The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jonathan Lekkerimäki | RW

Fanuck

9 hours ago, wildcam said:

Klimovich played in AHL as 18 year old..I think Lekkerimaki not being a North American player would be eligible to play in AHL?

Correct me if I am wrong? I know a CHL player cannot play in AHL full time until 20 years old...

he was drafted by the Giants, thus he is CHL property

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

Only if he signed with a CHL team is he their property.  He just can’t play for another CHL team without the Giants trading him.  He can come over and play in the A.  

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Only if he signed with a CHL team is he their property.  He just can’t play for another CHL team without the Giants trading him.  He can come over and play in the A.  

Correct. He could potentially play in the AHL.

I think junior would be a better choice at this point though.

• There it is 1

11 minutes ago, stawns said:

I am not super well knowledged about this, but I am pretty sure he isn't a CHL player. They have his rights, but he isn't signed there. Meaning if he were to play in the CHL, it'd have to be with that team. But he isn't limited to playing in the CHL. He can play AHL if we were to prefer that route. Although with his size, he'd be better served in the CHL anyway. He was always considered a massive project.

• There it is 1

24 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

I am not super well knowledged about this, but I am pretty sure he isn't a CHL player. They have his rights, but he isn't signed there. Meaning if he were to play in the CHL, it'd have to be with that team. But he isn't limited to playing in the CHL. He can play AHL if we were to prefer that route. Although with his size, he'd be better served in the CHL anyway. He was always considered a massive project.

It's so complicated with euros.  This is my understanding

If a euro is drafted in to the chl before he's drafted into the NHL, but stays in Europe, he is property of his CHL team and has to play for that team if he comes over to NA

If he was the property of an NHL team before being drafted by a CHL team, I believe he can play in the AHL.  It really is confusing and different euro leagues have different transfer agreements with the NHL and that comicates it even more.

JL was drafted by the Giants on July 1 and the Canucks on July 2, so I believe he is ineligible for the AHL until he is 20

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

If a euro is drafted in to the chl before he's drafted into the NHL, but stays in Europe, he is property of his CHL team and has to play for that team if he comes over to NA

If he was the property of an NHL team before being drafted by a CHL team, I believe he can play in the AHL.  It really is confusing and different euro leagues have different transfer agreements with the NHL and that comicates it even more.

JL was drafted by the Giants on July 1 and the Canucks on July 2, so I believe he is ineligible for the AHL until he is 20

I think you’re wrong here.  He needs to SIGN with a CHL team, which he didn’t.  The Giants only have his CHL rights.  He can absolutely come play in the A.  It’s moo anyway.  He’s not coming over for at least another season. 

Edited by Alflives

2 hours ago, stawns said:

I don't think that matters. He was drafted out of Europe. So the CHL agreement does not apply to him. But if he were to play in the CHL, his only option are the Giants. But we could send him directly to Abbotsford if we so choose. Again, the whole debate is largely moot. He's not good enough for the A, he's getting cooked in Sweden's tier 2 league. Playing with Honzek on the Giants would be better anyway. Hopefully that's a direction seriously being discussed.

Edited by N7Nucks

Just now, N7Nucks said:

I don't think that matters. He was drafted out of Europe. So the CHL agreement does not apply to him. But if he were to play in the CHL, his only option are the Giants. But we could send him directly to Abbotsford if we so choose. Again, the whole debate is largely moot. He's not good enough for the A, he's getting cooked in in Sweden's tier 2 league. Playing with Honzek on the Giants would be better anyway. Hopefully that's a direction seriously being discussed.

It does matter, he was CHL property before he was NHL property.  

"European players further complicate The Agreement. If European players are drafted in the CHL draft before they're drafted by an NHL club, this rule applies to them. However, if they're drafted as a member of a European squad, and choose post-NHL-draft to play for a CHL team, they can, in fact, report to the NHL team's minor squads before the age limit kicks in. "

https://www.stanleycupofchowder.com/2012/8/1/3213217/bruins-nhl-chl-ahl-agreement-CBA-talks-2012

2 hours ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

This could go down as the worst draft pick since Patrick White. 

Not a good 1st draft for the new management 

That would be a hammer blow... not like we have a lot of high end talent cooking in the minors...

Jim Benning where are you............................................................................................:ph34r:

22 minutes ago, stawns said:

It does matter, he was CHL property before he was NHL property.  

"European players further complicate The Agreement. If European players are drafted in the CHL draft before they're drafted by an NHL club, this rule applies to them. However, if they're drafted as a member of a European squad, and choose post-NHL-draft to play for a CHL team, they can, in fact, report to the NHL team's minor squads before the age limit kicks in. "

https://www.stanleycupofchowder.com/2012/8/1/3213217/bruins-nhl-chl-ahl-agreement-CBA-talks-2012

The quote YOU posted literally proves me right. Lol. He was drafted as a member of a European squad. He hasn't played a single minute in the CHL. He is not and never was a CHL player. He was a drafted out of the SHL. Making him a European player. Meaning, he can go to the AHL. Whatever though, I don't think he leaves Sweden this season anyway. If you wanna die on this hill by all means.

• Cheers 1

50 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

The quote YOU posted literally proves me right. Lol. He was drafted as a member of a European squad. He hasn't played a single minute in the CHL. He is not and never was a CHL player. He was a drafted out of the SHL. Making him a European player. Meaning, he can go to the AHL. Whatever though, I don't think he leaves Sweden this season anyway. If you wanna die on this hill by all means.

Why are you getting bent out of shape?  I'm not arguing with you,  It's a confusing rule with euros.

This is a young man who was drafted to play in the greatest hockey league in History. Let's calm our teats and let him develop with those who are working closely with him. It is WAR and we are talking about a man younger than myself, who is 26 years old. Please play nicely in this thread now.

• Thanks 1

I am someone who spent 8 years as a homeless disabled war veteran and I am simply happy we have a great Finnish player to continue the legacy of the Vancouver Canucks through whatever perils this man has in his personal life.