The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jonathan Lekkerimäki | RW

Fanuck

6 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Pretty impressive for such a young guy, Ohgren looks good out there too, I wonder why Allvin preferred Lekker (probably his shot)?

If this kid scores the game 7 GWG in OT on the PP CDC will explode...

Safe to say all that early bust/Mono chat is a thing of the past

I preferred Lekkerimami to Ohgren at their draft but it was close. Had Lekkerimkai 7th and Ohgren 10th. Ohgren has increased his stock more over this season. It would be a coin toss for me right now but I might lean Ohgren. He's just a manchild. Much like Dvorsky for this draft or McTavish the previous, he's a big, stocky, athletic young man. He takes a lot of pride in his defensive game. He was drafted as a wing, still mostly plays wing, but Sweden used him at center for WJC. You know Minnesota has to be licking their chops at the thought of it. He's also been starting to play more physical and get to the net hard towards the end of the season.

Biggest weakness for Ohgren is his edges. He's a powerful skater with good top speed, but a little slow on his pivots. Lekkerimaki is a wizard on his edges. Seems to do a lot of the 10-2 thing. Really helps him as far as being able to suddenly and deceptively slide into open spaces in scoring areas. Lekkerimkai's shot is better but Ohgren's is pretty damn good too.

My goodness those two are especially good together though. Ohgren handling the rough stuff in the battles down low, and Lekkerimaki is there to pick it up and do what he does so well, working the cycle out of the corners.

Edited by HighOnHockey
  • Cheers 2

2 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Nearly won the game, nearly lost the game with that one stick.

Got to say this hockey is very loose, lots of bad defensive coverage, loose defensive clearing attempts, no one's checking too hard. The level looks a tiny bit lower than the AHL. Lekker is skating so well though, great hockey IQ movements and passes every time he has the puck, he and Ohgren have great chemistry too.

Yeah, Allsvenskan on average is a fair bit lower quality than the AHL. I've described it this way: the difference in quality from KHL to AHL is about equal to the distance from AHL to Allsvenskan. But it's the league finals so this would be a little above the average quality.

• Thanks 1

On 4/7/2023 at 7:36 AM, hammertime said:

Dude he's a 1 way offensive winger. If he doesn't have insane stats he doesn't have a chance to make it. It's not like Lek is gonna be a 3rd line grinder. 

It's really nice to see him doing better, but there is a long way to go. 

Jonathan Lekkerimaki

Right Wing -- shoots R
Born Jul 24 2004 -- Tullinge, Sweden 
[18 yrs. ago] 
Height 5.11 -- Weight 172 [180 cm/78 kg]
Drafted by Vancouver Canucks
- round 1 #15 overall 2022 NHL Entry Draft

Jonathan Lekkerimaki hockey player photo 

Regular Season Playoffs
Season Team Lge GP G A Pts PIM +/- GP G A Pts PIM
2020-21 Djurgardens Jr. Swe-Jr 1 0 1 1 0 1          
2021-22 Djurgardens Jr. Swe-Jr 26 20 15 35 8 18          
2021-22 Djurgardens IF SweHL 26 7 2 9 0 0 -- -- -- -- --
2022-23 Djurgardens IF Swe-1 29 3 6 9 4 -4 14 5 10 15 2
2022-23 Djurgardens Jr.* Swe-Jr 2 2 3 5 0 3          

The young man is only 18 years old and so so many negative poster called this young prospect a bust??? All the injuries and negative disrespectful poster just slammed Johnathan.. Going to be great to see health young man next season ..Sure hope he stays heathy, so so much talent and only 18 playing in Swe-1..

Having a great playoff now being healthy..

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

3 minutes ago, wildcam said:

Jonathan Lekkerimaki

Right Wing -- shoots R
Born Jul 24 2004 -- Tullinge, Sweden 
[18 yrs. ago] 
Height 5.11 -- Weight 172 [180 cm/78 kg]
Drafted by Vancouver Canucks
- round 1 #15 overall 2022 NHL Entry Draft

Jonathan Lekkerimaki hockey player photo 

Regular Season Playoffs
Season Team Lge GP G A Pts PIM +/- GP G A Pts PIM
2020-21 Djurgardens Jr. Swe-Jr 1 0 1 1 0 1          
2021-22 Djurgardens Jr. Swe-Jr 26 20 15 35 8 18          
2021-22 Djurgardens IF SweHL 26 7 2 9 0 0 -- -- -- -- --
2022-23 Djurgardens IF Swe-1 29 3 6 9 4 -4 14 5 10 15 2
2022-23 Djurgardens Jr.* Swe-Jr 2 2 3 5 0 3          

The young man is only 18 years old and so so many negative poster called this young prospect a bust??? All the injuries and negative disrespectful poster just slammed Johnathan.. Going to be great to see health young man next season ..Sure hope he stays heathy, so so much talent and only 18 playing in Swe-1..

Having a great playoff now being healthy..

I'm cheering for Lekks. Love that picture by the way really captures his rugged brawny side.

Lets be real here its tier 2 sweden people losing their mind over some secondary assists and a broken stick. Like I said it's great to see something positive but I'm a long way from punching his ticket. This is a top 6 or bust prospect. Does the kid pictured above look like a guy whos gonna earn his chops on your 3rd. He has to really turn it up before he's anywhere near being parachuted into our top 6 or Abbotsford top 6 for that matter. We are going to have to wait until he's 22/23 to see what he is. He's not ready for the AHL at this time. On the other hand the direct comparable skilled scoring winger who was available to us since that's the way we went at the draft Joakim Kemell just went PPG in the AHL and scored goals at a 35g pace. 

We drafted Lekkerimaki to score goals until he starts doing that with regularity I will keep my expectations tempered. He is not as bad as the regular season would suggest not even close. But he's also not as good as the last 14 games stat line would suggest. 

