The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kirill Kudryavtsev | D

On 4/7/2023 at 8:21 PM, Ray_Cathode said:

He was like that at young stars, a step ahead of almost everyone else. 

Yeah i remember seeing Kirill as the young stars, I first thought he was some 3rd year+ tryout or something due to his maturity and speed, and then was like WoW - its this dude who was a major late round pick. Could be we actually find a later round steal for the first time in decades ( that we don't trade of course ) 

• Like 4

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/10/2023 at 12:27 PM, Fred65 said:

Rathbone had a trajectory similar. I tend to think how he shows in is first year as a pro will give every one a better judgement

Kudryavtsev is bigger, stronger, and much more physical than Rathbone. It is going to be tough for D that are primarily offensive to earn a spot in Vancouver - so long as Hughes is here - especially on the left side. Rathbone is kind of a poor man’s version of Hughes - if he doesn’t find a spot here, he may find one elsewhere.

• Like 1

On 6/23/2023 at 12:34 PM, Ray_Cathode said:

Kudryavtsev is bigger, stronger, and much more physical than Rathbone. It is going to be tough for D that are primarily offensive to earn a spot in Vancouver - so long as Hughes is here - especially on the left side. Rathbone is kind of a poor man’s version of Hughes - if he doesn’t find a spot here, he may find one elsewhere.

Bigger? Yes 

Stronger and more physical? I would say no 

Kirill is like Tanev as far as player types go IMO. 

I watched about 4 of his games this year in the OHL and he was always the best dman on the ice. 

Rathbone has always been in amazing shape and very strong for his size. I hope that Kirill does as well as Rathbone has, and as you say Rathbone will land an NHL spot somewhere... Maybe not with us because of the fit with Quinn. 

Recent quotes from Chris Faber:

- July 1st

"After a strong season in the OHL, the 2022 seventh-round pick is poised to be one of the OHL’s top offensive producers from the backend this season.

Kirill Kudryavtsev looked good at Canucks main camp last year and we expect him to be a strong candidate along with Willander and Pettersson as the top defenceman at development camp. Kudryavtsev has good pace and very high puck skills for a defenceman. He thinks the game at a high level and should be a part of the Abbotsford Canucks at the conclusion of his OHL season".

- July 2nd

"Kirill Kurdyavtsev looks bigger than we thought. He’s not the tallest player but he may be the widest. The kid is built like a Mini Cooper".

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Stierlitz said:

- July 2nd

"Kirill Kurdyavtsev looks bigger than we thought. He’s not the tallest player but he may be the widest. The kid is built like a Mini Cooper".

6’0 201 at 19 years old is thicc. Sounds like he’s built like Horvat.

• Like 3
  • Vintage 1

10 hours ago, Stierlitz said:

Well, he did not look so wide before, this is his picture from last season

Could contain: Clothing, Shirt, Adult, Male, Man, Person

Yeah I always thought that he looked slight on TV... Or average size is a better way of putting it. 

Canucks Look to Have Struck Gold With Kirill Kudryavtsev (msn.com)

Follow

Canucks Look to Have Struck Gold With Kirill Kudryavtsev

Story by Scott Clarke, The Hockey Writers  33m ago

Love this article from the Hockey Writers today, I'm even more stoked on this kid now.

Late round gold is what we never seem to have, hopefully Kudryavtsev is that guy :towel:

Could contain: Gray

Edited by Sophomore Jinx
  • Thanks 4

It's so good to hear promising things about our defensive prospects, especially a late round pick, something we haven't had under Benning's regime. He drafted Hughes but I'm not sure I would fully credit him for it because that was a result of other teams ahead of us passing on him.

1 hour ago, canuckwings said:

It's so good to hear promising things about our defensive prospects, especially a late round pick, something we haven't had under Benning's regime. He drafted Hughes but I'm not sure I would fully credit him for it because that was a result of other teams ahead of us passing on him.

You have to give credit when you draft a franchise dman at 7th overall. 

Same with a franchise center at 5th overall. 

10 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

You have to give credit when you draft a franchise dman at 7th overall. 

Same with a franchise center at 5th overall. 

Yup. Thanks to Detroit and Arizona for Quinnand Linden for Petey.