The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Blackhawks hire Luke Richardson as head coach

Rate this topic

1 hour ago, Kevin Biestra said:

I think he'll do well.  As a player he always struck me as a guy who would make a good coach.

Agree. Richardson always appeared to be a smart, strong, no BS type of player. Good solid choice for a team that is in serious need of direction.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, YEGCanuck said:

Agree. Richardson always appeared to be a smart, strong, no BS type of player. Good solid choice for a team that is in serious need of direction.

Odd how some of the guys I would have also thought had the makings of great coaches from their playing days didn't quite pan out though.  Rick Ley, Dirk Graham, Steve Kasper.  Orland Kurtenbach's run with the Canucks wasn't anything to write home about either.  I'm not infallible with my predictions.

Edited by Kevin Biestra

On 6/24/2022 at 7:16 PM, Kevin Biestra said:

Odd how some of the guys I would have also thought had the makings of great coaches from their playing days didn't quite pan out though.  Rick Ley, Dirk Graham, Steve Kasper.  Orland Kurtenbach's run with the Canucks wasn't anything to write home about either.  I'm not infallible with my predictions.

You forgot Gretzky. Terrible coach, but the best player to play the game. 

13 hours ago, MystifyNCrucify said:

You forgot Gretzky. Terrible coach, but the best player to play the game. 

I wasn't sure Gretzky would do well.  Scoring superstars have given it a try and often not done that well or not stuck around.  Denis Savard, Bryan Trottier, Adam Oates, Phil Esposito.

Solid stay at home defensemen or Selke winning forward types tend to become the great coaches...  Pat Quinn, Al Arbour, Quenneville, Lindy Ruff, Dave Tippett.

Or hard nosed physical players who just barely made it to the NHL for a cup of coffee...  Alain Vigneault, Marc Crawford.

Sometimes Hall of Fame or close to it caliber players do well as coaches - Randy Carlyle, Jacques Lemaire, Bill Barber, Paul MacLean, Larry Robinson, Rick Tocchet, Gerard Gallant - but they have tended to be defensemen or support scoring forwards rather than Art Ross winners.  For whatever reason Lemaire rather than Lafleur, MacLean rather than Hawerchuk, Barber rather than Clarke, Gallant rather than Yzerman.  Sometimes I guess because the all time team legends just bypass coaching and go straight into GM / Presidencies ... Yzerman, Linden, Neely, Sakic, Brett Hull, Lafontaine, etc. which also sometimes goes poorly and ends that career quickly (Hull, Linden, Lafontaine).

So when I think of guys from that era who I was maybe a little surprised I never really heard much about as coaches down the road, I think of Brad Marsh, Troy Murray, Mike McPhee, Brian Skrudland, Mike Foligno, Joel Otto, Scott Mellanby, Rick Meagher, Adam Foote, Ric Nattress, Lee Fogolin etc.  I would have thought a guy like Dave Babych who adjusted from scoring star defenseman to rugged positionally sound defender over the years would have been a good candidate.  But there are only so many spots...

Brad McCrimmon was exactly that kind of guy and was unfortunately killed in the KHL plane crash.  Craig Ramsay...who seemed happy to just be an all time great assistant coach like Rick Bowness.  Rob Ramage is another one who seemed fit to go that route before the Keith Magnuson car crash...with Magnuson himself another one of those admirable kinds of players I would have listed above.

When I think of guys that were scoring stars to some degree that I thought would potentially have good careers and an impact in coaching...  Dave Taylor, Kirk Muller, Trevor Linden, Doug Wilson, John Tonelli, Brent Sutter, Brian Sutter, Randy Carlyle, Gary Roberts, Steve Larmer, Rod Brind'Amour, Brendan Shanahan.  Some of those happened, some didn't.

Edited by Kevin Biestra

5 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

I wasn't sure Gretzky would do well.  Scoring superstars have given it a try and often not done that well or not stuck around.  Denis Savard, Bryan Trottier, Adam Oates, Phil Esposito.