This is what we are getting excited about really? Passing it from the corner back to the D constitutes an elite play on this board?

It's improvement as long as he keeps steadily improving that's all anyone can ask for. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, hammertime said:

I'm cheering for Lekks. Love that picture by the way really captures his rugged brawny side.

Lets be real here its tier 2 sweden people losing their mind over some secondary assists and a broken stick. Like I said it's great to see something positive but I'm a long way from punching his ticket. This is a top 6 or bust prospect. Does the kid pictured above look like a guy whos gonna earn his chops on your 3rd. He has to really turn it up before he's anywhere near being parachuted into our top 6 or Abbotsford top 6 for that matter. We are going to have to wait until he's 22/23 to see what he is. He's not ready for the AHL at this time. On the other hand the direct comparable skilled scoring winger who was available to us since that's the way we went at the draft Joakim Kemell just went PPG in the AHL and scored goals at a 35g pace. 

We drafted Lekkerimaki to score goals until he starts doing that with regularity I will keep my expectations tempered. He is not as bad as the regular season would suggest not even close. But he's also not as good as the last 14 games stat line would suggest. 

This is what we are getting excited about really? Passing it from the corner back to the D constitutes an elite play on this board?

It's improvement as long as he keeps steadily improving that's all anyone can ask for.

Lol.You're getting desperate.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Vintage 1
  • There it is 1

10 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

Lol.You're getting desperate.

How so? It's a positive post about not getting too high or too low. Actually it seems more desperate pretending that this hot streak is him showing some elite ability. I'm watching the games it's not like he's Markus Naslund out there. 

1 minute ago, hammertime said:

How so? It's a positive post about not getting too high or too low. Actually it seems more desperate pretending that this hot streak is him showing some elite ability. I'm watching the games it's not like he's Markus Naslund out there. 

To bring Kemell into it is where I mean you're getting desperate. 15 points in 43 games and the worst +/- on his team. Isn't this the same thing you're accusing supporters of doing with Lekkerimaki? Forgetting about his entire season to focus on one short stretch? Pretty hypocritical. At least Lekkerimaki had injuries to blame his season on. Kemell just wears on coaches after a while. Also at least Lekkerimaki is doing it when it matters. Lets see if Kemell can keep it up in AHL playoffs.

I'm not trying to hate on Kemell, but you keep bringing him up. Lekkerimaki was the better NHL prospect at the draft and continues to be the better NHL prospect now. Both have one major flaw that caused them to drop in the rankings. For Lekkerimaki it was size and strength, for Kemell he's had a pro body for a while, but there's major questions about NHL translatability regarding not using his teammates and trying to force offense by himself. Both are potentially correctable, but will take some time and come with an element of risk.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

To bring Kemell into it is where I mean you're getting desperate. 15 points in 43 games and the worst +/- on his team. Isn't this the same thing you're accusing supporters of doing with Lekkerimaki? Forgetting about his entire season to focus on one short stretch? Pretty hypocritical. At least Lekkerimaki had injuries to blame his season on. Kemell just wears on coaches after a while. Also at least Lekkerimaki is doing it when it matters. Lets see if Kemell can keep it up in AHL playoffs.

I'm not trying to hate on Kemell, but you keep bringing him up. Lekkerimaki was the better NHL prospect at the draft and continues to be the better NHL prospect now. Both have one major flaw that caused them to drop in the rankings. For Lekkerimaki it was size and strength, for Kemell he's had a pro body for a while, but there's major questions about NHL translatability regarding not using his teammates and trying to force offense by himself. Both are potentially correctable, but will take some time and come with an element of risk.

I'm not pretending Kemells poop don't smell. Don't get too high or too low. But come-on if Lekks came into the AHL this year and went PPG you'd be in here talking bout what a steal he was. He's a kid in the AHL pretty normal to stumble on +/- at first. 

Lekks has 3goals in his last 10 games it's an improvement. So on a 82 game season he's a 24goal scorer in Allsven if we only sample his best showing of the year. Yes its positive. But it's not spectacular.

3 hours ago, hammertime said:

Good thing you're not our scout.

PA drafted him on his TALENT.

We were lucky to get him at 15.

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

2 hours ago, hammertime said:

Lol their pracically the same size. 

But whatever hope he gets the game winner next game.

Ah. Sorry dude but you're really revealing your ignorance here. I thought it was mostly just a lack of understanding the quality of pro vs jr hockey. But you seem to have some kind of basic misunderstanding of the fact that human beings can have different types of body compositions. 13 lbs is the difference according to listed weights (roughly the difference between weight classes in strength and combat sports), which is a big enough difference as far as trying to handle the bare minimum strength of adult pro athletes (avg weight in both Liiga and Allsvenskan are around 185, and AHL is around 190). Kemell was drafted at 183 and is probably closer to 190 by now. But just look at them with your eyeballs in interviews or whatever and you tell me who looks like a teenager and who looks like a pro athlete..

Edited by HighOnHockey

41 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

Ah. Sorry dude but you're really revealing your ignorance here. I thought it was mostly just a lack of understanding the quality of pro vs jr hockey. But you seem to have some kind of basic misunderstanding of the fact that human beings can have different types of body compositions. 13 lbs is the difference according to listed weights (roughly the difference between weight classes in strength and combat sports), which is a big enough difference as far as trying to handle the bare minimum strength of adult pro athletes (avg weight in both Liiga and Allsvenskan are around 185, and AHL is around 190). Kemell was drafted at 183 and is probably closer to 190 by now. But just look at them with your eyeballs in interviews or whatever and you tell me who looks like a teenager and who looks like a pro athlete..

You're right sure glad we got the guy who looks like a teenager.