is missing against a US team. 

Russia / Canada match games are felt more deeply because we are fighting to find out who is the best in the world at the great sport of hockey from two countries with a long history of respecting it.

USA / Canada match games are only important to find out which North American country can brag about having the best players or most clutch players, to win a sporting event.  Its not as much about respect for the game. Its also about Canadians clinging to one sport we can lord over Americans, our closest rival.  For the few Americans that even care to watch a match like that...its whatever, when is the football game on.

What went on during the Cold War wasn't as much about love of the game as it was political bonus points if your team could beat the West. Read some of those stories of how Red Army players were treated. Pretty brutal. Not so hard to believe now that you can read about young Russian boys going into the army and being hazed to the point of suicide. I don't share your warm and fuzzies. 

I went to Moscow in '74 and saw a little bit of what was going on there. Little boys trading trinkets in exchange for gum and then having KGB types rough them up and take everything from them. Nothing about culture it was gestapo type stuff. 

We used to take hockey teams down to Spokane when my son was in minor hockey. When the boys were younger they would bounce the American teams 20 - 1 type games. Our kids had more puck skills and individually would beat the American kids easily. What was different was the American coaching. Their kids didn't have the puck skills but they were being taught position and fundamentals. By the time my boy was in bantam those American teams were competitive. What is different today for my grandkids is Hockey Canada. Big change as Canadian coaching took a big leap forward. Don't tell me that the American kids don't love the game, they do. One of their biggest problems is ice time as their arenas are usually not subsidized as much as ours are. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

What went on during the Cold War wasn't as much about love of the game as it was political bonus points if your team could beat the West. Read some of those stories of how Red Army players were treated. Pretty brutal. Not so hard to believe now that you can read about young Russian boys going into the army and being hazed to the point of suicide. I don't share your warm and fuzzies. 

I went to Moscow in '74 and saw a little bit of what was going on there. Little boys trading trinkets in exchange for gum and then having KGB types rough them up and take everything from them. Nothing about culture it was gestapo type stuff. 

We used to take hockey teams down to Spokane when my son was in minor hockey. When the boys were younger they would bounce the American teams 20 - 1 type games. Our kids had more puck skills and individually would beat the American kids easily. What was different was the American coaching. Their kids didn't have the puck skills but they were being taught position and fundamentals. By the time my boy was in bantam those American teams were competitive. What is different today for my grandkids is Hockey Canada. Big change as Canadian coaching took a big leap forward. Don't tell me that the American kids don't love the game, they do. One of their biggest problems is ice time as their arenas are usually not subsidized as much as ours are. 

Interesting observations.

I agree that the Russians probably were not kind to their players. Russia has never had a real democracy. Its being run now by a Fascistic Russian Mafia with Putin as the Godfather.  No doubt many young men, barley men even, have been used as cannon fodder for Putin in Ukraine.

And I don't doubt the American young men who play hockey love the sport as much as a young Canadian or Russian for that matter. And USA Hockey has made great strides.

I was talking more in the general sense from the fans point of view, not players or coaches.  Why the USSR chose Canada's sport of hockey to try and master.  They did have arenas full of fans as early as the 40's.  The Russian hockey fans, who there surely were plenty, must have loved watching the sport too.  Unless you are also saying they were forced into the arenas to watch, which I don't think you are.

Whereas the US hockey fans were limited to a few cities, in the northern parts.  We had to give them Wayne Gretzky to begin a fandom in California. Even now, fans are mostly reduced to the cities with an NHL team.

Whether Russian born players were forced to get good.....they were.  And the players that play at the highest level must still love the game, even if there is abuse.  Look how Pavel Bure just loved to score.

The horror stories about living in Russia is another topic. I'm just saying we share a much longer history with Russia as the only nation that considered hockey as a premium sport from early in the last century. I think Canadian fans respect that track record from a hockey loving nation, and thats why they cheered for Russia over the US in '96 much to Cherry's chagrin.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, kilgore said:

Interesting observations.

I agree that the Russians probably were not kind to their players. Russia has never had a real democracy. Its being run now by a Fascistic Russian Mafia with Putin as the Godfather.  No doubt many young men, barley men even, have been used as cannon fodder for Putin in Ukraine.

And I don't doubt the American young men who play hockey love the sport as much as a young Canadian or Russian for that matter. And USA Hockey has made great strides.

I was talking more in the general sense from the fans point of view, not players or coaches.  Why the USSR chose Canada's sport of hockey to try and master.  They did have arenas full of fans as early as the 40's.  The Russian hockey fans, who there surely were plenty, must have loved watching the sport too.  Unless you are also saying they were forced into the arenas to watch, which I don't think you are.

Whereas the US hockey fans were limited to a few cities, in the northern parts.  We had to give them Wayne Gretzky to begin a fandom in California. Even now, fans are mostly reduced to the cities with an NHL team.

Whether Russian born players were forced to get good.....they were.  And the players that play at the highest level must still love the game, even if there is abuse.  Look how Pavel Bure just loved to score.

The horror stories about living in Russia is another topic. I'm just saying we share a much longer history with Russia as the only nation that considered hockey as a premium sport from early in the last century. I think Canadian fans respect that track record from a hockey loving nation, and thats why they cheered for Russia over the US in '96 much to Cherry's chagrin.

In '74 we watched 4 games in Moscow. There were about 3000 Canadians in a packed arena of about 15-16,000. As Canadians we came to the arena, drank some wobbly pops (as Don Cherry would say) and looked out at the Russian fans. A sea of predominantly darkly clothed people who were silent. No emotion. They must have found the Canadians loud and obnoxious. But they sat silent. By game #3 that changed and the Russian fans were as loud as we were. By that time the secret police had plain clothes people sitting every 5 seats amongst the Canadians. The boards between the seats and the ice had soldiers (with guns) shoulder to shoulder as they, supposedly feared the Canadian fans charging the ice surface. Oh, and they started seizing our booze as we aimed the corks at the ice. :)  

• Like 1