The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jonathan Lekkerimäki | RW

Fanuck

1 hour ago, Quantum said:

No. Also, I don't remember the Jordan Subban "fiasco" so I'm not sure what the big deal is?

According to Capfriendly, the Canucks hold the rights to Lekkerimaki until Jun 1st 2026. He'll be signed way before then. I think the plan is for Lekkerimaki to play in the HA in a big role this season, monitor his progress, and make a call about bringing him over next summer. Allvin has basically said this is the plan in interviews. There's no rush to bring him to North America quite yet.

The Canucks also have 5 contract slots available. They'll likely keep at least 3 of them open to start the season. One of those spots is likely earmarked for Aidan McDonough for when he finishes his NCAA season in March. The others are likely open for other NCAA free agents/potential waiver claims.

There's no need to panic. The era of rushing first round picks in this organization is over.

Yeezus. I didn't think my sarcasm would fly over people's heads like this. I think we're all a little blue balled this summer... :lol: 

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, hammertime said:

Is Lekkerimaki gonna be at the young stars in Penticton? I'm getting tickets. Would be nice to see this kid live.

Sorry; I don't know, but this kid is my new favorite Canuck prospect by far.

I also don't know if this has been posted but it is awesome; and turn up the volume if you want to hear some happy Swedish!

• Cheers 2

He honestly does look like a Raymond-lite in his highlight package.

Higher offensive upside than Hoglander and Podkolzin, just needs to mature physically. 

Feels like we got a good one, but absolutely no need to rush him.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

On 7/30/2022 at 11:54 AM, Quantum said:

No. Also, I don't remember the Jordan Subban "fiasco" so I'm not sure what the big deal is?

According to Capfriendly, the Canucks hold the rights to Lekkerimaki until Jun 1st 2026. He'll be signed way before then. I think the plan is for Lekkerimaki to play in the HA in a big role this season, monitor his progress, and make a call about bringing him over next summer. Allvin has basically said this is the plan in interviews. There's no rush to bring him to North America quite yet.

The Canucks also have 5 contract slots available. They'll likely keep at least 3 of them open to start the season. One of those spots is likely earmarked for Aidan McDonough for when he finishes his NCAA season in March. The others are likely open for other NCAA free agents/potential waiver claims.

There's no need to panic. The era of rushing first round picks in this organization is over.

Holy :lol:

Since when did our first round picks get "rushed", aside from Virtanen? Juolevi wasn't rushed. He just had a freak ton of injuries/covid. Totally unlucky. Other than that, I'm reallyyyyyyyyyyy not sure which prospect was "rushed".

And it's a little hilarious that you make this kind of statement after this new regime makes their first round selection.

Edited by Dazzle

41 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Holy :lol:

Since when did our first round picks get "rushed", aside from Virtanen? Juolevi wasn't rushed. He just had a freak ton of injuries/covid. Totally unlucky. Other than that, I'm reallyyyyyyyyyyy not sure which prospect was "rushed".

And it's a little hilarious that you make this kind of statement after this new regime makes their first round selection.

While I agree with you, McCan't (our second 1st rounder that year, wasn't he?) was in right away with Jake (and probably helped him get to the Roxy etc.)

Edited by Goal:thecup

1 hour ago, Goal:thecup said:

While I agree with you, McCan't (our second 1st rounder that year, wasn't he?) was in right away with Jake (and probably helped him get to the Roxy etc.)

That's two, sure, but we did have Hughes, Pettersson, Podkolzin. It's a weak point.

8 hours ago, Bell said:

Thanks Goalthecup

Vintage posted a thing from Rick Dhaliwal about it a couple pages back.

As a heads up, Sweden's first game is at 10:00 this morning. 

(11:00am MDT according to Team Canada schedule: https://www.hockeycanada.ca/en-ca/news/hlinka-gretzky-cup-schedule-announced-2022-hgc )

TSN is carrying some games but not Sweden until Aug 10 vs Switzerland, again at 10:00, if I am reading their schedule correctly (https://www.tsn.ca/tradecentre/article/watch-live-hlinka-gretzky-cup-semis-russia-vs-sweden-1.1156065)

Hlinka was one of the best Canucks ever, even though we got him at an advanced age; loved the guy.

Heck, I don't know what TSN is doing v/v The HG Cup:

They list tomorrow's Canada game at 9:00 PM ! (MDT)

And they don't list the Swe v Sui game at all on their TV sched. now.

Finking Toronto Sports Network, they don't care about our Swedish Canucks!

Lekkerimaki is going to light this thing up!

GO CANUCKS GO!

Edited by Goal:thecup

16 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

Vintage posted a thing from Rick Dhaliwal about it a couple pages back.

As a heads up, Sweden's first game is at 10:00 this morning. 

(11:00am MDT according to Team Canada schedule: https://www.hockeycanada.ca/en-ca/news/hlinka-gretzky-cup-schedule-announced-2022-hgc )

TSN is carrying some games but not Sweden until Aug 10 vs Switzerland, again at 10:00, if I am reading their schedule correctly (https://www.tsn.ca/tradecentre/article/watch-live-hlinka-gretzky-cup-semis-russia-vs-sweden-1.1156065)

Hlinka was one of the best Canucks ever, even though we got him at an advanced age; loved the guy.

Thanks again.  Looks like I will need to get stuff done before ten this morning to see if our new swede plays.

7 hours ago, Bell said:

Thanks again.  Looks like I will need to get stuff done before ten this morning to see if our new swede plays.

6 hours ago, Goal:thecup said:

How are you going to watch it?

(Need to know!  I'm hooked on Lekkerimaki!)

Hlinkas are U18. Lekkerimaki is no longer eligible. He'll be at World Juniors next week.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

Hlinkas are U18. Lekkerimaki is no longer eligible. He'll be at World Juniors next week.

Link:  https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2022/06/sweden-announces-preliminary-roster-for-2022-wjc.html 

Article at link:

Sweden Announces Preliminary Roster For 2022 WJC

JUNE 21, 2022 AT 8:18 AM CDT | BY GAVIN LEE 1 COMMENT

While the focus is on the Stanley Cup Final right now, fans will have some more hockey to watch later this summer, when the rescheduled World Junior Championship takes place in August. The event, which was postponed from its normal late-December timeslot because of a COVID-19 outbreak, will kick off on August 9 in Edmonton, Alberta.

All of the same players are eligible for the event, even if they have since turned 20, but with the tournament coming so close to the start of the NHL season, there will be quite a different look for many countries. That’s true for Sweden, who released their preliminary roster today:

G Jesper Wallstedt
G Calle Clang
G Carl Lindbom

D Helge Grans
D Emil Andrae
D Mattias Havelid
D Mans Forsfjall
D Simon Edvinsson
D Leo Loof
D William Wallinder
D Joel Nystrom

F Daniel Ljungman
F Fabian Lysell
F Ake Stakkestad
F William Eklund
F Linus Sjodin
F Victor Stjernborg
F Albert Sjoberg
F Isak Rosen
F Jonathan Lekkerimaki
F Theodore Niederbach
F Oskar Magnusson
F Daniel Torgersson

This is a great opportunity for someone like Lekkerimaki, the top Swede in this year’s draft. He will have already been selected by the time the tournament gets off but it likely means he’ll have a chance to take part in two of these events over just a few months.

If you think you see a number of Detroit Red Wings prospects, you aren’t wrong. Edvinsson’s inclusion is especially interesting as many believe he will challenge for a full-time roster spot next season. Eklund is in the same boat, after already playing nine games for the San Jose Sharks and recording four points.