The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kirill Kudryavtsev | D

On 6/25/2023 at 1:30 PM, VancouverHabitant said:

Bigger? Yes 

Stronger and more physical? I would say no 

Kirill is like Tanev as far as player types go IMO. 

I watched about 4 of his games this year in the OHL and he was always the best dman on the ice. 

Rathbone has always been in amazing shape and very strong for his size. I hope that Kirill does as well as Rathbone has, and as you say Rathbone will land an NHL spot somewhere... Maybe not with us because of the fit with Quinn. 

On 6/25/2023 at 1:30 PM, VancouverHabitant said:

Bigger? Yes 

Stronger and more physical? I would say no 

Kirill is like Tanev as far as player types go IMO. 

I watched about 4 of his games this year in the OHL and he was always the best dman on the ice. 

Rathbone has always been in amazing shape and very strong for his size. I hope that Kirill does as well as Rathbone has, and as you say Rathbone will land an NHL spot somewhere... Maybe not with us because of the fit with Quinn. 

According to Josh Bloom, who has played against Kudryavtsev: https://www.canucksdaily.com/LATEST-Canucks-prospect-believes-the-team-has-the-steal-of-last-year-draft-255031

While in the OHL, Bloom faced fellow Canucks prospect Kirill Kudryavtsev, who was with the Sault Ste. Marie Greyhound. In a recent interview with Patrick Johnston of The Province, Bloom had some high praise for Kudryavtsev and gave some insight into what it's like playing against him.

"Tough, tough player to play against. Would always give you a shot here, a shot there," Bloom said. "Little stingers here and there. So frustrating to play against. He can bury the puck too. So he was always dangerous in our scouting. We always had a little video on him before we faced the Soo."
I think I’ll take Bloom’s testimony over your speculation. There is more than one way to be physical.

• Like 1
  • There it is 1

9 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

According to Josh Bloom, who has played against Kudryavtsev: https://www.canucksdaily.com/LATEST-Canucks-prospect-believes-the-team-has-the-steal-of-last-year-draft-255031

While in the OHL, Bloom faced fellow Canucks prospect Kirill Kudryavtsev, who was with the Sault Ste. Marie Greyhound. In a recent interview with Patrick Johnston of The Province, Bloom had some high praise for Kudryavtsev and gave some insight into what it's like playing against him.

"Tough, tough player to play against. Would always give you a shot here, a shot there," Bloom said. "Little stingers here and there. So frustrating to play against. He can bury the puck too. So he was always dangerous in our scouting. We always had a little video on him before we faced the Soo."
I think I’ll take Bloom’s testimony over your speculation. There is more than one way to be physical.

Sure, you can take his testimony, I'm just telling you what I saw in watching a handful of his games. If you're expecting a physical player, you'll be disappointed

14 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Sure, you can take his testimony, I'm just telling you what I saw in watching a handful of his games. If you're expecting a physical player, you'll be disappointed

He may not be a bruiser, but he is extremely hard to play against. That's a great character trait in a D man. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

Are you trying to say it might be premature for us to nickname him Kirill Kasparaitis?!:(

So when I was younger, I saw all the players from Penguins one time before a game and Kasparaitis was the nicest guy with the fans. He signed everyone's posters, hockey cards, and shook hands with fans. 

9 hours ago, Alflives said:

He may not be a bruiser, but he is extremely hard to play against. That's a great character trait in a D man. 

Yeah for sure, I didn't notice little chops and shots that he gives to the opposition like what Josh Bloom mentioned, but it's good news. 

14 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Yeah for sure, I didn't notice little chops and shots that he gives to the opposition like what Josh Bloom mentioned, but it's good news. 

He’s good at it. Wouldn’t be seen on pucks. 

On 8/9/2023 at 10:31 AM, VancouverHabitant said:

So when I was younger, I saw all the players from Penguins one time before a game and Kasparaitis was the nicest guy with the fans. He signed everyone's posters, hockey cards, and shook hands with fans. 

It’s almost an nhl cliche that many of the toughest guys (with the toughest jobs) were the among the nicest people.