The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Evander Kane suspended 1 game

Rate this topic

1 hour ago, Muttley said:

Really makes me wonder the heck he got such a light sentence. His list of crimes offenses are as big as his ego. He's such a twerp on and off the ice. The way

I thought it worked was the punishments would not just fit the misdoing but also take into account his rap sheet to decide the severity. Guess not. I would have hit him with three +.

Yeah, I dunno, NHL spinning wheel of justice spins on

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Yeah, I dunno, NHL spinning wheel of justice spins on

suspending Kane the right amount (3 playoff games?) ensures EDM loses the series. Bettman wants people to keep watching, so he did the minimum he had to to keep hope alive for McDiver fans. 

• Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

not really.. if kane wins.. Bettman and the league will somehow end up paying the contract since they let SJ void the contract in the first place.. i think it's given.. kane win or lose ain't going back to the SJ and SJ won't be on the hook for the contract the NHL will be

Probably something like that and make Oilers pay SJS for use of that contract for the year

I don't see the league punishing a southern aging cap team an expect to see them eventually help them out with their long term contracts

16 hours ago, ba;;isticsports said:

Not surprised by the suspension, but

I've seen a hit like this on a Canuck and wondered why it wasn't even called a penalty before?

The NHL is the most inconsistent league with applying rules to games or suspensions

Don't get me started on the Rome hit on Horton.

Too late.

The league is a joke.  4 games for an open ice (albeit a tad late) hit and only 1 for cross checking a player into the boards.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

not really.. if kane wins.. Bettman and the league will somehow end up paying the contract since they let SJ void the contract in the first place.. i think it's given.. kane win or lose ain't going back to the SJ and SJ won't be on the hook for the contract the NHL will be

That contract has to belong to a team - if it's reinstated, it's not voided.  He'll be SJS property as they are the ones responsible to pay him.  They can trade him, buy him out or have him play for them.  

Reinstating the SJS contract shouldn't impact his contract with Edmonton - he was paid, it was on their books and he played for them.  No reason to try and adjust anything for that contract.

For the SJS one, they are going to have to pay him retroactively so his contract should be back on their books for the 2021/22 season.  Would guess that anything they can't fit under their cap gets rolled over into 2022/23 - similar to a bonus overage.

They finished the season with 5M in end of season cap space - ie instead of spending 81.5M they spent 76.5M.  So 5M can be allocated to the books of this season and the other 2M are allocated to next season.  SJS could maybe argue that he would have spend the season buried in the AHL - which is where he was when the contract got voided, so instead of 2M it might only be 875K that gets carried over.

Edited by mll

10 hours ago, Muttley said:

Really makes me wonder the heck he got such a light sentence. His list of crimes offenses are as big as his ego. He's such a twerp on and off the ice. The way

I thought it worked was the punishments would not just fit the misdoing but also take into account his rap sheet to decide the severity. Guess not. I would have hit him with three +.

he has had multiple 1-3 game past suspensions for on ice hits, the fact he only got one game is absurd.

Edited by NucknAsia
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Heretic said:

Don't get me started on the Rome hit on Horton.

Too late.

The league is a joke.  4 games for an open ice (albeit a tad late) hit and only 1 for cross checking a player into the boards.

Well the Avs don't have the son of a league exec on their team....makes a difference

• Vintage 1

10 hours ago, mll said:

That contract has to belong to a team - if it's reinstated, it's not voided.  He'll be SJS property as they are the ones responsible to pay him.  They can trade him, buy him out or have him play for them.  

Reinstating the SJS contract shouldn't impact his contract with Edmonton - he was paid, it was on their books and he played for them.  No reason to try and adjust anything for that contract.

For the SJS one, they are going to have to pay him retroactively so his contract should be back on their books for the 2021/22 season.  Would guess that anything they can't fit under their cap gets rolled over into 2022/23 - similar to a bonus overage.

They finished the season with 5M in end of season cap space - ie instead of spending 81.5M they spent 76.5M.  So 5M can be allocated to the books of this season and the other 2M are allocated to next season.  SJS could maybe argue that he would have spend the season buried in the AHL - which is where he was when the contract got voided, so instead of 2M it might only be 875K that gets carried over.

nope i still see san jose going to spend right up to the cap and then argue the NHL oked it so they shouldn't be responsible. you can't hold a teams cap space hostage for however long this thing drags out. worse case scenario is the NHL will offer SJ a compliant buyout to allow them a free get out of jail card. SJ would argue at least for the money this season. the NHL agreed to it so why should they be the one paying evander kane to play for another team? when all dust are settled Evander will get paid whatever it cost for a buyout.. and NHL will let SJ walk free of any cap penalty.