The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2023 NHL Entry Draft

1 hour ago, eeeeergh said:

yea i forgot the Boeser thing too

this management group took heat for the boudreau stuff but honestly thats just the racket. it wasnt handled perfectly but coaching is a revolving door.

sticking by boeser was not only a classy move but also the smart one. Bailing on a 24 year old who was coming off a monster goal scoring season would have been silly. I think Boeser is a very high probability bounce back candidate. 

My understanding isn’t that they stuck with Boeser but that they were stuck with him. He was shopped for a year and there were no takers.

7 minutes ago, steviewonder20 said:

My understanding isn’t that they stuck with Boeser but that they were stuck with him. He was shopped for a year and there were no takers.

Brock wasn’t shopped. At one point his Brock and his agent issued a trade request because of the lovely media in Vancouver and how hard things were going for him and his family. He removed his request later in the season. The only real shopping was done through his agent. 

• There it is 1

17 minutes ago, NuckLuck19 said:

ok dude. I’ll write an apology to the Canucks  under 5’9” and any draft eligible player as I’m sure I’ve completely shattered every one of their sense of self 

I will also ensure I get a support animal for any player on the team who I’ve shattered psychologically, as they may never be the same now from being called a smurf on a message board. I’m sure they are going to need years of therapy to come back from this. I’m really sorry for being an “abuser”

these poor men, i had no idea they were reading here and such fragile flowers that you must protect!

what in the world is going on with people lol

Settle down 

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • There it is 1

Just now, NuckLuck19 said:

Dude, this guy is attacking me for using the word Smurf lol, I’m not the one who needs to settle down 

I followed the whole conversation. He didn’t attack you. He’s not a fan of calling people smurfs which I can understand. Not everyone is gifted with height. Blown out of proportion. Ilunga is a really good dude 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • There it is 1

6 hours ago, R3aL said:

Ya its his number one issue. Almost like Raymond he takes himself out of plays, or he doesn't harness his speed wisely.

Which could be line mates / system related or it could be his IQ.

In an interview he himself acknowledged hes working on his IQ and learning how to use his speed smarter.

Like he skates himself into danger or into a dead end play with no support at times. Or literally into the boards/corner.

I also find hes not the best puck carrier similar to Mason Raymond again in that regard.

Whereas say Nate Danielson knows how to use his speed effectively and usually pulls defenders into him to make space for his line mates.

And Nate didn't work with the most talented line mates or team so I think it is an IQ difference between them that almost negates the marginal speed difference. I think Nate is a very effective and fast skater.

-

His shot is kind of a strength and a weakness I think. In close it looks good, like quick and accurate but from distance I dont see it. Maybe with power / strength training that will come quick though.

Second line he also go softer matchups to exploit. And I happened to watch him play some really uninspiring games that really left a bad impression I haven't been able to fully shake for him.

I do like his progression path in front of him if hes given lots of patience. I think he needs years before coming to the NHL. Like he needs a year or two at the NCAA after Cooley leaves to be the GUY for the first time in his career.

And then you are looking at a guy who has been kind of sheltered for many development years that top end guys, or playing high up on lineups getting the hard matchups.

I know its not a popular opinion but it is mine that Danielson > Moore.

Thanks for that I appreciate the response. I am hoping it isn't just a bias now I have between the two and that I am seeing things clearly.

But end of the day I like Moore too. I am just more worried about his Hockey IQ than anything else.

I've had some question marks around his overall play creation too, but he did look pretty damn good when he was between Eiserman and Hagens. I have Eiserman ranked 3rd for 2024 and Hagens 1st for 2025 so far, so it's easy for anyone to look good with them, but it did seem like when he didn't have to be counted on to be "the guy" driving play offensively, he did ok keeping up with those two.

Rewatching the U18s gold medal game today, and that was one of the game-altering changes USA's coaching made down 2-0 after two. As Craig Button explains it, Hagens and Eiserman had been called up a few weeks prior and played with Moore and had an immediate spark, but USA wanted to get Hagens back to his natural center position so they moved them down to the third and Moore played mostly with Fine, Terrance and Hendrickson through the U18s. But struggling to create offense and with the gold medal on the line they went back to that dynamic 1-2 line punch and it was just too much for Sweden to handle in the third period. Now again, I'm not sure how much credit should go to Moore as he's the veteran on the line but those kids are two of the best prospects in recent years.

Edited by HighOnHockey
  • Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Benson will not be a center. No chance. He'll be a good winger.

I don't see these comparisons at all. Benson has skill but his game based on intelligence, he reads the play at an elite level. Those guys were flashy scorers in juniors, they didn't play the 200ft game Benson does. Benson could be a PKer in the NHL.

