The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2023 NHL Entry Draft

1 hour ago, BCNate said:

I think most would expect that Benson and Smith will be the next off the board, in either order.  I do think they are in their own tier.  

After that it will be chaos, Sale, Dvorsky, Cristall, Moore, Yager, Barlow, Leonard, Danielson could go in any order.  I'd expect that at least 2 D are mixed there as well.  

I really feel we will come away with Yager if we go with a C, or Reinbacher if we go D.

It's going to come down to how players raise their own stocks as they finish their seasons.  Players who are on teams that are competing longer in their Championship runs will most likely get a small boost to their draft positions if they take their game to another level.  We saw that with Horvat during his scoring run with the London Knights.

10 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

What do you guys think of Andrew cristall?

My quick and short uninformed opinion:

Electric offensive threat.  Needs to focus on his defensive game.

I wonder how he compares to Kent Johnson?

Edited by TheQuietQuitter
Would not be disappointed if we drafted him.

28 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

What do you guys think of Andrew cristall?

He is crazy talented, and putting up a huge season.  I personally would have him below Michkov, Benson, Sale, Barlow in terms of wingers.  Michkov and Benson I feel are at a higher level, and if we are not getting someone at their level, I'd rather get bigger on the wings. 

My guess is that Cristall goes in the 12-20 range and some team is going to be really happy.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Sorry if this has been posted, but I really like these little game recaps for a specific player. Here is one for a game for Reinbacher that he played two weeks ago. 

We're falling out of a top-6 spot quickly, probably going to have a 10th overall pick at this rate so time to start studying this area. I think a top player will fall out of the top-6 who we could snag but unlikely anyone great, so think we're more likely going to be picking the best of the rest. I'd be happy with a defenceman if all of the top talents are gone. I was going to be happy with a guy like Smith, Yager, Dvorsky or Benson but I think they'll all be gone by 10th overall so we have to give a guy like Reinbacher, Gulyayev or SP a decent look. I think after the Hronek pick-up, surely we don't go for yet another puck mover, and hone in on Reinbacher.

• Cheers 1

Pretty crazy to see Detroit with 5 picks in almost the top 40. They could realistically walk away with a decent future top 6 center like Yager/Leonard, one of Gulyayev or Reinbacher with the NYI pick, Strbak with our 2nd, someone who falls out of the first round like Bonk or Price and then a winger like Ciernik.

That's a future top-6 center, top-9 winger and three top-4 defencemen. Obviously not all of them will pan out but if you pick 3 defencemen, surely a couple of them will become decent NHLers and these late 1st/high 2nds are going to be the best picks for them.

• Sad 1

Reinbacher opened the scoring on the PP in yesterdays game against SC Bern and added another primary assist making it a two-point game for him. Yesterday's game was the second in the play-in round for the playoffs and his team won the game 4-1 at home. The series against SC Bern is now tied (1-1). Making it to the play-in round for the playoffs is already a huge success for this team.

2 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Pretty crazy to see Detroit with 5 picks in almost the top 40. They could realistically walk away with a decent future top 6 center like Yager/Leonard, one of Gulyayev or Reinbacher with the NYI pick, Strbak with our 2nd, someone who falls out of the first round like Bonk or Price and then a winger like Ciernik.

That's a future top-6 center, top-9 winger and three top-4 defencemen. Obviously not all of them will pan out but if you pick 3 defencemen, surely a couple of them will become decent NHLers and these late 1st/high 2nds are going to be the best picks for them.

Yzerman has not only a plan but also a strategy how to build a stanley cup contender. He takes full advantage of one of the best draft classes in recent years adding more talent to the team, whereas the Canucks decided not to take full advantage of the deep draft. In a couple of years we'll see what approach has proven to be more successful. Yeah, some prospects won't pan out but with the sheer number of picks in the first two rounds of the draft you'll add at least two more impact players to the roster.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I feel like Gulyayev and Reinbacher might both be gone by the time their Islanders' pick comes up.  You think two of the highest rated d-men will be available at 18th overall?  I suppose there's the Swedish d-man and Simashev, but I'd be shocked if there isn't a run on d-men that happens in the early teens. 

What a blast from Reinbacher on the PP to open the scoring :o. In addition the accuracy of the shot is notable shooting the puck five hole. Enthusiastic playoff atmosphere in the stands. Ray Ferraro talked about the special atmosphere in European buildings  recently on the Ray & Dregs podcast. Ray's son plays pro-hockey in Germany's top league and Ray has been in Germany several times to watch his son playing hockey.