Solid stay at home defensemen or Selke winning forward types tend to become the great coaches...  Pat Quinn, Al Arbour, Quenneville, Lindy Ruff, Dave Tippett.

Or hard nosed physical players who just barely made it to the NHL for a cup of coffee...  Alain Vigneault, Marc Crawford.

Sometimes Hall of Fame or close to it caliber players do well as coaches - Randy Carlyle, Jacques Lemaire, Bill Barber, Paul MacLean, Larry Robinson, Rick Tocchet, Gerard Gallant - but they have tended to be defensemen or support scoring forwards rather than Art Ross winners.  For whatever reason Lemaire rather than Lafleur, MacLean rather than Hawerchuk, Barber rather than Clarke, Gallant rather than Yzerman.  Sometimes I guess because the all time team legends just bypass coaching and go straight into GM / Presidencies ... Yzerman, Linden, Neely, Sakic, Brett Hull, Lafontaine, etc. which also sometimes goes poorly and ends that career quickly (Hull, Linden, Lafontaine).

So when I think of guys from that era who I was maybe a little surprised I never really heard much about as coaches down the road, I think of Brad Marsh, Troy Murray, Mike McPhee, Brian Skrudland, Mike Foligno, Joel Otto, Scott Mellanby, Rick Meagher, Adam Foote, Ric Nattress, Lee Fogolin etc.  I would have thought a guy like Dave Babych who adjusted from scoring star defenseman to rugged positionally sound defender over the years would have been a good candidate.  But there are only so many spots...

Brad McCrimmon was exactly that kind of guy and was unfortunately killed in the KHL plane crash.  Craig Ramsay...who seemed happy to just be an all time great assistant coach like Rick Bowness.  Rob Ramage is another one who seemed fit to go that route before the Keith Magnuson car crash...with Magnuson himself another one of those admirable kinds of players I would have listed above.

When I think of guys that were scoring stars to some degree that I thought would potentially have good careers and an impact in coaching...  Dave Taylor, Kirk Muller, Trevor Linden, Doug Wilson, John Tonelli, Brent Sutter, Brian Sutter, Randy Carlyle, Gary Roberts, Steve Larmer, Rod Brind'Amour, Brendan Shanahan.  Some of those happened, some didn't.

I think in Gretzky’s case, he just couldnt make the “translation” from what he knew about the game, into something that a lot of other players could utilize let alone understand. 

Kinda like if you or I were trying to explain how to use computers to someone in the early 80’s. “No no dont use DOS, just start windows and use your mouse to click on Word and type what you want.” 

*edit

And referring to what you said, the lesser talented players that made good coaches had to rely on strategy, and understanding of the game to succeed, instead of just natural talent that cannot be taught. 

99 was an anomaly in that respect though...he wasnt fast, didnt shoot that hard, wasnt physical....

Edited by MystifyNCrucify

7 minutes ago, MystifyNCrucify said:

I think in Gretzky’s case, he just couldnt make the “translation” from what he knew about the game, into something that a lot of other players could utilize let alone understand. 

Kinda like if you or I were trying to explain how to use computers to someone in the early 80’s. “No no dont use DOS, just start windows and use your mouse to click on Word and type what you want.” 

Well, it's kind of like Gretzky just naturally understands DOS and doesn't even need to learn the program...whereas everyone else has to learn those commands to get going.  That's kind of what I was saying...where the savants like Gretzky, Lemieux, Orr, Esposito, Hawerchuk, Bure, McDavid, Denis Savard, Lafleur, Bossy, etc. can't teach their talents to a team full of normal players.  I had a little more hope for players like Trottier or Bobby Clarke who reinvented themselves late in their careers as defensive forwards to stay relevant in the league and thus had more stuff to teach that would be transferable to the average player.

It's like the math whiz in grade school.  They can't really help the other kids because they don't really understand why the other kids don't immediately get it.  Meanwhile the B student who grinds away at memorizing formulas and steps can actually help get another kid from a D to a C.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Cheers 1