Not saying we need to draft him or you have to want us to take him or anything, I just don't see these comparables. Benson is more substance than flash like those guys (Goldy & Shinkaruk specifically). 

If Reinbacher, Dvorsky, Willander & Barlow are all gone by 11, I'd really consider it.

Move back & take Simashev ideally, or else Yager imo (or maybe Wood), solve a big $$$ issue & add a 2nd which should get us a good player. Its very enticing. 

From all the scouting reports I have read the only thing that is holding him back from being a true centre is his face off percentage, which from the games tracked in one report for example was only 38 percent.

His teammate Matty Savoie was at 68 percent.

They all seem to indicate apart from that he has the game to have success at the centre position. 

His " shiftyness " Hockey IQ and low centre of gravity will help him to avoid getting consistently smashed.

I could really see a mixture of centre and wing with him.

I think that like Michkov he is a polarising player, in his case just because of his size. 

As much as I can't wait for each draft, I look forward to five years down the track to see how all these players have developed.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Devron said:

I followed the whole conversation. He didn’t attack you. He’s not a fan of calling people smurfs which I can understand. Not everyone is gifted with height. Blown out of proportion. Ilunga is a really good dude 

Did i call him a Smurf? No I called a prospect who’s 5’8” a Smurf and said we don’t need more small players. 

so he can choose to not call small players Smurfs. I choose to do so. I have that right. 

get back to hockey dude 

Edited by NuckLuck19

2 minutes ago, NuckLuck19 said:

Did i call him a Smurf? No I called a prospect who’s 5’8” a Smurf and said we don’t need more small players. 

so he can choose to not call small players Smurfs. I choose to do so. I have that right. 

Hit me with Brindley though. I think my ideal trade down scenario would be. 11oa for the picks to take Simashev + Brindley. I am not advocating a trade down. 

As a fan of watching hockey I think Brindly is great for the sport. If he can stay healthy he could be a special player. 

4 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Hit me with Brindley though. I think my ideal trade down scenario would be. 11oa for the picks to take Simashev + Brindley. I am not advocating a trade down. 

As a fan of watching hockey I think Brindly is great for the sport. If he can stay healthy he could be a special player. 

I like the idea of trading down if we can get 2 quality players, but don’t want smurfs. We need players with size, strong skating ability and who are massive competitors on our team.

Other teams may be bigger and can afford to take smaller guys, we can’t.

Look at Vegas’s defense. There’s a reason they won the cup and those 6 players who are all over 6’2” 200lbs+ were a big part of it 

Edited by NuckLuck19

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

Well.  I won't give any reasoning for it because I just don't see the need to give an opinion on every player but I'll do my best here and this is not in order of who teams will pic; just my opinion only on who will be the more successful player over the five years post draft

Hips List:

1. Fantilli

2. Carlsson

3. Bedard

4. Smith

5. Dvorsky

6. Sale

7. Michkov

8. Wood

9. Reinbacher

10. Barlow

11. Simashaev

12. Danielson

13. M Hrabal

14. Leonard

15. Honzek

16. Musty

17. Bruszteweicz

18. Sandin-Pellika

19. Willander

20. Moore

21. Ritchie

22. But

23. Gulyav

24. Bonk

25. Benson

26. Augustine

27. Zeimer

28. Halttunen

29. Ciernek

30. Heidt

31. Stenberg

32. Perreault

That's about it really.  No mention of teams.  Just players I think will be impactful over the next 5-10 years and I struggled putting Benson and Perreault on that list at all.

Moore at 20 and Benson at 25 is interesting.

Edited by Pure961089

3 hours ago, eeeeergh said:

i hope podz proves me wrong

i really really do

if he becomes a 2nd line winger that brings physicality, forechecking, and can play on our PK while putting in 20-25 goals, id say thats very valuable to us

but for now.. idk. i was pretty disappointed in his last season.

I dont think anyone was more disappointed then himself.

But realistically they style of game he plays and what not and the strange dev path he has had its not that huge of a surprise hes going to take longer to arrive.

Look at Ivan Barbashev.

Yes he wasn't drafted as high, and yes we should expect more from Podz given his draft position.

But it took him 5-6 years till he made an impact. And that was with a cleaner development path.

Then even after that it took him a little longer to have a statistical breakthrough in the regular season, drafted 2014 and it wasn't until 21-22 season he hit 60 points.

And this year he was a playoff animal.

So 8-9 Years post draft could be Podkolzins coming out. It was for Bertuzzi too. Im going to stay optimistic. These kind of players are hard to come by and can take longer to develop / mature.

• Cheers 2