Edited by Wolfgang Durst
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Would you rather:

1. Keep OEL for the next 4 seasons and draft Reinbacher (who could possibly join the team in 4-5 years)

2. Trade the 1st and OEL in a package (maybe adding Hoglander or Rathbone) = clean slate

Definitely the first for me. I think a healthy OEL has a bit more to give and with the acquisition of Hronek I think if OEL even played to what he did previous seasons we could let Reinbacher develop on his own time and run with an OEL - Hronek pairing if Hronek isn't playing with Hughes. This also allows other prospects like Filip Johansson develop and even bring Wolanin up as a 3rd pairing. 

With the second scenario I feel like we'd be giving up assets for cap space which is valuable but mostly because of the economic state the league is in and in a few seasons cap-space is going up and there would be less of a premium than it is now. I think it would be short-sighted to turn a new page without getting a quality piece back, and I would be inclined to assume that we aren't going to with that package. 

TLDR - run with the first scenario and let cost controlled contracts develop and move up as we unwind on albatross contracts. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

41 minutes ago, saucypass said:

Definitely the first for me. I think a healthy OEL has a bit more to give and with the acquisition of Hronek I think if OEL even played to what he did previous seasons we could let Reinbacher develop on his own time and run with an OEL - Hronek pairing if Hronek isn't playing with Hughes. This also allows other prospects like Filip Johansson develop and even bring Wolanin up as a 3rd pairing. 

With the second scenario I feel like we'd be giving up assets for cap space which is valuable but mostly because of the economic state the league is in and in a few seasons cap-space is going up and there would be less of a premium than it is now. I think it would be short-sighted to turn a new page without getting a quality piece back, and I would be inclined to assume that we aren't going to with that package. 

TLDR - run with the first scenario and let cost controlled contracts develop and move up as we unwind on albatross contracts. 

I wonder as well, if OEL has another gear, or anymore life left in good hockey. He's been coached by Tocchet before though and this just might be the player he is. Will there be any improvement or more decline? Well, considering the sad state of the Canucks prospects, it would sure be nice to add another good young player down the road. Who knows what JR/PA will do though if VAN ends up picking 12-15. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

Would you rather:

1. Keep OEL for the next 4 seasons and draft Reinbacher (who could possibly join the team in 4-5 years)

2. Trade the 1st and OEL in a package (maybe adding Hoglander or Rathbone) = clean slate

100000% option 1.  We aren't going to be be that competitive next season, no way they give up this 1st.  I'd expect that they will really manage his minutes next year, and have him on the third pair.  Obviously bad value for the third pair, but hopefully he can be a useful player if he is more sheltered.

• Vintage 1

At this stage I think the bottom 4 are pretty set:

ANA- 17 games left 51 points

SJ- 16 games left 50 points

CHI- 18 games left 49 points

CBS- 18 games left 47 points

I can't see any of these teams getting hot and catching us.

I think we fit firmly in the 5-9 range:

9) STL- 18 games left 61 points

8)VAN- 18 games left 59 points

7)PHI- 17 games left 59 points

6)MTL- 17 games left 58 points

5)AZ- 17 games left 56 points

My guess is that we pick somewhere in this tier.  The odds of winning one of the lotteries only changes by 3% in that group.  There are going to be some great options in this range:

Benson

Smith

Sale

Dvorsky

Yager

Reinbacher

I think the other teams are just to far ahead for us to catch.  Assume we go 12-6 down the stretch and end with 83 points

13) Nash- 20 games left 69 points (7-13)

12) Wash- 16 games left 69 points  (7-9)

11) Buff- 18 games left 68 points   (7-9-1)

10) Det- 18 games left 67 points   (8-10)

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

Most of Canucks fans will be hoping for a good prospect with size who fits an organizational need like RD or C. History has shown us that we will pick a small undersized winger with skill 

And the Canucks pick.... RW Michkov 

Edited by kenhodgejr
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, kenhodgejr said:

Most of Canucks fans will be hoping for a good prospect with size who fits an organizational need like RD or C. History has shown us that we will pick a small undersized winger with skill 

I don't see Michkov dropping past the top 5 picks. Russian status notwithstanding. 

On 3/10/2023 at 5:29 AM, DownUndaCanuck said:

Guess work....

Nobody knows how well they'll progress

and secondly, when....

picking OJ and Woo should have told us, that nothing is guaranteed....

Edited by spook007
  • There it is 1

2 hours ago, kenhodgejr said:

If this is the case, then we’ve basically won the lottery. By many accounts, if it wasn’t for the the Russian factor, Michkov would be a lock at #2. 

I haven’t seen enough of him to form a strong opinion either way, but with so many experts touting his next level skill, I’d be very excited if we somehow landed him. 

• Cheers 1