The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2023 NHL Entry Draft

8 hours ago, TheQuietQuitter said:

I don't see a scenario where Leonard is drafted ahead of Benson.  Leonard might have a better shot, but Benson does everything else better.  I can definitely see Benson getting picked ahead of Smith if the team is right.

Here is my unofficial tier list for the top half of the first round based on a mix of personal opinion and research.

Tier 1: Bedard - No doubt.

Tier 2: Fantilli - Maybe a team takes a risk with Michkov here?

Tier 3: Michkov, Carlsson, Benson - I can see Michkov falling out of the top 4 if a team takes the safer approach with Carlsson or Benson.

Tier 4: Smith, Sale, Dvorsky, Yager, Cristall - This is where I feel the draft will open up and everyone's lists will get thrown out the window.

Tier 5: Moore, Leonard, Barlow, Reinbacher, Sandin-Pellikka - Maybe not as talented skill wise as Tier 4, but should project to be regular NHL'ers.

For top 10 my tiers currently are:

1. Bedard

2. Michkov

3. Fantilli / Carlsson

4. Benson / Smith

5. Reinbacher / Leonard / Dvorsky / Moore

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

4 hours ago, stawns said:

I'd say they'll pass mon, phi, stl, probably Cal and maybe even Det.  I expect them to pick 10-12, which puts them in a good spot for ASP or Reinbacher.

I'm still sticking with 8-9 I think. Who are we taking with the Iles .. ah screw it. :lol: I think I would take Reinbacher if he was still there, otherwise Dvorsky, Smith, Leonard. I even like Jager a lot but that may be a reach.

5 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I'm still sticking with 8-9 I think. Who are we taking with the Iles .. ah screw it. :lol: I think I would take Reinbacher if he was still there, otherwise Dvorsky, Smith, Leonard. I even like Jager a lot but that may be a reach.

In most projections, reinbacher is a later first, in the 20 range, only one has him at #11 that I've seen.  I think that'd be too much of a risk to take her m that high

7 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I think Moore is flying a bit under the radar too.  He plays 2C behind Smith, but looks to be a solid player.  They need C

I've had this gut feeling that the Canucks select Matvei Michkov this year. This isn't based on the influx of Russian players to the Canucks lately but more on the fact that the teams ahead in the draft order need help now. Canucks are in a much better position to wait for his arrival and I also think he falls further than where most people have him in their mocks. 

I have been manifesting this for awhile now. You're welcome. 

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

12 minutes ago, stawns said:

I think Moore is flying a bit under the radar too.  He plays 2C behind Smith, but looks to be a solid player.  They need C

I'm not absolutely hellbent either way. I just want the best player we can find. Both Center and RD are critical needs for us. I agree on Moore too. I also agree with @Smashian Kassianthough I think you'll see Reinbacher rise quite a bit. Tough call I'm crossing my fingers. We need this one whichever way they go. If Allvin can hold onto this pick for a couple months. I know it'll be tough. :lol:

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Tanks a lot 1

8 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I'm not absolutely hellbent either way. I just want the best player we can find. Both Center and RD are critical needs for us. I agree on Moore too. I also agree with @Smashian Kassianthough I think you'll see Reinbacher rise quite a bit. Tough call I'm crossing my fingers. We need this one whichever way they go. If Allvin can hold onto this pick for a couple months. I know it'll be tough. :lol:

I'd be more than fine with Reinbacher 10+.  In the top 10, there's simply too many top end fwds to take the risk, imo.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, stawns said:

In most projections, reinbacher is a later first, in the 20 range, only one has him at #11 that I've seen.  I think that'd be too much of a risk to take her m that high

If you are only going off public rankings right now for Reinbacher expect them to change come draft time. He is going to get drafted high. 

Look at his +/- relative to his teammates. I have attached a screenshot.

I am not saying Faber is gospel here by any means but I enjoyed this article he put together and agree with his takes:

hhttps://canucksarmy.com/news/right-shot-defenceman-david-reinbacher-right-pick-canucks-draft-6-9-range

6-10 Sounds like a very realistic Range for Reinabacher. And when you look aaa the value of good RHD prospects and where Nemec / Jiricek were drafted last year it makes a lot of sense.

This kid by all accounts I shaving a great year and can go to the AHL next season and really kick his development up another gear.

If we miss out on the lottery players and slide out of the top 6 range. 

Reinbacher could be our guy.

I wouldn't sleep on him though just because a lot of public media / outside scout lists have him lower currently.

Screen Shot 2023-03-05 at 1.37.49 PM.png

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

12 minutes ago, DeltaSwede said:

I've had this gut feeling that the Canucks select Matvei Michkov this year. This isn't based on the influx of Russian players to the Canucks lately but more on the fact that the teams ahead in the draft order need help now. Canucks are in a much better position to wait for his arrival and I also think he falls further than where most people have him in their mocks. 

I have been manifesting this for awhile now. You're welcome. 

I wonder if the team who gets Michkov will offer a monetary sum to void his contract like Carolina tried to do with Alexander Nikishin earlier this year. 

• Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, R3aL said:

If you are only going off public rankings right now for Reinbacher expect them to change come draft time. He is going to get drafted high. 

I am not saying Faber is gospel here by any means but I enjoyed this article he put together and agree with his takes:

hhttps://canucksarmy.com/news/right-shot-defenceman-david-reinbacher-right-pick-canucks-draft-6-9-range

6-10 Sounds like a very realistic Range for Reinabacher. And when you look aaa the value of good RHD prospects and where Nemec / Jiricek were drafted last year it makes a lot of sense.

This kid by all accounts I shaving a great year and can go to the AHL next season and really kick his development up another gear.

I wouldn't sleep on him though just because a lot of public media / outside scout lists have him lower currently.

I highly doubt it.  There's too many top end fwds ahead of him.  Again, I think 10-12 is a decent risk to take on him.

9 minutes ago, AngryElf said:

I wonder if the team who gets Michkov will offer a monetary sum to void his contract like Carolina tried to do with Alexander Nikishin earlier this year. 

I don't think ska will let him out.........he's too good

13 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Reinbacher is not Nemec/jiricek

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, stawns said:

I highly doubt it.  There's too many top end fwds ahead of him.  Again, I think 10-12 is a decent risk to take on him.

6 minutes ago, stawns said:

Okay, was just sharing some perspective to keep you open minded till draft day.

Our opinions differ.

Also I never said or suggested David Reinbacher was a Nemec / Jiricek. Perhaps you misunderstood. But it was a comment on how RHD are highly valuable assets.

And Nemec going 2nd overall was very evident of that. More perspective he was ranked 9th on Bob Macs Mid Season Rankings.

And even more perspective Seider was ranked bottom half or later all the way up to the draft on the majority of lists including Bob Macs which reflects inside scouting lists better.

So all I am saying is it wouldn't be a shock for me if Reinbacher is the top selected D in the draft and go top 10.

If you remember let's check in at draft day see where he goes! I am wrong a lot though aha :metal:

• Vintage 1
  • Tanks a lot 1

1 hour ago, stawns said:

I would argue Swiss NL is at least a tier above Slovakia and yet Reinbacher has produced at a similar rate to Nemec. I feel pretty confident Reinbacher will go 5-8 on draft day. We will see. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

8 hours ago, HighOnHockey said:

I think you've gotta seriously consider it. For me the question is do you see Leonard as a play-driving C? The thing I've always been high on about Leonard is his versatility. But is he just a 3C/2W? Or could he end up more a 2C/1W? Wouldn't take him at six though. After the big four I've got Smith and Dvorsky next up. I've been watching highlights of Dvorsky at the junior level, and it's almost funny how physically imposing he is. Reminds me of Mason McTavish playing junior in his draft year, just leans on people and bulls his way to where he wants to go.

He has the play-driving ability. For me, he is nowhere close to the player he will become. Once he gets away from playing with Smith, I think he will shine more. He has the playmaking ability along with the size and finishing to generate offense from centre but hasn't been able to showcase any of it because he's been made to be the finisher on his line while Smith and Perrault dominate the possession of the puck. He is more like a 2C/1W. If the top six (Bedard, Fantilli, Michkov, Carlsson, Smith, Benson) are gone, I think the Canucks would be deciding between Leonard and Reinbacher. Dvorsky is good, but the team might like the contrast between Leonard and Pettersson as their top 2 centres. 

32 minutes ago, hammertime said:

I would argue Swiss NL is at least a tier above Slovakia and yet Reinbacher has produced at a similar rate to Nemec. I feel pretty confident Reinbacher will go 5-8 on draft day. We will see. 

In a different year, I might agree with you

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

In a different year, I might agree with you

So who are these fwds that are so good we shouldn't pass up and why? I can understand Benson and Smith deserving to be in the conversation after that I don't see anyone really giving me pause. If we draft 7th which I think is our most likely outcome who do you want?

5 minutes ago, hammertime said:

So who are these fwds that are so good we shouldn't pass up and why? I can understand Benson and Smith deserving to be in the conversation after that I don't see anyone really giving me pause. If we draft 7th which I think is our most likely outcome who do you want?

Bedard

Michkov

Fantilli

Carlsson

Smith

Cristal

Benson

Moore

Leonard

Heidt

Simashev

Then I'd be looking at ASP or Reinbacher, though, depending what team I worked for, I'd likely lean toward ASP over Reinbacher

• Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, stawns said:

Bedard

Michkov

Fantilli

Carlsson

Smith

Cristal

Benson

Moore

Leonard

Heidt

Simashev

Then I'd be looking at ASP or Reinbacher, though, depending what team I worked for, I'd likely lean toward ASP over Reinbacher

Just out of curiosity how many hours/ days have you spent watching video/ games and reading scouting reports ? 

How do you come to your conclusions ?

I know guys like Hammer and Isam live for this sh!t 

I do agree that ASP and Reinbacher are only in the mix - top ten- simply because they are those mythical RHD that all teams want.